Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Roleplaying... fun if you know how to do it.

nooberoob

Loyal Servant of Altera
Alrighty people, I am going to cut straight to the point. People DO NOT know how to roleplay. Now when I say this I don't mean everyone! Most of the server veterans, are master role-players! My beef is mainly with the newbies. So to all the newbs out there who find themselves totally lost in roleplaying here are some helpfull suggestions:
  • If you want to engage in role-play you should always have a role-play character. If your name is something like stringy_man58(.Y.) then you most likely don't want people saying, "I SUMMON THE POWERS OF QUEEN GRIEF ON stringy_man58(.Y.)" Cause that would, for obvious reasons be a *face-palm*. So instead you go by your role-playing character's name! I will put mine out here as an example; "I SUMMON THE POWERS OF QUEEN GRIEF ON ROWAN SILENTFOOT!" Sounds much more medieval and occasion-fitting now doesn't it?
  • Another thing to do, is to always know your place in a role-play. If you are standing before a king in a role-play and you are supposed to play the part of a peasant doomed to execution, then when the king orders your death, you don't want to suddenly turn into a demon, or the master-chief of something, because then the king's role-play will be sorta screwed. It will turn into a battle for power amongst the role-players and that scenario usually drags on for ever and loses it's point. Knowing your place will also make your role-playing look more respectable. If you are constantly interjecting things that someone of that rank in medieval times would not say, then you make yourself look desperate to be a part. If you get stuck with the quieter role, then suck it up and play the role well!
  • I have also encounter many occasions where people need to tell someone something that the other role-players don't necessarily need to here, and what do they do? They say it in parenthesis right out in the role-play chat! *face-blener* PEOPLE THIS IS WHY THEY MADE /tell or /msg!!! You can quickly tell someone else something in a one-on-one way. Just blurting it out in role-play chat can really ruin the whole scenario.
  • My fourth suggestion and by far the most important is TO HAVE FUN!!! Get into it people, really connect with others and have a great time! You can tell when someone is having fun, cause they will actively contribute to the conversation! Someone who isn't having fun, or is otherwise occupied will usually try to prematurely end the role-play and usually fluster other role-players.
So this page is for all those newbs who NEED to learn this stuff!!! For further info everyone should check the Tome Of Citizenship! Have a nice day/night, and HAPPY ROLE-PLAYING!!! :D

Deddily

Loyal Servant of Altera
I am by no means experienced at role-play, and I find this useful. Thank you. I would like to add that it can also be difficult when everyone is trying to be the centre of attention, as if theirs is always the main character of the story.

itsemiel

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
You should add something to the list. When you've never met someone in roleplay, you don't know their name. There is no kind of magic that makes your RP character read the names above someones head, so if you've never met someone or heard their name, you don't just call them by their mc username. It happened to me a lot of times that someone I'd never seen before walked in front of me and said: "Hi Itsemiel!"

ItsBryton

Lord of Altera
I am by no means experienced at role-play, and I find this useful. Thank you. I would like to add that it can also be difficult when everyone is trying to be the centre of attention, as if theirs is always the main character of the story.
What you mean? Your an amazing roleplayer.. And sorry if the centre of attention thing is me..

Paragory

Legend of Altera
I really w-ish more people could see this. A lot of new players come here and really have little to no roleplaying experience in Minecraft, which is a perfectly acceptable excuse. Minecraft role playing and forum role playing are two separate things entirely, I've learned that first hand.

To be honest, there are some role plays on this server that just disgust me. Take the recent banquet, for example. Half of the chat wasn't even roleplay, and the other half was either pointless chatter or attention attempts. I realize there weren't any predisposed notions of a formal roleplay, but this server is intended for roleplay, not ooc chatter (which bothers me even more, I simply leave ooc as soon as I log on).

