Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Short Stories Thread

Did you come to this thread to read, or write?

• Total voters

TheAllBlackMan

Adorable according to Michcat
Well you're a professional writer, you have an excuse
There is no such thing as a "professional writer". It's all art and unless you sit down and do the math, there's really no science to it. Here's a trick that I learned. Pick three random words and try to make a story about them. I'll do so for you. A... sandwich... an Elvis impersonator... and a basketball court. Just let them inspire you and let your brain go wherever it wants. Most of all... have fun with it, Matyio! This technique is called galumphing, and it's how I got some of my best stuff.

matyio

The original mute
There is no such thing as a "professional writer". It's all art and unless you sit down and do the math, there's really no science to it. Here's a trick that I learned. Pick three random words and try to make a story about them. I'll do so for you. A... sandwich... an Elvis impersonator... and a basketball court. Just let them inspire you and let your brain go wherever it wants. Most of all... have fun with it, Matyio! This technique is called galumphing, and it's how I got some of my best stuff.
I have spotted two errors in this. 1 is saying there are no professional writers, what are authors, script witers, and other people who write stuff for money? That's right professional writers. It's similar in idea to gaming, it's something you domfor fun, and yet some people are professional at it, not because they are good, but because they earn money off it. That is what a professional is, someone who earns money from their chosen profession. 2 you said words, when I think you meant to say words and/or phrases.

Also I was just asking so I get my act together and write something next holiday I get.

TheAllBlackMan

Adorable according to Michcat
By MRPolo's definition, yes, there are dozens of professional writers. However the definition I had in mind was more along the lines of someone who has nearly perfected it. By my definition there are exactly zero professionals out there. Writing is akin to painting. The word is your medium and your keyboard is your brush. Come to think of it the word I should have used is "perfect".

matyio

The original mute
By MRPolo's definition, yes, there are dozens of professional writers. However the definition I had in mind was more along the lines of someone who has nearly perfected it. By my definition there are exactly zero professionals out there. Writing is akin to painting. The word is your medium and your keyboard is your brush. Come to think of it the word I should have used is "perfect".
Nothing is perfect, there is always room for improvement.