Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Teamspeak Channels

NiNi

MooCat
You could always try channel admin? It does match what people were asking for earlier in the thread and is limited fully to the channel you give it to the player in. If you turn on advanced permission editing in teamspeak, you can also fine tune the permissions including changing/removing the ability to set/edit passwords to a channel. Its a versatile as you make it.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
You could always try channel admin? It does match what people were asking for earlier in the thread and is limited fully to the channel you give it to the player in. If you turn on advanced permission editing in teamspeak, you can also fine tune the permissions including changing/removing the ability to set/edit passwords to a channel. Its a versatile as you make it.
This was suggested previously, and I'm really not wild about the idea. While most of the leaders of the houses are excellent people with healthy helpings of common sense, it doesn't change the fact that they're generally in that position because they had the cash, not because they were chosen for a moderation position. And we'd have to be consistent with every house, which could get dangerous. So that was really never an option.

I really don't understand why that is necessary. These people can quiet easily (and many do) take their conversations to Skype or private TS servers which are easy to rent or set up on your own. If this was done to try and encourage people to use TS more then I don't think it was a good one. I have noticed TS has been very active the last week or two - and you have just fixed something that wasn't broken and this will inevitably drive people back to using other mediums.

I don't get this whole moderation argument. If staff want to moderate TS then a locked channel isn't going to get in their way. If a house wants to partake in private conversations then that should be their right and privilege and I think we would all much prefer them to do it here than somewhere else.
I think I'll update the original post with some more of my reasons as to why this was decided. My own reasons actually had very little to do with moderation or staff involvement, and everything to do with the whole IC/OOC issue we've been having (which has been getting better, but not better enough). It seemed as if the locked TS channels were almost encouraging some folks to engender that OOC dislike for IC reasons, and quite frankly, I'm sick of it, and am ready to do damn near anything in order to get it to stop. Unfortunately, the thread that I posted on the matter did not quite get the discussion that was needed.

And they still have their private in-game channels.

Can we have house channels, but without passwords instead?
I remember thinking about this, and don't remember why we decided to just completely take them out. I think it was suggested that we have a limited number of channels, and we just ran with it. I don't think it would be unreasonable to add the house channels back in, but let me think about it first.

Sos

Lord of Altera
Well for my two cents, id like to say that its a good idea as something to stop houses being unsociable.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
EDIT: My main reason for going forward with this was that it seemed as if the locked channels were encouraging folks to ... aggravate the OOC issues for IC reasons, which is the topic of an entirely different thread (http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/more-on-ooc-issues.29636/) which was not terribly successful. We're trying to get you guys to recognize each other as players, not just the characters. When you don't have to consider that they (or someone else) might come into your TS channel while you're ripping them a new one for their IC actions, it compounds the problem.

I'm not trying to censor anyone, as you still have the in-game house channels which are private, and you still have non-HW options for private communication. What I'm trying to get everyone to do is be a little bit more considered in the way that they communicate with other players. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But I will try.
Put into the first post.

Megadonkey30

Lord of Altera
MD30
MD30
Very little actual ooc hate happened, when it did the leaders of the house would usually stop it. I know you are trying to prevent something, however there is a saying.

If your going to lead a horse to water, don't take the short cut.

In other words, in preventing ooc hate, you caused a lot of the people to go to other means of communication, and talk about the same things.

The house channels was created for what deemed to be for a good reason. Sometimes a group of people need a private place to speak. TS would be my first choice to go and talk about things, however this sad occasion has.. Prevented that means of communication.

Sos

Lord of Altera
Very little actual ooc hate happened, when it did the leaders of the house would usually stop it. I know you are trying to prevent something, however there is a saying.

If your going to lead a horse to water, don't take the short cut.

In other words, in preventing ooc hate, you caused a lot of the people to go to other means of communication, and talk about the same things.

The house channels was created for what deemed to be for a good reason. Sometimes a group of people need a private place to speak. TS would be my first choice to go and talk about things, however this sad occasion has.. Prevented that means of communication.
There are always empty chat room, no?

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
House channels with passwords existed not for ''lack of sociability'', or ''OOC hate purposes'', but to be able to talk freely without having risks of meta or intrusion into unknowned knowledge to the public knowledge. I can understand the intention behind your move, Somnastra, but with a little thinking our rather large teamspeak group decided to move to Skype calls, where we can choose who we want in and who we don't want in.

My whole point is that House Channels IG were created to be able to have private chats between house members, oui? And do you agree that teamspeak house channel work on the same pattern? Then, why should you only remove the privacy we had on teamspeak and not in actual minecraft aswell? This makes no sense to me.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
House channels with passwords existed not for ''lack of sociability'', or ''OOC hate purposes'', but to be able to talk freely without having risks of meta or intrusion into unknowned knowledge to the public knowledge. I can understand the intention behind your move, Somnastra, but with a little thinking our rather large teamspeak group decided to move to Skype calls, where we can choose who we want in and who we don't want in.

My whole point is that House Channels IG were created to be able to have private chats between house members, oui? And do you agree that teamspeak house channel work on the same pattern? Then, why should you only remove the privacy we had on teamspeak and not in actual minecraft aswell? This makes no sense to me.
The difference being the in-game chats are logged, while staff has no idea what's going on in those locked TS channels unless they're actually in there.

