Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Announcement] Canning the Cannon Canon

LiraKitty

Lord of Altera
On a slightly different note-
Could a system alike be implented for ballistas and etc? :D
For example a specific chance that the string breaks or something ^^
I fully agree with this and with cap for that matter. All siege equipment should have chances at breaking down or malfunctioning to some extent.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
(Am I the only person that hates using a D20 when there's no skill modifiers or the rest of the d20 system being used? You could just as easily use a %age die and have more room to be specific with the numbers.

Adding a random chance of failure to an otherwise freeform roleplay system with no skills or stats just feels eh in my eyes at least.)

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Yeah, armor should have roll effects
If someone swings with a D10 and someone defends with a D6, but have say, a well-made chain hauberk, then their defense would go up by 4 (or something, again, an example), then if the sword is made for piercing armor of this kind, it would add +2 and depending on their skill (already evidenced by what D# they use, they would inevitably win. It would force people to actually train and have value to armor.

It's better than just straight rolling, which leads to arguments and power gaming and is no better to simply fighting without rolls.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Yeah, armor should have roll effects
If someone swings with a D10 and someone defends with a D6, but have say, a well-made chain hauberk, then their defense would go up by 4 (or something, again, an example), then if the sword is made for piercing armor of this kind, it would add +2 and depending on their skill (already evidenced by what D# they use, they would inevitably win. It would force people to actually train and have value to armor.

It's better than just straight rolling, which leads to arguments and power gaming and is no better to simply fighting without rolls.
or we could not roll at all because rolling is dumb and fights aren't decided by dumb luck

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I started writing but then realised anything I could say was way too sarky. Let me just say that this is stupid and the rolls are preposterous. Cannons don't 'explode'. The barrel (here is the word you were looking for. Not 'launcher.' It's a cannon. Cannons have barrels) might crack. If it does then the cannon is useless. But they don't blow up killing everything around them. That's what proofing (done using double the standard charge) is for. If a cannon blew up the engineer would probably get hanged and a thicker cannon would be built. Problem solved. I can see how a 50/50 on misfires would be more fair than... well... this utter nonsense. 8 and below and your cannons become useless? Please. Here is a much better proposal, which is a lot more realistic and doesn't make cannons literally dangerous to users

1: Barrel cracks. Cannon is rendered completely useless. Cannot be repaired, only remelted. Note that no one gets killed. That doesn't happen in real life.
2-10: Nothing happens. Plethora of reasons why. Gunpowder was unreliable as hell back then. Note that here you can do something about hurting people. The gunpowder might go off suddenly.
11-13: Half strength. Most of the gunpowder burnt properly and the charge sort of went off. The cannonball doesn't do much and doesn't go far because not all of the propellant went off at the same time. Thankfully you don't have to clean this out.
14 and up: The gun works as intended. It's a feature, not a bug.

Furthermore, as part of an effort to fix the disaster that is HW's economy you can produce money sinks. Make cannons cost money. You need materials such as iron or gunpowder (the latter not actually produced by anyone. I've looked into Hierax producing it which might be a possibility in the future, but definitely not right now, so no one makes legit gunpowder at this moment).

I'm fine with restricting cannons, but please don't make them dangerous to use. The thing with a cannon is that if it isn't safe, you can just make a thicker cannon which is safe.

Last edited:

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
or we could not roll at all because rolling is dumb and fights aren't decided by dumb luck
Yes, but that can lead to powergaming- even with a staff overseer- who could be biased. I'll admit, neither system is perfect or balanced.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Yes, but that can lead to powergaming- even with a staff overseer- who could be biased. I'll admit, neither system is perfect or balanced.
i'd rather have someone powergame and get banned for being dumb than be forced to roll and lose to a peasant with a steak knife because jesus gave him a nat 20

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I started writing but then realised anything I could say was way too sarky. Let me just say that this is stupid and the rolls are preposterous. Cannons don't 'explode'. The barrel (here is the word you were looking for. Not 'launcher.' It's a cannon. Cannons have barrels) might crack. If it does then the cannon is useless. But they don't blow up killing everything around them. That's what proofing (done using double the standard charge) is for. If a cannon blew up the engineer would probably get hanged and a thicker cannon would be built. Problem solved. I can see how a 50/50 on misfires would be more fair than... well... this utter nonsense. 8 and below and your cannons become useless? Please. Here is a much better proposal, which is a lot more realistic and doesn't make cannons literally dangerous to users

1: Barrel cracks. Cannon is rendered completely useless. Cannot be repaired, only remelted. Note that no one gets killed. That doesn't happen in real life.
2-10: Nothing happens. Plethora of reasons why. Gunpowder was unreliable as hell back then. Note that here you can do something about hurting people. The gunpowder might go off suddenly.
11-13: Half strength. Most of the gunpowder burnt properly and the charge sort of went off. The cannonball doesn't do much and doesn't go far because not all of the propellant went off at the same time. Thankfully you don't have to clean this out.

