Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Law's Edge

Joel

Lord of Altera
I also think (correct me if im wrong) that they applied for permision because they wanted to check they were allowed to do summet like this

atkrye

King of Quests
partly that, but also, me and billy are already ruling a town and we really want this to be a side thing that literally anyone can take part in without having to have any management, so I really cant see it being part of our town working, especially considering we would have to buy an outpost for it.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Hey i know the implications of rp, but something large is unrealistic.
Also it wouldnt be 250000, it would only be 210000(You each get two free plots)
And yes it is a lot, but if you start out small at maybe a 3 x 3 and start building, youll see wether or not it works. Besides, if you and billy are going to be split between your official town and this one, then there is no guarantee you two will stay committed, or that enough people would use it to fill all 100 plots.

Ok so for a 5 x 5, that is 25 plots.
Houses can easily fit into a single plot area, and you might even be able to fit in two. You really think 25 people will always be there?

I think you ought to scale it back, and when you do you will find that it wont be all that hard to get the required amount of money.

atkrye

King of Quests
Legion, I still dont think you fully understand the concept (no offence). Me and billy arent going to be managing it at all, aside from taking out ridiculous structures. maybe 10x10 was a little ambitious, you could start us off with 5x5 or so and expand it as it goes if your concerned about the size

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
No i do understand it.
But i think 20+ people is way too ambitious
We wont start seeing returns from an rp aspect for a while. Start it small. Heck start it as a 2 x 2 with you and billy (That is 4 plots, which you get for free, so the only cost is 50,000 to start it)
If it works well, get some money and make it a 3 x 3. Now you are at 9 plots, and if you could find 9 people who always want to be part of the town then id be impressed. From there simply add on plots as you get money for them.
If you get a lot more people, then make them live 2 houses to a plot. (This could be done easily and still fit the theme)

I love the idea, i really do, but it is easily feasible that this could be done by yourselves. Go get like 2 more people who always want to live there, and then with 4 people it will be easy to come up with the money needed for expansion, and you would get 8 plots for free.

atkrye

King of Quests
The fundamental issue is that i dont want to have to run it myself because i want it to be a public thing :p if i find 10 people who would join from the start or something like that would you consider it?

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Well ark i think that this really can be done legitimately. If you dont want to be the one to manage it, find someone else who will and will also let you put in whatever aid you want.
Ya see the thing about this build is that it wont be interesting to most people right from the start, as it wont be all bandity. It will take some time for it to get ready and start being interesting, and we would rather not take the chance that you decide it isnt going to work before that point.

Here is what i think you should do.
Get you, billy and 2 others together, who want to be perm residents.
Gather 50,000 and start the town, and claim 8 plots for free.
Start inviting people to come, if you make it so that you have 2 houses per plot, then youve got 16 potential houses. Then begin claiming plots as it gets bigger and more people decide to.
You see, it only needs residents to get it off the ground, once you have say 4 permanent residnets, then youll have enough plots to make it public, and with 4 people getting money for new plots isnt that hard.

SanchezNI

Lord of Altera
The impression I get is you guys want to have it but don't want to leave your towns or pay to have it. That isn't what the special permissions section is for.

I appreciate that you think it would be a good roleplaying area, but I disagree. You're saying PvP would be enabled, stealing is fine and the area would ultimately be a dog-eat-dog area where players fight and vie for 'total control'. Good roleplaying cannot be achieved in such a scenario, it would be utter mayhem with PKs going on left right and centre. It'll be a hive of "OMG HE KILLED ME! CAN I HAVE MY STUFF BACK" irrespective of how many times you tell people what the town would be about.

I don't see it working as a public "roleplaying" area to be honest with you - I do see it working as a nice concept for an outlying 'bandit' town in which there is some control by a mayor but that isn't a role you or billy are interested in. I can't see it working.

atkrye

King of Quests
The impression I get is you guys want to have it but don't want to leave your towns or pay to have it. That isn't what the special permissions section is for.

I appreciate that you think it would be a good roleplaying area, but I disagree. You're saying PvP would be enabled, stealing is fine and the area would ultimately be a dog-eat-dog area where players fight and vie for 'total control'. Good roleplaying cannot be achieved in such a scenario, it would be utter mayhem with PKs going on left right and centre. It'll be a hive of "OMG HE KILLED ME! CAN I HAVE MY STUFF BACK" irrespective of how many times you tell people what the town would be about.

I don't see it working as a public "roleplaying" area to be honest with you - I do see it working as a nice concept for an outlying 'bandit' town in which there is some control by a mayor but that isn't a role you or billy are interested in. I can't see it working.
(Disclaimer: No offence or disrespect is meant in anything i say in this post)
The leaving the towns and paying for it are a factor, but certainly not the most important one. The fundamental idea of this is that groups can vie for control, and people can come and go as they please. This fundamentally wouldnt work using mayor's, as if a new group gets control and a new mayor is appointed, they could literally destroy the entire town or change it into something entirely different. Alternatively, one mayor could be constant, but this would mean that whoever feels in control of the town, they ultimately arent as a mayor could say its my town, i dont want this guy in control, and just physically remove their structures (as it is their town afterall)
Also, I have been on hardcore servers before, where the issue of PKing wasnt a problem. In fact because pvp and stealing enabled formed everyone into tightly nit groups who trusted one-another. This led to brilliant scenarios (which could be put in rp terms) where someone would infiltrate another group and gain their trust to bring them down, but occasionally they would spend to long with them and even switch sides!
People will learn not to ask for stuff back, because they will never get it back. My experience has taught me that whining just makes the guy hunt you down and kill you again, when your allowed to. This would eventually balance out into not a problem :D

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
No you didnt. It can be done without us buying all the plots for you. Im dissapointed you are giving up this easily.

atkrye

King of Quests
I did try, but i fundamentally cant leave my town to do it legion. Ascension just means too much to me to leave :p

SanchezNI

Lord of Altera
Then concentrate on making it epic :D

We weren't dismissing your idea entirely, and there really is no need to constantly make disclaimers, we all know we're here discussing this maturely and nobody is naysaying anyone for the sake of it, so nothing you said was ever taken as a slant or anything, so the disclaimers aren't needed :)

I honestly couldn't see it working as an 'unmanaged' thing really, it'd need someone passionate about the town to spend most of their time running it (behind the scenes, not the actual mayor) and at the moment the Admin/Moderator staff wouldn't have the capacity to do it. As a player-ran thing, it could have been interesting and I think there's still scope, but you'd really have to want to seek it out and do it the old fashioned way.

Nonetheless, its encouraging to see players giving such ideas thought and focusing on what can be added/brought to the server, so thanks.

atkrye

King of Quests
brain wave :-P maybe specific player whom you know and trust could be promoted to admin to care for the town

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Atkyre dont' give up on this yet, I'm keen on something like this but with a twist, I'll try to build something up next week and put it to the kings and queens, it'll probably be a post 1.9 thing though as I'd like to build it offline in creative mode if given the go ahead.

atkrye

King of Quests
Halfmad->hero :p i would like to be a part of the design though (although the plan is still to let players build their own stuff right?). Maybe we could ask the kings and queens to set up a test server for us to design it on, or we could make our own private server? :D Also, whats the twist... :p

S

Stevey

I have something planned like this, including the RP behind it. Let's have a chat halfmad :]