Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Scientific Advancements

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
Nervous-system integrated implants are still replacements, not upgrades. They don't perform as well as base human organs/limbs.
I flipped a coin.
The coin said space things.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Human cybernetic implants.
Examples include eyes, legs and arms. Advanced to the point where the damn thing has integration with the nervous system.
Looks like a prototype to me, too!

So long as you don't go crazy with cybernetic implants granting people the ability to lift 500 lb weights with one hand, go for it! I suppose it's more like advanced prosthetics, but even that can have significant advantages. For example, prosthetic legs could allow for more speed and prosthetic eyes could enhance visual capabilities (infrared, anyone?).

How about space stations.
Everyone loves a good old space station.
Space stations are beyond prototype form in RL, so they don't count as tech advancements because it can be assumed that everyone has the ability to "into space". Now, that doesn't mean that every nation can afford to invest in space, though, so I'd still suggest building space stations with a group, such as with the Chimeran Commonwealth, Ocean Assembly, or ARCUTA.

I flipped a coin.
The coin said space things.
"Space things" is pretty vague, but I assume you have something more specific in mind?

Also, it's worth noting that it will be difficult to find RL prototypes of space weapons, if anyone's looking for tech of that nature, seeing as the UN prohibits the weaponization of space. If you're trying to find space tech, feel free to submit some theoretical models for approval, if you'd like, but also be aware that because such models are only theoretical, such submissions will be subject to a somewhat higher degree of scrutiny.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I feel that space endeavors require high level milestones. A space program should be a rating of 150 science (alone or as a group) with a 90+ economy, since space is extremely expensive to do and requires a powerful industry around it. The world's largest space station is the most expensive thing ever built and was contributed to by every first-world country.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
science.PNG
Aegis dome system.jpg

-Will post actual wordy-wordy lore tomorrow, I am le tired.

the AEGIS system is based of the Israeli Iron Dome.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I know that we seem to be off this already, but I've reached level 100 and I did think about doing this, so I thought I would give what I know about this type of thing.

Any issues with advanced cybernetics?
Nervous-system integrated implants are still replacements, not upgrades. They don't perform as well as base human organs/limbs.
There is currently a lot of development with bionic prosthesis in a area of science called biomedical engineering (which includes stuff like MRIs and CAT scans) and they're actually pretty good right now. However, Baron is right, they are not currently better than regular organs. However, if we're going for future tech I would say that superior bionic prosthesis technology development is certainly reasonable, as long as (just like Sinclair said) they're not given ridiculous properties.

As for my authority on this matter, I've spent the better part of the year researching this and talking to people who actually do this for a living as part of an effort to participate in the Student Bio Expo.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
What's the stance on advanced ballistics?
Ranging from biological warfare too long range guided missiles with advanced targeting and destructive power?

These things already exist in real life but I'm thinking more advanced and explosive explosives. Of the chemical or biological nature.

BarbarianGaming

Lord of Altera
What's the stance on advanced ballistics?
Ranging from biological warfare too long range guided missiles with advanced targeting and destructive power?

These things already exist in real life but I'm thinking more advanced and explosive explosives. Of the chemical or biological nature.
Chemical warfare is classified as a war crime.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Chemical warfare is classified as a war crime.
...by the UN, yes, but not by our Council of Altera, at least not in an official stance. We've not passed any resolutions, yet, so unless we're assuming basic UN resolutions are already on the books, there's nothing about chemical warfare.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I'm giving this a bump as I've updated the section regarding research agreements/coalitions.

To summarize it, nations can now pool their Scientific Advancement Levels (SALs) according to the described formula. The catch is that nations in a research agreement/coalition have to all research the same unique tech.

I've described the basis for the formula earlier on this thread, so I won't go back into that at this time. The basis for the catch that all nations in the agreement must research the same tech is the logical assumption that, in order for nations to be researching together, they must be researching the same thing; if nations were researching different things, then there would be no tangible benefit to a research agreement, as neither nation would be gaining research of value to their own project from the other.

Currently, the only research coalition is the Chimeran Commonwealth, and that is merely an assumption on my part based on their "same thinking" mantra. Assuming the Chimeran Commonwealth is a research coalition, the group SAL, as of today, comes out to 150 SAL.

...however, there is a slight issue. Harvendir has already claimed a unique tech prior to the implementation of these new research agreement mechanics. Therefore, from what I can see, one of three things could happen:
> Harvendir does not follow the Commonwealth's "same thinking" program;
> Harvendir is part of the Commonwealth's research coalition, and the rest of the Commonwealth gains the tech Harvendir has already researched;
> Harvendir is part of the Commonwealth's research coalition, and Harvendir loses its prior unique tech and gains whatever tech the Commonwealth decides to invest in.

There is also a fourth option, though the fourth option would make things a bit more complicated. The fourth option is that nations may research a unique tech once they reach 100 SALs and contribute everything past 100 to the research agreement. Nations may then proceed to follow this same method each time their individual SAL reaches the next unique tech level (200, 300, 400, etc).

For example, Harvendir currently has 122 SALs, so it could claim 100 SALs for its first unique and then contribute the remaining 22 SALs to the Commonwealth's research coalition. Harvendir's second tech, at group SAL 200, would then be the same as the rest of the Commonwealth, in accordance with the guidelines regulating research agreements.

Thoughts on the matter?

Fraser028

Lord of Altera
Just reached my 100 SA mark so
My tech idea is a charged particle laser device or cannon designed to destroy or damage nuclear and long range missiles and bombs. Theses weapons are placed in space in mid to low orbit and have been developed by countries such as Russia and the United States. The lasers can also be used on the ground moved around by large trucks and ships.

Examples:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle-beam_weapon (go towards the bottom of the page for better examples)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Weapon_System

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
SAL 102:

I choose The Internet Of Things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things

With 3 of my 4 Information Tech points, I build the Global Positioning System to a high granularity, with 36 satellites (12 per point) to expand the satellite network to a full satellite constellation.

All of ya'll with your weapons and whatnot, and glorious Scandinavia chooses a technology of peace.

MaelstromPuddle

Lord of Altera
Legend
Auralein
Auralein
Legend
My Tech is bang on 100

I am researching an advanced fleet of drones, such as UAVs, land support drones and fire support drones for ships Along with Hunter killer drones