Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Whitelist Change #1:

Bitochondria

Lord of Altera
Then you don't know how to argue, I was pointing out facts and also using your own words against you, you chose to use the word stupid, you chose to imply I make bad choices without any real explanation than accusations with no solid standing.

Are you under 16? Do you even come onto the server anymore? why does this decision offend you so much?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

duncaniax

Lord of Altera
... I feel a little betrayed by that, i was replying in a very mature manor looking at evidence and making a reasonable response, think about it sally, the influx of either "lying or underage players" had kept the server afloat without them it will die and fade away
Then you don't know how to argue, I was pointing out facts and also using your own words against you, you chose to use the word stupid, you chose to imply I make bad choices without any real explanation than accusations with no solid standing.

Are you under 16? Do you even come onto the server anymore? why does this decision offend you so much?
... Because i care, i don't come on because of college and higher commitments, I wasn't offended at all i was concerned that an old friend was dying.

skuller

Lord of Altera
... I feel a little betrayed by that, i was replying in a very mature manor looking at evidence and making a reasonable response, think about it sally, the influx of either "lying or underage players" had kept the server afloat without them it will die and fade away

... Because i care, i don't come on because of college and higher commitments, I wasn't offended at all i was concerned that an old friend was dying.
I thought it was mature of Sally. You literally said it's stupid and left it at that. I don't know if you are shocked at the sharpness of the reply or something but I fail to understand where you are coming from with Sally being "rude".

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
Why does this decision offend you so much?
Because you're making the assumption that all people below a certain age are the same and beyond redemption.

You talk about arguing and how to do it properly, I give you my own side then.

1) We have some very good roleplayers who are younger than 16, two of whom I can confirm have gone on to lead very successful groups on the server (A certain House which I may or may not be part of and a certain faction of tribals which half the server may or may not be part of as well).
2) I've witnessed, as I'm sure most of you have, a number of very bad roleplayers who were above the age, showing a complete lack of maturity.

I'm also going to point out here, younger minds are more creative and willing to act out that creativity if given the chance, adult minds have that filter out by society who view roleplaying as "childish".
Sally, if people are willing to go as far as to lie about their age (Who hasn't on the internet?) then surely that means they really want to be here? Implementing an age limit will only increase the number of liars who come here and turn away potentially great players.

Sally, I understand that some people are beyond hope and should be kicked/banned as soon as possible because they'd just ruin things otherwise.... but we should not be denying younger people the chance to express their creativity.

Encourage them to roleplay better, teach them when they've done something wrong, don't punish them!
To quote the intro to Halo, "children's minds are more accepting of indoctrination". Adult minds are not.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Because you're making the assumption that all people below a certain age are the same and beyond redemption.

You talk about arguing and how to do it properly, I give you my own side then.

1) We have some very good roleplayers who are younger than 16, two of whom I can confirm have gone on to lead very successful groups on the server (A certain House which I may or may not be part of and a certain faction of tribals which half the server may or may not be part of as well).
2) I've witnessed, as I'm sure most of you have, a number of very bad roleplayers who were above the age, showing a complete lack of maturity.

I'm also going to point out here, younger minds are more creative and willing to act out that creativity if given the chance, adult minds have that filter out by society who view roleplaying as "childish".
Sally, if people are willing to go as far as to lie about their age (Who hasn't on the internet?) then surely that means they really want to be here? Implementing an age limit will only increase the number of liars who come here and turn away potentially great players.

Sally, I understand that some people are beyond hope and should be kicked/banned as soon as possible because they'd just ruin things otherwise.... but we should not be denying younger people the chance to express their creativity.

Encourage them to roleplay better, teach them when they've done something wrong, don't punish them!
To quote the intro to Halo, "children's minds are more accepting of indoctrination". Adult minds are not.
Thank you, I'll relay this information into discussion as it has some very good and definitely valid points (I swear I'm serious, if it sounds sarcastic then I'm sorry :F )

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
I do think this needs further discussion. I do like the idea of Sundered Skies being part of the application process. If someone is under-age or they are simply not quite up to the standard we expect for Altera then they can be evaluated for whitelisting on Sundered Skies which will then give them the opportunity to show us their potential in a more suitable environment other than a forum application form. If players on there wish to sponsor a particular player for whitelisting on Altera then we can provide means for them doing so.

