Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Law's Edge

atkrye

King of Quests

Application format:

Name of your project:
(undecided-something bandity but it will really depend on the first to live there. Idea for a name is "Law's Edge")

Location of your project (provide ingame screenshots and/or location on the map):
i was thinking here (attached map.jpg), but it can really be placed anywhere out of the way. if pvp is an issue, it could even be built in a seperate world :D

Size of your project :
big. Not entirely sure, it depends how popular it is. I can see it growing even up to a 10x10 area of plots.

Why can't your project be made by plots you claim personally:
1. Because the town shouldn't belong to anyone. It is ruled by the currently most powerful, so the whole mayor system doesnt work.
2. Im already in a town, and plan to visit this town as my alter ego, so i dont want to have to leave my current town

Who will be building this project:
Anyone who goes there. It will hopefully be free to build, with slight moderation to remove silly things.

Why would it be a good addition to our server:
Every nation ever has crime. A town like this would allow players to let their slightly more lawless side out- with rules such as murder, theft and such being absolutely fine within the borders of the town.​
Rp would be great in the town, with many players' alter egos forming together in gangs and having gang wars and such entirely independent of the rest of the world.​

Also, as the town would be free to build (i.e. dont h
ave to join to build, just build where there is space), it would be great for new players who dont have towns yet.

Used materials:
A lot of wood, sand and sandstone I imagine. It honestly depends on the players who live there.
Inspiration:
Just general lawless areas- it will be quite slum-y and mismatch
Backstory/introduction (who, what, why, where, how ?):
When Queen Grief struck altera, and the entire world left their possessions and homes behind, certain individuals felt cheated out of their hard work.
Two certain individuals, known as The Vaquero and Mad Murderin' Bill (although they look suspiciously like atkrye and billybob579 in leather hats), decided to find a spot where they could escape the law to earn back their belongings, through cheating embezzeling and stealing. The spot quickly grew out of control, with any sense of order being lost, and only the strongest ruling. People banded together into gangs that terrorized neighborhoods.​
People do what they can to survive. They steal and murder and the only form of justice is vigilante justice.
It exists as a place of haven from the law, and quickly became known as Law's Edge.
Planning (provide screenshots, plans, ideas, write it all out):
There really cant be much planning or screenshots. Building depends on the members of the 'town', although hopefully vigilante justice will regulate ridiculous buildings :D

Attachments

billybob_579

Legend of Altera
Love this idea. When he suggested an alternate world, it occurred to me that (if such a thing was necessary for the town to exist) it could be a deserty world (many a bandit town have been seen in deserts) in which the entire thing is "Law's Edge" and its a sort of seperate area in which anyone can build a home, but lockette would not be permitted, theft is allowed (not griefing though), and Player vs Player is enabled. Because of this, people that trust each other would be more likely to band together into gangs and whatnot, and there would be sparse settlements spread out where war and anarchy truly is a viable option. Resources would be harder to come by, people would be fighting over watering holes and oasises (oasises? oasai? Kinda like cacti, I suppose). Just another thought for it, but in any case, this sounds like a very good idea and I fully support it.

Also, dont know if this is possible, but if its made as an alternate world, perhaps it could be set so resources cannot be carried over from Altera to Law's Edge. That way it really does feel isolated and it would a higher priority to locate water, trees, grassy areas, and so on.

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
From a moderation point of view that place would be a nightmare, essentially I'd say if it went ahead it's simply do what you want within town limits, admins won't interfere (unless it's swearing/flymod abuse/redstone circuit abuse etc.)

Otherwise it'd be almost impossible to moderate.

atkrye

King of Quests
half, all the normal rules you mentioned would still apply, aswell as certain building regulations i spose, e.g. must be made out of the materials i mentioned

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Make this more specific. If you want special build permission i need to know it is very planned out.

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Can you draw up a list of initial rules that you see this having. I know it sounds a bit daft but I'm trying to see how it'd be possible to actually moderate this build once it's in use. You're opening up the laws so how far do you go?

atkrye

King of Quests
Make this more specific. If you want special build permission i need to know it is very planned out.
Can you be more specific with what you mean by specific? Like i say, its hard to plan a place when it is supposed to sort of grow by itself and look natural
Can you draw up a list of initial rules that you see this having. I know it sounds a bit daft but I'm trying to see how it'd be possible to actually moderate this build once it's in use. You're opening up the laws so how far do you go?
1.Murdering is fine
2.Stealing is fine
3.Griefing is not allowed
4.No cobble towers
5.All buildings must still be medieval- nothing modern or futuristic
6.You can build anywhere within the town, as long as it hasnt already been built on
Apart from that all normal rules apply.
I can see an issue with claiming land- i.e. if someone has half built a house and you build a house on the 2nd half, so maybe you would have to clearly mark out land that's yours.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Atkrye, go read the updated building format.
You dont have to remake an app but try to fill in the areas taht are new.

atkrye

King of Quests
Minecraft Username:
atkrye

Name of Project:
Law's Edge

Location of Project: (Either screenshots, a link to the map or coords)
As of yet im still not even sure if it is possible in this world. If it is I would like to put it in the desert i put a link to in the original post.