Here are my tips:
-Smiley faces. Burn them all. Smiley faces definitely have no place in formal roleplay. Let's just make an example:
"Good evening, everyone." You just imagined a nice humble and dignified person behind the keyboard.
"Good evening, everyone :D:D:D!!!" You just imagined a 10 year old kid.
-Grammar. I tread lightly on this subject, considering that some of us don't use English as our native language. However, the effort one puts into a sentence is obvious.
"I saw you at the market stalls, the other day."
"i saw u at the mraketstall the therr day./"
The difference is editing and effort, people.
-Attention grabbing. One of the biggest problems I find with role players today is their insatiable need to be the center of everyone's attention and care. Of course, what's roleplay without a colorful story to make people's lives interesting? My point is: save your story for an appropriate time and place, don't keep burdening people with your drama or rare fainting disease every twenty seconds, it isn't professional.
Farmer: "John Smith! We need your help to plant these crops. Would you mind lending a hand?"
John Smith: "I remember this one guy who had a hand. He used it to abuse me as a child and kill my mother and father before my very eyes. Now I have no idea who I am and I'm mysterious as heck because I don't have a family but I want to make everything right in this world.
Farmer: "That's nice, but...."
John Smith: "Wanna know what else is nice? I can cure people by slamming my face into their wounds repeatedly. I can also breathe fire and speak Portuguese. But I have some kind of power in me and I don't know what it can do yet but I'm going to find out soon."
Farmer: "Maybe I should go..."
John Smith: "Don't go, I love you."
-Invention of facts. In a world that is limited only by your imagination, it's difficult to set boundaries for yourself. When you overstep these boundaries, you can cross into what is know as godmodding or controlling. This basically means you're unfairly inventing things that gives you supreme control over a situation.
Farmer: "The souleater is coming to kidnap our resources and burn all our women! What do we do?"
John Smith: "Don't worry, I just learned that a souleater's weakness is my grandmother's toenail clippings, excuse me while I go slam my face into your wounded villagers."

Wrayh

Loyal Servant of Altera
I ran into this server full blown noob. I had never role-played in my life! I would like to mentions that I feel that I was a natural and that is because I used these ideas that nooberoob (ironically :p) has kindly posted for our needs. But of course I entered waaaaaaayyyyy before this post :D

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Also note, on the grammer bit, an accent is acceptable as long as it's understandable, like for instance:

"Weel there me wee lass, what ye be doin' around this town?

or

"What arr ye doin', theese town iz moine!"

Paragory

Legend of Altera
Also note, on the grammer bit, an accent is acceptable as long as it's understandable, like for instance:

"Weel there me wee lass, what ye be doin' around this town?

or

"What arr ye doin', theese town iz moine!"
Perfectly acceptable, as long as it's understandable and generally doesn't stray too far from the path. It's a fair stretch to assume every character is the most literate and grammar-conscious being alive.

Alailanible

Sparkly purple member of the team
John Smith: "I remember this one guy who had a hand. He used it to abuse me as a child and kill my mother and father before my very eyes. Now I have no idea who I am and I'm mysterious as heck because I don't have a family but I want to make everything right in this world.
Farmer: "That's nice, but...."
John Smith: "Wanna know what else is nice? I can cure people by slamming my face into their wounds repeatedly. I can also breathe fire and speak Portuguese. But I have some kind of power in me and I don't know what it can do yet but I'm going to find out soon."
Farmer: "Maybe I should go..."
John Smith: "Don't go, I love you."

John Smith: "Don't worry, I just learned that a souleater's weakness is my grandmother's toenail clippings, excuse me while I go slam my face into your wounded villagers."

This is.. it's poetry! I can't click the like button enough times to show how much in love with this post i am.
By lord bacon... I could print this and frame it!

floopguy10

Lord of Altera
I agree with Alail! i sort of want the "Don't worry, I just learned that a souleater's weakness is my grandmother's toenail clippings, excuse me while I go slam my face into your wounded villagers." As my signature :p its hilarious, and it proves a perfect point!

Paragory

Legend of Altera
I agree with Alail! i sort of want the "Don't worry, I just learned that a souleater's weakness is my grandmother's toenail clippings, excuse me while I go slam my face into your wounded villagers." As my signature :p its hilarious, and it proves a perfect point!
Feel free, I don't have any objections, though the face slamming bit might be a bit out of context.

nooberoob

Loyal Servant of Altera
wow the cure-face-slamming thing is the great part! xD that totally sounds like something i'd say xD!

CasioCane

I think I might like it here
im no king of roleplay, i dont have much experience but i wish to engage more and learn how to become better!
this post was really helpful ROWAN SILENTFOOT.

Thankyou very much, i better go off and draw me myself and I some lines in order to know who I am.
Sincerely
CasioCane