Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Nation States] Hollow World War

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
The War To End All Wars

LEGISLATION PENDING

The Issue
It's the centenary of the Great Democratic Council of Hollow World War, and competing plans to commemorate the historic moment are being considered for approval.

The Debate
  1. "No expense must be spared!" shouts military historian Aaron Chandra through his unfashionable mustache. "This historic event must be celebrated through every town square in the country. Parades, street parties, reenactments! I'm sure all our citizens will contribute handsomely to making this celebration truly memorable."

2. "Excellent! And let's not stop with the past," proclaims Brigadier-General Rochelle Obama, Director of Public Outreach for the Army. "We can use this burst of patriotic fervor to give a strong message of support to today's armed forces, going forward. We should have a big parade of our men and women in uniform in Aeterna with a fly-by from the Air Force. We can never have too many recruits, after all."
  3. "Do you have any idea how much all of that would cost?" complains budget auditor Sue-Ann Spirit while eating a stale rice cracker for lunch. "We shouldn't spend money on something that happened a hundred years ago, and the savings from all that pomp and circumstance can be returned to the taxpayers. Are you going to eat that sandwich?"
  4. "I don't mind having a commemoration, but we need to remember that most of the people who died in the Great War were common workers like me," says union leader Aaron Nagasawa, who never seems to be content with anything. "I think it's only fair that we give everyone a national holiday, so we can all reflect upon our history of class oppression. Otherwise celebrations like this end up just being for you toffs."
  5. "Of course we should remember the War - but there was nothing 'Great' about it!" pontificates student protester Chloe Khan, who has read two and a half books about the War and now knows everything about it. "It was a shameful bloodbath caused by greedy capitalist arms manufacturers, and it could have been avoided. We should be remembering the incalculable tragedy of it all and making sure it never happens again!"
In accordance with this issue, I feel it could be interesting if a history of this Great Hollow World War was compiled to give a background for the region. Most of the nations in the region already have backstory wars of their own, so why not simply compile them all into a World War?

For example, New Tiarch used to be imperialist, though it is now isolationist. It is reasonable to assume that Sincronia and New Tiarch once fought over control of the Serpentine Strait. Why not assume that the war over the strait was part of a larger World War?

The point of this thread is to see about organizing the various wars of individual nations to formulate what a past World War would have looked like. Below are some of my own thoughts regarding possible events and outcomes:

> Sincronia and New Tiarch war over the Serpentine Strait. Sincronia prevails. New Tiarch becomes isolationist after the war concludes.

> Arcturix invades to its south. Prussija is conquered and becomes the protectorate of Prussoarcturix. Raavos becomes a protectorate. Arcturian aggression is not stopped until Arcturix reaches the Mechanican border.

> The islands between Mechanica Rationalis and Arcturix become the demilitarized zone they are currently in today.

> Arcturix and Volopia war with each other. This war ends in a stalemate. The Markgrave line is established.

> Corvermell and Morgnatha war with each other. Result uncertain.

> New Tiarch and Sprakia war with each other. New Tiarch initially holds an advantage but is antagonized by guerrilla warfare from Sprakia. Sprakia begins to awaken from it's primitive, isolationist state and take small steps towards modernization as a result of the war.

> Sincronia and Volopia hold a tentative alliance throughout the war, similar to the USA-USSR. After the war, a Cold War between Sincronia and Volopia erupts.

Last edited:

Gregor

Lord of Altera
Prussoarcturix was formerly independent, before having been Prossija most likely having subjuguated after the great war.

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Legend
Retired Staff
LeStrangest
LeStrangest
Legend
The War To End All Wars

> Corvermell and Morgnatha war with each other. Result uncertain.
Well, Morgnatha and Corvermell have had many wars in their past. So to me at least it would make sense that they had another during this 'World War'. I may suggest that the islands that are currently within Morgnatha's border were once controlled by Corvermell and the result of the war was Corvermell was forced from the islands and Morgnatha took them over. This requires no border changes at all. Just adds a bit of backstory to those islands. Though I will have to confirm this with @Gaby before it becomes canon. We will talk about it and post here once we figure it out.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
There hasn't really been any war in Mechanica, lorewise. The country has historically been isolationist following arrival on the world. At most, actions would involve defending their own borders from aggressors, with extreme force retaliation in the event of attack.

The main thing causing Arcturix-MR tensions is their total opposite political climates. Which I guess is a bit odd since Mechanica Rationalis is also a dictatorship.

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
One hundred years ago Legisa was going through a period known as "The Conquering", where the Kingdoms Ulgart and Layodan conquered Tretzi, Pozdem, and parts of Yenikraw. As the Legisian Peninsula (anyone got a better name for my geographical location?) was embroiled in an internal conflict, it would likely have stayed out of the Hollow World War depending on how long the HWW lasted. Therefore Legisa would be something like Spain in WW2, too busy to deal with world affairs.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I'm all for this, it looks great to me. The war that would have happened with Sprakia likely would have happened as a result of loosing the war against Sincronia over the strait, the still imperial government looking to take away land from a neighboring nation to make up the loss.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I refuse to believe Sprakia could win a war using anything past spears.
They wouldn't have had to win said war. New Tiarch may have simply stopped fighting after a certain point, finding it hard to destroy their army which was using guerrilla tactics. Of course it's possible that Sincronia also supplied some assortment of weapons to them as a further stab at New Tiarch. So as an additional result to Sprakia moving towards industrialization, they also would have lost some territory.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Of course it's possible that Sincronia also supplied some assortment of weapons to them as a further stab at New Tiarch.
That's quite possible, now that I consider it. If the war was ongoing, then Sincronia would certainly want a two-front war to emerge with Sincronia and Sprakia against New Tiarch. If the war was over, then Sincronia would still want New Tiarch bogged down in Sprakia while Sincronia consolidated its newly gained territory.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Well, Morgnatha and Corvermell have had many wars in their past. So to me at least it would make sense that they had another during this 'World War'. I may suggest that the islands that are currently within Morgnatha's border were once controlled by Corvermell and the result of the war was Corvermell was forced from the islands and Morgnatha took them over. This requires no border changes at all. Just adds a bit of backstory to those islands. Though I will have to confirm this with @Gaby before it becomes canon. We will talk about it and post here once we figure it out.
I mean, I always figured Corvermell had no wars except trying to defend themselves from Morgnathan aggression (obvious reasons), so I see no reason for them to have gotten involved in a world war. hell, I always figured Corvermell was only discovered by nations that weren't Morgnatha really really late in the history of the world. the vermellans never really left their islands, after all. I would place it at them being discovered soon after electricity was invented. just to put things in perspective.

and of course, soon after being discovered, other nations tried to start a gold rush on the islands that was quickly repelled.

so yeah #confirmed

Ray1333

Lord of Altera
I don't like this idea. Establishing stuff like this suggests we should focus on looking at past wars (which we made up) in a post-war attitude, when, in my opinion, I believe we should keep our mind on the inevitable war that will happen with whoever Arcturix decides to try and blow up next. Also, the Volopia suggestions seem to reference the modern Volopia; any WWI/WWII era war would have been under either one of the last Volopian emperors or the earlier CEOs of Displace.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I don't like this idea. Establishing stuff like this suggests we should focus on looking at past wars (which we made up) in a post-war attitude, when, in my opinion, I believe we should keep our mind on the inevitable war that will happen with whoever Arcturix decides to try and blow up next. Also, the Volopia suggestions seem to reference the modern Volopia; any WWI/WWII era war would have been under either one of the last Volopian emperors or the earlier CEOs of Displace.
*feels all the attention drawn to glorious Arc Motherland*