Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Roleplaying For Beginners

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Thanks you two! Some good info there.

What do you mean "make a new character" though? Do you mean change nick and skin or is there some kind of command/admin to reset your account? (sorry to ask so much lol)
oh no no, you just change your skin and nickname, generally you also make character profiles here on the forums

SF_Joshua

Loyal Servant of Altera
So what does a shy guy do who is afraid to jump into a going roleplay. I don't know about you, but a stranger jumping in seems kind of rude in my viewpoint. I lurk around the Crossroads a lot and rarely actually get into any roleplays. Just wonderin'.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Sometimes it is rude, sometimes it isn't. If you overhear a conversation and have something to add, interject and see how it goes. Add to the conversation in some way. Also if you see folks being quiet, feel free to introduce yourself and strike up conversation. If you see a group off to themselves, not saying much, it may be that they're in Whisper and it might not go well to interrupt. But otherwise, only one way to find out. :)

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
I know how ya feel, Roy wasn't exactly one to talk to people...mostly what I can say is join a town, that's honestly the best way you're gonna get good roleplay with the character, especially if it's a smaller town

Arika

Loyal Servant of Altera
I don't know what to do. I just got whitelisted today, and when I logged on, no one was roleplaying. Like, where are all the people at? And if I want to be in a roleplay, do I go up to a group and ask them if I can RP with them or do I wait for someone to ask me to RP with them?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I don't know what to do. I just got whitelisted today, and when I logged on, no one was roleplaying. Like, where are all the people at? And if I want to be in a roleplay, do I go up to a group and ask them if I can RP with them or do I wait for someone to ask me to RP with them?
You came at an interesting time because there's an event going on right now that 'll last a few days. A bunch of characters are on ships on the ocean and are on a different map. But just walk up and interact as your character would with other folks. Many groups are friendly and welcoming. :)

Magiik

Lord of Altera
Currently, things are a bit odd. The campaign has most people fleeing to various corners of the world due to an undead invasion. There's also the fact that 1/3-1/2 of the server just left on this huge voyage, so not many are going to be around.
There are still options, though! That inn at spawn generally has people, and several towns also have people. You can get to most of those by using the dockmaster near spawn (conveniently located at the docks)

EDIT: Niah beat me to it. But, yeah, she's right. Most groups are really welcoming, so just walk up and interact with 'em!

Arika

Loyal Servant of Altera
That makes me feel a lot better. I thought that I was in the wrong part of the world or something.

Magiik

Lord of Altera
Nah, don't worry about it. Honestly, the Crossroads would be your best bet most of the time. You'll almost always find people there willing and able to interact with you.

EDIT: No dice, Cyber. It's past your bedtime.

Arika

Loyal Servant of Altera
Hehehe...heh.... I walked in on two people talking, and instead of saying like,
"Hello."
I backed away and left...

I'm just really nervous when it comes to this xD

Magiik

Lord of Altera
Congrats! That's like half of us here. You'll get to the point eventually where you won't feel nervous starting conversations. Until then, there are a few other options:

If you're worried about how others will see your roleplay, just do a few generic actions at the crossroads. Emote going up to the bar, or ordering a drink, or even just sitting down by the fire. This has an added benefit on slow days, where people will sometimes join you, initiating it on their own. You'll get the hang of it and quickly feel a bit more comfortable with the environment.

It's not a good idea to rely on that, though. Best advice really is to just take the plunge. Step out there and say something, be it some rant about how a knight killed your father and now you must exact revenge, or something simple like "Hello."

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Hehehe...heh.... I walked in on two people talking, and instead of saying like,
"Hello."
I backed away and left...

I'm just really nervous when it comes to this xD
If you'd like, I've got a bored character talking to absolutely nobody at the crossroads XD