Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Som's Experiment

Spark

Broken
When I look at my ratings, I only really care about agrees and disagrees, because I only usually get those when I'm expressing my opinion on something, so it's nice to see what people this about what I wrote. The likes and player loves are just meaningless to me. People use them without even reading the post, they get spammed for the sake of having a larger number given on their profile. The dislikes are just as important as the agrees and disagrees for me, as they show that what I just said was not acceptable to that person, and I can read back in case I was rude or inappropriate.

TL;DR that could turn out to be longer than the first part.
Likes and player loves are only really good for art, character profiles, storys, basement, etc. They are otherwise pointless elsewhere. Agrees, disagrees and dislikes are the only "informative" ones. Spamming likes/player love is pointless, it devalues your ratings and people won't care if you rate their posts anymore. Getting ratings from people who don't give them to you often actually mean something, for example, if Legion agrees with one of my posts, I makes me kinda happy because I value his opinion, whereas I get a like from Michcat or Sankera and I just don't really care.

Whatever system is put in place, I doubt it will make that much of a difference, people will spam it, rate a post before they've read it and give bad ratings to people they don't like, and unconditional positive ratings to their friends.

Just my opinion.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
Well that would be an easy thing to fix, hell I could fix that.
"Is something wrong?" Legion asked her.
"Oh Legion," she said. "My heart is breaking."
"I can fix that" said Sam.
- Adapted from Louis Sachar's "Holes"

I'm sorry, I had to :')

As to my actual opinion on the subject (to actually put something constructive) I agree, for the most part, with Legion. Keeping Agree/Disagree with the areas where quick critic is both useful and necessary is a good idea, while removing them from areas that don't require them. Hell they could even be used temporarily to an extent on certain threads. For example "we are thinking of implementing this, would you agree with its implementation? Agree or Disagree" just for some quick crowd voting. However, I have to disagree with the removal of player love. While it can be used unnecessarily, most people use it as an upgraded like (as it should be, really) and that removal of the entire thing just because some people need to moderate its use seems a bit like overkill. It's like back in school where the entirety of the class had to stay back because one or two people broke the rules.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Is this experiment planned to end? I've noted several instances of my own need to use the dislike rating over the past few months, only to be reminded we can't can't say we do not like certain posts.

I ask primarily because it's been much longer than originally stated, and this is seeming more like a forced doctrine rather than an experiment now. I'm not speaking in distaste but rather concern and curiosity. Disagrees do not carry the same weight, or meaning as dislikes. I believe that if negative ratings are removed we should also remove their positive counterpart. Meaning no more likes or player loves if we're no longer allowed to dislike. That's what seems fair.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Is this experiment planned to end? I've noted several instances of my own need to use the dislike rating over the past few months, only to be reminded we can't can't say we do not like certain posts.

I ask primarily because it's been much longer than originally stated, and this is seeming more like a forced doctrine rather than an experiment now. I'm not speaking in distaste but rather concern and curiosity. Disagrees do not carry the same weight, or meaning as dislikes. I believe that if negative ratings are removed we should also remove their positive counterpart. Meaning no more likes or player loves if we're no longer allowed to dislike. That's what seems fair.
So I have noticed that the tone of things have changed in a lot of ways, and I quite like the way in which it's changed. Right now I'm not interested in changing it back, no. Nor do I think it's necessary to remove the like rating simply to have parity and symmetry.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
So I have noticed that the tone of things have changed in a lot of ways, and I quite like the way in which it's changed. Right now I'm not interested in changing it back, no. Nor do I think it's necessary to remove the like rating simply to have parity and symmetry.
I unfortunately haven't noticed a change at all. People still have their feuds off-server and on, and simply use the disagree button in place of the dislike button. Quite honestly I'd rather be explained a disagree than a dislike, and would prefer a dislike over a disagree. Now I will say again I'm not attacking you or your decisions, but speaking as a member of the community who has been paying attention. I am quite platonic in the matter because I understand this is an internet forum for Minecraft.

If anything I respect your resolve.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
People still have their feuds off-server and on, and simply use the disagree button in place of the dislike button.
I've just been using the disagree button now instead.
This tells me that people simply don't understand what the difference between "dislike" and "disagree" is.

What that tells me is that this entire debate is essentially useless as the key issue is with what people think "dislike" and "disagree" mean, and I don't think it's realistically possible to get everyone on the server to agree to the exact same meanings for the words.

This also leads me to believe that readding the "dislike" button at this point would serve nothing. If people have now lumped "dislike" and "disagree" together, then readding "dislike" would just cause more confusion as no one would know what the other person was really trying to say when they click "dislike" or "disagree". Of course, I'd say that confusion is already present in the "disagree" button, so it really doesn't matter either way whether the "dislike" button is readded.

I do very much want the "disagree" button to remain, though!

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
Only reason I disliked the dislike button, and disagree for that matter. Was because people were using it on posts that did not make sense.

I know I was pretty annoyed at some dislikes disagrees etc. on some threads I made purely for knowledge on IC happenings ingame concerning my organization. And I find it silly to dislike a legitimate RP group just because of IC conflict.

Another thing I disliked was disagrees on character profiles as if they disagree with the existence of the character. Unless they have glowing red eyes, can do backflips over heads and shoot lasers from their eyes, or something to legitimately disagree with, it's pretty annoying.

Altho, when it's relevant, I don't mind them.

Anyhow, there's Tybs two cents, I'll leave y'all to it /leaves

Last edited:

Mryosi

Lord of Altera
I didn't liked this experiment but too be honest, I personally didn't found myself in a situation when I missed the dislike button- Meaning that the disagree button was enough.