If there is one thing I do agree with its the fact that many of the more mature players are under 16. I think we should also not forget the primary demographic of Minecraft players. Without knowing facts I would be willing to bet we have just shut out 99% of the Minecraft playerbase.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Soo... basically...
The whitelist system overall is at fault for not actually reflecting possible applicant's capabilities, but instead of fixing the whitelist applications (once again), you make the age higher. While I can actually partially agree to this, fifteen would have been a far better age to look at, since that's when I feel I started to understand the world and grown far more mature (well... I say mature, but it's me we're talking about after all ;3). Age limit of fifteen will be met with mature applicants from a far wider range of people. I know that a lot of people stop playing Minecraft at around 16-17, and I understand why. Hell, I went through that too not long ago. However, at 15 there are still people playing, and if you can drag them in at this age, they will stay for longer, again following my own experiences.

I say keep the age limit higher, but sixteen is a terrible idea in my opinion.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Soo... basically...
The whitelist system overall is at fault for not actually reflecting possible applicant's capabilities, but instead of fixing the whitelist applications (once again)
How would you recommend we set up the system to do that? In just about every case, the immaturities of a player become evident over time in the server itself; it's incredibly difficult to tell if a person is mature through an application alone.

I really like the idea of being recommended through the Sundered Skies server. Immature players won't be able to continue into the main world, but can still enjoy the community and a fun RP environment (if a bit full of dragon-orphan-assassins).

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
How would you recommend we set up the system to do that? In just about every case, the immaturities of a player become evident over time in the server itself; it's incredibly difficult to tell if a person is mature through an application alone.

I really like the idea of being recommended through the Sundered Skies server. Immature players won't be able to continue into the main world, but can still enjoy the community and a fun RP environment (if a bit full of dragon-orphan-assassins).
If you read on, I did say I agreed with raising the age, but not as significantly.

Spark

Broken
Why don't people just accept that this probably wasn't just a spur of the moment idea. The staff members clearly care for the server, putting time and effort in, so this is clearly they think it will improve the quality of the roleplay and the server as a whole. If this was clearly going to damage the server, they wouldn't do it.
I know for a fact that at the age of 15, I would not be mentally mature enough to play on this server. My 2 step brothers, aged 14 and 12 are both too immature for this server. Then again, some of my friends now, even at 18-19, would be too immature.
It's clearly a hard decision to make as every person matures differently so I can only imagine a lot of time has been put into this decision.
It's also amazing how even though someone claims to be mature, they can't hold down a calm and productive argument without taking things personally. It really doesn't help your case.
Instead of fighting the idea, accept it and give it a few weeks to see if you notice a difference in the maturity of new members. If there's no change at all then just request for the age limit to be decreased again.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
I wouldn't say thats accurate considering the 13,568,863 minecraft sales (currently) and that only being a about 500 of them!
I was using that as an indication more than fact. It's not a large enough sample, I agree, but it shows that a lot more people are in the younger demographics.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Why don't people just accept that this probably wasn't just a spur of the moment idea. The staff members clearly care for the server, putting time and effort in, so this is clearly they think it will improve the quality of the roleplay and the server as a whole. If this was clearly going to damage the server, they wouldn't do it.
I know for a fact that at the age of 15, I would not be mentally mature enough to play on this server. My 2 step brothers, aged 14 and 12 are both too immature for this server. Then again, some of my friends now, even at 18-19, would be too immature.
It's clearly a hard decision to make as every person matures differently so I can only imagine a lot of time has been put into this decision.
It's also amazing how even though someone claims to be mature, they can't hold down a calm and productive argument without taking things personally. It really doesn't help your case.
Instead of fighting the idea, accept it and give it a few weeks to see if you notice a difference in the maturity of new members. If there's no change at all then just request for the age limit to be decreased again.
this

end