Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

XBOX ONE

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Also, I said 'new' as in brand spanking new.

:p

-K9

itsemiel

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
I'm glad they finally decided not to make a console look like a spaceship. It's a xBox after all.

Spark

Broken
Diarmuid Cronin (Elrohir) said:
All three go hand-in-hand with one another. It's oh so very relevant.

Also, with the Steam Box/PIST0N coming in, it'll b yet another contender.

-K9
No it is not. Bringing other consoles into a thread titled "XBOX ONE" is just making trouble and off topic. If it was called "Consoles" sure but it is not. Would you talk about dogs in a thread about cats?

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
No it is not. Bringing other consoles into a thread titled "XBOX ONE" is just making trouble and off topic. If it was called "Consoles" sure but it is not. Would you talk about dogs in a thread about cats?
Dogs have nothing to do with the sale of cats, while other consoles have EVERYTHING to do with the sales of the Xbox and more.

This is a threat about the Xbox one, so therefore relevant to the upcoming war over consoles.

-K9

Spark

Broken
Diarmuid Cronin (Elrohir) said:
Dogs have nothing to do with the sale of cats, while other consoles have EVERYTHING to do with the sales of the Xbox and more.

This is a threat about the Xbox one, so therefore relevant to the upcoming war over consoles.

-K9
No, it has nothing to do with other consoles, if you want that kind of shit storm make a thread called XBOX ONE vs PS4.

MIDNIGHT562

Loyal Servant of Altera
All consoles are in essence a computer. The only thing is, technology advances so fast, consoles can never keep up.

-K9
It can cost as much to to upgrade your graphics card, plus the possible cost of a new power supply and or RAM as it does to buy one of the current generations of consoles. Sure if you can afford it, PC is the way to go. I personally could never have played all the games I have, not to mention play them competitively if I solely went with a PC.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods

Spot the difference...

Seriously, Microsoft tried their best to make the ugliest thing I have ever seen on this poor planet and I can proudly say they have succeeded. A box of fish fingers is more elegant than that thing... At least it's got some colour to it.

Now, you may argue that looks are not everything. What matters is also the performance and how good of a console it is in general. However, an average customer walks into a store and sees the Xbox One, and thinks "Right... they could have at least taken the packaging off. Poor effort!"
Right now, of course, I'm taking a clear path of bias against the CorporateBox One, which is obvious through the way I speak, however I was always a PC gamer and I would honestly never put something like this;

Over something like this;

I hope you get where I'm coming from here..? That's the Steam Box by the way...

Now I must retire down to my little Polo's Protest Pod (tm) to protest against disturbing the natural environment of art within gaming... Else we should start expecting Crysis 4; Sumotori Wars or something along these lines already...

itsemiel

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
Are you kidding me, Polo?

That thing has design like it's supposed to be for a console. It seems like they finally realized that what's most important about a console, is that it works well and that the games you play on it do whatever they're supposed to do to the gamer.

A console isn't about "Look at how super technologically the outside of this thing looks!" It's not about "I've got glowing, green lights and flashy silver, so I'm awesome!"

I personally think that whoever came up with this basic, simple design, is a genius.

"Ew, look at this... It's just a black, flat box."
- Nobody

"Yuck! This thing will never entertain a human being! It's so ugly and simple!"
- Also nobody

You see what I mean? These consoles looked simple and were best at what they were supposed to do: making games work.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I partially agree and partially do not. While yes, back in the day the consoles were simpler until the stage where they got less so, I feel that now we have the possibility to create a sleeker design, we should go for it. And while you say the PlayStation one is ugly, I really can't agree with you, as it's clear there was SOME work put into the design.
And while yes, I did say I was speaking mainly out of bias (I hate both of the consoles...) but I am certainly not the only one on the internet that thinks just that.
And remember that by definition console should be a nice living room decoration as well as a functional gaming rig. Preferably small, and generally nice to look at. The Xbox one would do nicely with box TVs, but it simply doesn't suit flat screens, at least in my opinion.

itsemiel

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
Well, I never said that the thing was ugly. I love the design and I think it looks great.

But well, in my eyes a console should look like a piece of hardware, not like a Star Trek prop.

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
I agree with various points made above. I personally think that the XboxOne looks rather nice, but that's just how I like things. I hate when consoles go too extravagant with the housing of each part. It's the same with PC's, I like a simple design, while others do not. (Although a little typical Alien green on the logos wouldn't have gone amiss.)

Perhaps we've reached the age that consoles should be a little more customizable. We're at the time where people want everything to suit their needs, and not have their needs suit everything, if you know what I mean.

We live in a time where people want things. Need's have been surpassed as we have every need filled, it's come to the age of want and greed.

I'll be happy if the console is affordable, the controller comfortable and the software sleek and efficient.
But I do agree, the PIST0N/Steam Box is the way to go. But I fear it will be overpriced and not powerful enough.
I was a PS gamer, I moved to Xbox and now am veering more and more to PC. I have a decent laptop that runs quite a lot at decent FPS and decent graphics. I own both the PS3 and Xbox and love them, so I feel I am speaking without a label of ''Biased'' stuck on my forehead.

It can cost as much to to upgrade your graphics card, plus the possible cost of a new power supply and or RAM as it does to buy one of the current generations of consoles. Sure if you can afford it, PC is the way to go. I personally could never have played all the games I have, not to mention play them competitively if I solely went with a PC.
You're aiming too high right off the bat.

£600 will buy you a decent computer that outclasses both PS3 and Xbox360. If you spend a bit of time and effort with a dollop of hard work, you can get parts cheap. In a few months time I might get another bit of money, put it somewhere safe and save up. In a years time I can spend half the price of the XboxOne to upgrade said computer to something more powerful than the XboxOne. Having a good rig isn't about how much you earn or how rich you are, it's about devotion to something you love and dedication to the best you can get, which is better than what you think.

Aim high, but remember it's a slippery slope and don't just leap to the top and splash out on one part then have absolutely horrible specs except this one really amazing processor that might not even be compatible because you didn't put effort into what you do.

Don't do two things half-arsed, put all your dedication into one thing. If you want to get the best you can, don't splash out so much on consoles and save up until you have the PC that you could only ever dream of. If you only want to go consoles, buy the console you want and pimp it out, get awesome accessories and go wild, but don't even bother with upgrading a PC, it's a waste of your time.

I don't think it's right in forcing people to do what you want not what they want, which is why I know if you put time and effort into it, PC is the way to go. But if you want minimal effort into not gaming, Console here we come, because that requires little to no maintenance.

I won't be buying any console right off the bat, I'm going to wait until the prices drop and continue to save for the PC of my dreams.

-K9

MIDNIGHT562

Loyal Servant of Altera
You're aiming too high right off the bat.

£600 will buy you a decent computer that outclasses both PS3 and Xbox360. -K9
Right off the bat $1000 pc vs a $200 console, it better out class it.

My biggest concern is that this will be the Windows 8 of console games. Theoretically innovative but hated by the masses.

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Right off the bat $1000 pc vs a $200 console, it better out class it.

A $200 PC isn't going to outclass anything, but I doubt the Xbox will be that cheap.

-K9