Furthermore, as part of an effort to fix the disaster that is HW's economy you can produce money sinks. Make cannons cost money. You need materials such as iron or gunpowder (the latter not actually produced by anyone. I've looked into Hierax producing it which might be a possibility in the future, but definitely not right now, so no one makes legit gunpowder at this moment.

I'm fine with restricting cannons, but please don't make them dangerous to use. The thing with a cannon is that if it isn't safe, you can just make a thicker cannon which is safe.
I stamp this with "This is about accurate with what I know" if we're explicitly setting the tech on cannons to the early stage, and give Polo my commendation for the writeup. Seconded.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend

Furthermore, as part of an effort to fix the disaster that is HW's economy you can produce money sinks. Make cannons cost money. You need materials such as iron or gunpowder (the latter not actually produced by anyone. I've looked into Hierax producing it which might be a possibility in the future, but definitely not right now, so no one makes legit gunpowder at this moment).

IMG_2162.JPG

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
MrPolo has a good point indeed :D
There's more faces on that picture than characters in hawklight ZING!
Drake, Kharn, Milah, Illthilior, Bronn, Tohm, Axex, ...
:heart:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Oh take the pissing contests and bugger off. There was actual serious discussion happening here. Bah.

Is it /so/ bloody difficult to just work with people, even if you aren't friends? Just be courteous and stop antagonizing and upping the ante and w/e.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Oh take the pissing contests and bugger off. There was actual serious discussion happening here. Bah.

Is it /so/ bloody difficult to just work with people, even if you aren't friends? Just be courteous and stop antagonizing and upping the ante and w/e.
It was only a meme, I... Mr Polo is my friend. I agree with him..

Ddaug

Lord of Altera
I think roll mechanic is overused. Over complicates things and new players will get confused with all these rolling rules. I'd say just ban cannons or make them incredibly hard to acquire.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
I think roll mechanic is overused. Over complicates things and new players will get confused with all these rolling rules. I'd say just ban cannons or make them incredibly hard to acquire.
Rolling system actually makes it useless to develop my character since during events I have to roll to do anything they could do without rolls. I have to roll to gauge how well he fights against NPCs, my work into CRP and development means nothing with rolls.

Either make this a DnD like server with rolls or just don't.

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Rolling system actually makes it useless to develop my character since during events I have to roll to do anything they could do without rolls. I have to roll to gauge how well he fights against NPCs, my work into CRP and development means nothing with rolls.

Well, of course- I don't think it should be 100% rolling- certainly for players who know a lot about CRP and the time period- but if someone wants to roll, we should do the following:

1. Use it explicitly for magic, combat, and non-ordinary actions (trying to sneak away, pickpocket, etc) and learning.

2. Create a system that is balanced and takes into account the skill and items the players have, while also leaving non-rollers comfortable and free to do their thing.

Tl;dr- I agree and believe that all of this can be achieved through moderate, balanced measures

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods

Rolling for cannons can work, I'd say. Gunpowder wasn't really as predictable as modern explosives. Hell, even later gunpowder was more predictable than earlier. Except as I said above these current rolls are ludicrous.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Well, of course- I don't think it should be 100% rolling- certainly for players who know a lot about CRP and the time period- but if someone wants to roll, we should do the following:

1. Use it explicitly for magic, combat, and non-ordinary actions (trying to sneak away, pickpocket, etc) and learning.

2. Create a system that is balanced and takes into account the skill and items the players have, while also leaving non-rollers comfortable and free to do their thing.

Tl;dr- I agree and believe that all of this can be achieved through moderate, balanced measures
Let me tell you how your system will work in practice.

Sif approaches person, combat is initiated.

Person knows this is Sif and decides to use rolling instead of letting normal CRP happen since rolling is random, no matter how you make it

They get a 20 I get a 4 or 1 they kill my character due to rolls and not skill

I may as well toss out my char with rolls since my development in combat can be decided by RNG.

Rolling for cannons can work, I'd say. Gunpowder wasn't really as predictable as modern explosives. Hell, even later gunpowder was more predictable than earlier. Except as I said above these current rolls are ludicrous.
I agree with you, but you give an inch you give a mile when it comes to this.

JoeJoe

Yeehonk
Mystic
Retired Staff
JoJoJoeJoe
JoJoJoeJoe
Mystic
Now- if the roll system and all is being talked about.

Could we get on the topic about Archers and Rolls? Particularly since I fail about 2/3's of the time.

(Yes Sif- I know your system with Archers ^^)