And moving to Skype is your prerogative. I know people had already been doing this for organizations that were not houses.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
From what I've seen from house channels, they were places to go when you wanted to have some peace, quiet, and the ability to talk of things that actually concerned the game. The House Chat of Lavoyard was incredibly helpful considering building, modifications, and discussion of plans and other house oriented things. It was a key role in Knights Haven for the house chat really brought us all together. It as well was secluded to the GROUP of that house.

If one person was to think that all anyone did in their House Chats was complain and gripe about people OOCly then I only wonder what they expected to have happen by placing the people in the same room as the others they were accused of griping and complaining about. It's a flawed plan, it won't stop people from not enjoying each other. In fact, I expect for it to cause even more drama.

Of course people can move to Skype, but doesn't that merely defeat the ENTIRE purpose of the TeamSpeak we have? Why have TeamSpeak in the first place if you expect for those who don't enjoy or agree with this situation to merely go onto Skype and further isolate themselves. For now, instead of being able to just hop chats when you were done speaking in your House chat, you are all clumped together as one. Even further of problems I see with this is the planning factor. We can't plan as much anymore without people not even related to the House/Group that we are in hearing the plots. This will incite meta gaming and I don't put it past people for it to actually make them meta game. Either personally they'll do it or inadvertently they'll do it by walking places to "Be there just in case".

Overall I feel as though this was a poor decision. The House Chat system wasn't broken and I've not seen any OOC hate against anyone. I've seen OOC disliking against CHARACTERS but never the people.

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
From what I've read, there are two reasons why the house chats were removed, though I might be wrong:
  • More communication between players from different groups (houses). Understandable, we'd want that, I suppose, but that's where the lobby was for right? From what I see on TS is that the lobby is like OOC channel in-game. Where the house chats were private rooms for houses to discuss matters that concerned them and no others, having them seems, to me, a good thing: people can discuss things WHILE playing minecraft, rather than having to stop what they're doing to type what they want (and being limited to the character limit). Especially during events (Such as the good ol' GoC) teamspeak was much used by the houses to discuss strategies. It worked so well, why take it away? Because there was OOC hate, presumably? If it was on TeamSpeak, it will be elsewhere now... So rather than solving a problem, it'd be much safer to assume it has moved to another medium, such as Skype.
  • Second, it seems the reason to remove them is to get more grip on what's going on on TeamSpeak. Understandable, yes. But look at it from another perspective: first, we're a big group of people, there's bound to be some form of dislike between a couple of persons, because everybody has different personalities, there's no way on earth you're going to prevent that. We can't all be friends. Second, if people want to complain about something, or rant, or whatever you'd wish to call it, they'll find a way. It's not like you can prevent the OOC-dislike (I dislike hate in this case) if people don't like eachother, back on topic now.
  • I think the playerbase can be given a little trust in giving them private channels to discuss matters important to them. We don't just allow anybody onto the server: there's quite an extensive application process, everything we do and say on the server is logged. If you distrust a person, because he/she has been saying some bad things on the server, then perhaps you might assume they also do it on TeamSpeak. However, I actually take it as a slight insult towards my, and that of several other's, intentions. Most of us are here to have fun and spend some time with others that have the same interest. It is only a slight minority that actually causes any problems. I understand the need to monitor, but do a few rotten eggs always have to spoil the fun for the majority of good-behaving players? I think not.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
I've only used TS for about 2-3 days now, and as soon as I stuck my head out of the hole that my character was living in and took in some fresh OOC air, I had whatever the hell this festering cancer of a house argument is thrown into my ear.

I'm happy that Som has removed the privacy of TS. If you want to be a vile plague on Hollowworld, go ahead, but you won't have such an easy time using Hollowworld's own server resources to do so. I'm happy Som did it, even if it's only for the principal of it.

Who knows, maybe when this whole stupid argument (whatever the hell it is, I honestly have no idea) blows over or gets banned into oblivion we can have our private channels back.

Last edited:

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Will be re-adding unlocked House channels, as they are requested. Will also be adding organizational channels, if the requester can demonstrate activity.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
That's why the buttons are there.
It's gene-

Y'know what, I'm not gonna. If you want to not discuss why you give ratings that show up as negative, that's fine. But I can call folks out on it when I'm getting those ratings and no one has commented on the thread. It wasn't until I posted that that people started commenting.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
It's gene-

Y'know what, I'm not gonna. If you want to not discuss why you give ratings that show up as negative, that's fine. But I can call folks out on it when I'm getting those ratings and no one has commented on the thread. It wasn't until I posted that that people started commenting.
The ratings are titled, yes? 'Dislike', 'Disagree', they both convey the feeling of the rater. In the case of the OP I'm neutral as I didn't use them before, but those who disliked the post were saying 'I don't like this.' Ratings systems are generally very self explanatory.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
The ratings are titled, yes? 'Dislike', 'Disagree', they both convey the feeling of the rater. In the case of the OP I'm neutral as I didn't use them before, but those who disliked the post were saying 'I don't like this.' Ratings systems are generally very self explanatory.
And it is an established courtesy on this forum that when giving negative ratings, you also offer an explanation.

Now, before I say something I don't really mean, I'm not going to be contributing to this particular derailment any further. Period.

And Glados, if you have a problem with the way I've decided to run this server (which I am assuming based on the particular attitude with me you've taken since that happened), just start a forum convo with me and let me have it. Might make you feel better.