Size of the project: (The more exact you are the more likely it is you will be granted permission)
As big as possible. Large open spaces will be needed to give that real feel for a wasteland without law- with the 'gangs' hopefully having separated small settlements.

Intention of the project: (Is it a fortress, a keep, a castle, a maze, a dungeon etc etc. DO NOT! apply for ahouse, as builds will be public.)
The project is intended to bring a hardcore element to the server. Although I love hollowworld, there are times when I wish I could just break the laws, and go out and murder and steal.
Laws Edge would be an out of the way area which would allow players who wish to to literally go out and play as a bandit or thug without having to worry about being banned (as long as they keep it within the area).
The area is planned to be a 'sort of town' which would be a sprawling mess of buildings- with alleys and hidden tunnels. It would be just like what you would expect from a place without government.
The overall plan is for people to move to this 'town' and build a house where they can find space (or barter for it). There will be certain building restrictions as will be explained later, but the plan is for it to look like a natural sprawling town. Players will then be able to murder and steal in the town, and hopefully form into gangs which would compete for rule of the town.
It would overall add a whole new element of trusting your gang and neighbors and would be a great roleplay and community experience.
The planned laws (only apply within the area!) are:

Gameplay:
-Pvp is fine, as are revenge killings and vigilante justice
-Stealing is fine, and lockette should probably be banned
-Scams are perfectly acceptable
-Griefing is not allowed, as usual
-All other gameplay rules, such as xraying and general cheating are not allowed

Building:
-Buildings must be kept simple and small, as to maintain the feel of a lack of order. Anything larger should attempt to look poorly built- even possibly slightly lobsided
-Building materials must be cheap, again to improve the bandit feel

Reason for inability to claim plots personally: (Why is it unrealistic to claim yourselves?)

1. Because the town shouldn't belong to anyone. It is ruled by the currently most powerful, so the whole mayor system doesnt work.
2. I like many other people will want to visit the town as my criminal alter ego ('The Vaquero') so I will want to be able to still have the usual Hollowworld experience at the same time.

Residents: (Who will live there after its completion?)
Anyone who wants to. I want the project to be free to build- so anyone can set up home here and even play as their criminal 'alter ego'. However, I know of several people who have expressed an interest in living here.

Builders: (Who will help build the project?)
Myself, billybob579, and literally anyone else who wants to help- or rather who wants to get in quick and get set up in order to rule any newcomers.

Why is this a good addition to HollowWorld? (I want a full reason, not "It will look good")
It would be a truly unique experience.

Every nation ever has crime. A town like this would allow players to let their slightly more lawless side out- with rules such as murder, theft and such being absolutely fine within the borders of the town. Players would be able to take on criminal alter egos and have their own bid at ruling Law's Edge.
Rp would be great in the town, with many players' alter egos forming together in gangs and having gang wars and such entirely independent of the rest of the world. There would be a huge stress on trusting your friends unlike anything else in Hollowworld. Hopefully, there would be a general aim to rule Law's Edge so the compeition and resulting roleplay rivalries would be brilliant.
Also, as the town would be free to build (i.e. dont have to join to build, just build where there is space), it would be great for new players who don't have towns yet. If there is a new player who doesn't want to choose a town yet, and wants to get to know the server first, they can simply set up shop in Law's Edge and hang out until they have made a decision.
It also opens Hollowworld up to players who would otherwise ignore it because it is not a traditionally 'hardcore server'- whereas murdering and stealing are closer to this. A place like this could even bring a few new players to the server who might even play solely in the Law's Edge area.
It would overall make a great contribution to the server's community, roleplay and would make the server seem more realistic, given its input of criminality that would be expected in a kingdom of Altera.

Used materials:
As it is supposed to be bandit-y so i would imagine there would be a focus on easy to find materials, such as planks, logs and sand/sandstone

Inspiration:
I suppose given the concepts, there is a fair bit of inspiration from Westerns (although this isnt very medieval, the building style, rp talk and such can be adjusted to suit medieval times). However, In general, inspiration is simply taken from general thievery and bandits in history, cinema and games.

RP explanation/introduction: (I expect a nice, well thought out full length paragraph. I will litterally decline it for solely a bad RP section. Make it nice. If you arent the best story teller dont worry, as long as you made it obvious you put effort in, ill most likely grant it. Also feel free to ask me Lars or Fitz or any of the rolemasters for help)
When Queen Grief struck altera, and the entire world left their possessions and homes behind, certain individuals felt cheated out of their hard work.
Two certain individuals, known as The Vaquero and Mad Murderin' Bill (although they look suspiciously like atkrye and billybob579 in leather hats), decided to find a spot where they could escape the law to earn back their belongings, through cheating embezzling and stealing. The spot quickly grew out of control, with any sense of order being lost, and only the strongest ruling. People banded together into gangs that terrorized neighborhoods.​
People do what they can to survive. They steal and murder and the only form of justice is vigilante justice.
It exists as a place of haven from the law, and quickly became known as Law's Edge.

Planning: (If youve got any screenshots/sketches/proof of concepts, please put them here)
I have no plan. Like I say, I want it to look like a natural sprawling town, and easier to just let that happen as apposed to planning it.

Links to previous work: See attached images. There's a town I worked on from an old server, and a huge cavern I worked on in an old server. However, since it will mainly be resident built it my work should only really apply to my own house :p

Attachments

billybob_579

Legend of Altera
Again, love the idea. Two things I'd point out:

For "Links to Previous Works" for atkrye, go look on the old world at Dustwood or Chilvers Landing, or at the new Ascension Heights. He didnt build everything there, but he's definitely proved himself a brilliant architect.

You stated that revenge killing is acceptable. I hope this means "I saw him steal my stuff, I'm going to kill him." Not "He killed me, I'm going to kill him." If it is the latter, this completely shatters all roleplay and basically turns it into a DarkRP town from Garry's Mod (for those of you who know the horror). Killing to retreive stolen goods seems not only fitting with roleplay, but also logical. Killing to avenge yourself is completely unrealistic (duh) and just doesnt fit with the theme of the server.

Just things to consider. Sounds great, looking forward to it if/when it gets accepted.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Billy is right. Ive played some gmod, some cs beta and a lot of hlrp.
no avenge killing.

SanchezNI

Lord of Altera
I don't see why this needs special permission or why it can't be done with Towny using the current mayor system - I understand your point that the 'ruler' is the one who is most powerful, in which case the current mayor just has to concede his position and add someone else as a mayor.

It's perfectly do-able.

billybob_579

Legend of Altera
As atkrye and I discussed this together, I believe I can say that what he means is: This will be a town that any can travel to in order to test their skill and luck, trying to build up their own group and gain power. It will be a town that will be good fun for people all across the server, whether or not the belong to a town. Additionally, this is a "free-for-all" sort of place where people can come and go as they please (restrictions on building a house and just leaving for good though, obviously). Therefore, it would be nigh impossible for a mayor to add people whenever they want to visit the town and experience being at the edge of the law.

For this reason, it was stated that the town is a free-build type area in which "outsiders" can build and destroy. Thus, people that belong in another town but are on the run from the law or receive a call for help from a friend are still able to head out and set up to defend what is theirs.

By extent, a town with no people (free to all) can have only as many plots as the mayor (two, I think) and is thus not doable.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Well, you can actually purchase more plots, and also, the mayor can change the perms so that outsiders can do whatever.
Upon further consideration i think sanchez is right, you guys can do this without admin backing.
(Besides special permission building is like royalty subsidized projects, kings wouldnt subsidize this)
Sorry guys i think im actuall going to have to say no.

billybob_579

Legend of Altera
Absolutely, definitely not backtalking here, but I'm sure the intent was understood. Additional plots can be purchased, but the price for all the plots necessary would be astronomical. Thats one reason why it couldnt be done ourselves. Especially since the value of the currency has essentially dropped and extra plots remain 10k. Secondly, I thought (again, not backtalking) special permission building was for things that would benefit the server and its players on whole, not necessarily things that kings, the medieval ruler (not specifically admins), would support. After all, the 50k is being paid to the "crown" for a new town and protection from whatever may do it harm, but a bandit town wouldn't necessarily need to pay the 50k in the first place, would it? I do not wish to debate the point, I'm just trying to understand why.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Yeah sorry the king subsidization bit was a joke, i thought it was implied by the parenthasese.
As for special building permission, well its meant to be a way for good builders to build even if they arnt good money makers. However billy i know for a fact that you are a good money maker and regardless, this could be done effectively without admin money.
Make it a town and set your own rules. Find a few people willing to always live there to help with the plots and dont make it to big. A giant lawless bandit town is unrealistic, the kings wouldnt let it go unmolested. A lawless town we be a small hidden backwater village.
a 10 x 10 is quite large. That is 160 blocks in each direction. That is unrealisticly large. Look at revens nest, im sure that it is contained in less than 100 plots, and you should not look to be larger than ravens nest.

atkrye

King of Quests
(no backtalking here either)
Make it a town and set your own rules. Find a few people willing to always live there to help with the plots and dont make it to big. A giant lawless bandit town is unrealistic, the kings wouldnt let it go unmolested.
Surely legion, you can see this possible Lawless vs. Law roleplay events that could result from this, with the gangs having to stop fighting to hold off the crown :D
And like Billy says, 10k a plot is very expensive. Even if he is a good money maker, a 5x5 area covered by additional plots would be 250000, and I would still think that would be too small.