Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Finished CANCELLED Building Contest: Tambry Shops, Busineses, and Homes

THIS EVENT IS CANCELLED OR POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST
Tambry-Upon-Tam
Building Contest

Prizes:
1st Place: 20,000 radiants, recognition here, a prominent placement in the Tambry Forum Thread, and IC recognition
2nd Place: 7,500 radiants and recognition here and IC
3rd place: 2,500 radiants and recognition here and IC

This competition is privately funded. If we get enough participants, the amounts listed in prizes are guaranteed, but could actually be more depending on participation. We will adjust the winner's prizes proportionately. If we do not get enough entries to the competition, we reserve the right to cancel the competition.

If you were ever thinking about buying property in Tambry, now is the time to do it. You may win 20,000r radiants!

Time Frame
The competition begins now and will run for three weeks, ending Sunday February 8th. We reserve the right to extend the time of the competition.

Entry:
1: You must own or lease-to-own a building in Tambry. If you don't own or lease-to-own a building, you must purchase one to participate. The size of the building should be appropriate for whatever its function is but size otherwise doesn't matter, and prices are as low as 500 radiants for a qualifying building. It can be an OOC shop, a strict RP building or home, an RP shop, or some combination thereof. You must follow the general Tambry building and zoning rules.

To purchase qualifying buildings, contact @Antilogy, @oounstopabl3oo, or @Silversurfer105

2: Once you own property, you may enter the competition by filling out this form:
IGN:
RP Name:
Property Location: (X=)(Y=)(Z=)
Name of Property:
Link To Forum Thread (if applicable):

When we close the competition, we will ONLY look at the builds by those who posted on this thread.

Areas of Critique:
Visual and Aesthetic Appeal
Interior and Exterior Decoration
Appropriate Design
Use of Villagers/Chests as Needed
Creativity
Originality/Novelty

Optional Consideration:
Building Construction (If you build your own building in a pre-approved area, you may receive extra credit).
Popularity (If an RP building brings people and is active, it may get more credit than an RP building that is empty)
Appropriate Forum Thread (Showcase or Trading)
Funny or Punny Name

Judges
To Be Decided (If staff wants to help us out, that would be great, otherwise I may recruit a disinterested party. I may just recruit my fiancee, who has played Minecraft once. I'll also take judge suggestions).

Other Thoughts
If you have any questions, please use this thread to ask.

This is /not/ a creative build competition, and we will only look at buildings in Tambry.

You may enter once per property. For example, if you own a building that has a separate shop in the basement and a disconnected shop upstairs, you may enter twice. If it's connected, you may only enter once.

You may use builds in the sewers and undercity to enter. The rights to build in the undercity noramlly costs 10,000r, but during this competition we are only charging 5,000r.

All property for sale in Tambry is marked. If you'd rather build your own, contact us and we'll arrange something.

If you want to help us fund the prizes, provide supplies for the competition, or just help in general, please let us know.

Disqualified builds: Capitol, Bank, Tavern, Chevalier Tower.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tagging Current Property Owners:

Business Name- Zoning - Owner
Better In Leatherworks - OOC - @BrianAT16
NATO - RP/OOC - @223hero7
Back To The Fuchsia - RP/OC @rimukinoki16
Meds, Wrath, and Beyond - RP/OOC @Curonious
Tambry Art and Dance Academy - RP - @Juno_Ax
Jekodi's Fish Shoppe - RP/OOC - @Serfla707
Ye Ol' Dwarven Blacksmith Shoppe - RP - @Bardin
Viola's Clothing Etc - RP - @DarkWolf
Run Down Pub - RP - @Balatro
Poisions and More - RP- @Balatro
The Alteran Postal Service - RP - @IceandFire
Lydel's Worldly Oddities - RP - @Ddaug02
Hutch Family General Store - RP/OOC - @Gilly Hutch
Oakland Trading Company - RP/OOC - @Tybalt
Sizzix's Trading - RP/OOC - @Sizzix3507
Egill's Brewing - RP/OOC - @Ozonepheonix
Guitar Centaur - OOC - @Antilogy (For Sale)
Hunting Stall - OOC - @Scar
Home @bettemus99
Blood Serpent Base @BrianAT16
Thieves Guild @Balatro
Lab @Ddaug02

Last edited by a moderator:

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
IGN:balatr0
RP Name:Balatro
Property Location: (X=)(Y=)(Z=) (Will update)
Name of Property: Hutch family General
Link To Forum Thread (if applicable): HERE

IGN: BrianAT16
RP Name: (Roran Campion-)
Property Location: (X=)(Y=)(Z=) X=10443, Y= 65, Z=7006
Name of Property: Better in Leatherworks
Link To Forum Thread (if applicable): http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/better-in-leather-leatherworks.31328/
IGN:balatr0
RP Name:Balatro
Property Location: (X=)(Y=)(Z=) (Will update)
Name of Property: Hutch family General
Link To Forum Thread (if applicable): HERE
Acknowledged. Thank you for entering the competition.

Hopefully we get more people, otherwise I will have no choice but to cancel it.

THIS EVENT IS CANCELLED OR POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

Thank you to those who expressed interest or entered the contest. We regret to inform you all that we have decided to cancel or indefinitely postpone the event. We may try it again sometime in the future, but at least for now it is closed.

Pretty sure there would be more interest if you wouldn't have to buy property first ;)
While I understand the sentiment, I completely disagree with you. A fee as low as the price of 1 vote should not prevent anybody from entering. Not only that, but in exchange for entering you get property that you get to keep (or sell when you're done). Besides, the lack of fee-payers is not the only issue.

There are 20 owned buildings in Tambry, which means 20 potential entries by people who already own the property and thus don't have to pay a fee to register. And of those twenty potential entries, we had 2. That's not even enough to run the competition.

I'm not the server and we don't have infinite money. To run a contest with a payout, there ought to be people willing to pay in. In this case, what you pay is applied toward property, which is more generous than most privately funded contests with payouts. In that sense, nobody loses, and some people win big.

Edit:
Dracon, if you're willing to help, you could pay the entrance fees for new competitors and we'll restart the competition. Then we'll see if the entry fee is really the reason why people aren't joining the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
While I understand the sentiment, I completely disagree with you. A fee as low as the price of 1 vote should not prevent anybody from entering. Not only that, but in exchange for entering you get property that you get to keep (or sell when you're done). Besides, the lack of fee-payers is not the only issue.

There are 20 owned buildings in Tambry, which means 20 potential entries by people who already own the property and thus don't have to pay a fee to register. And of those twenty potential entries, we had 2. That's not even enough to run the competition.

I'm not the server and we don't have infinite money. To run a contest with a payout, there ought to be people willing to pay in. In this case, what you pay is applied toward property, which is more generous than most privately funded contests with payouts. In that sense, nobody loses, and some people win big.

Edit:
Dracon, if you're willing to help, you could pay the entrance fees for new competitors and we'll restart the competition. Then we'll see if the entry fee is really the reason why people aren't joining the competition.
I do not think it is the amount, but psychological, no matter the amount, paying is paying and for some that is a minus ^^

I understand your reason and even I am planning one of these, but I know that people would rather do stuff for free than paying. :D

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight

Edit:
I'm definitely not paying for others to potentially win money ;) - I don't profit from that even if they win and every non-winner would be a of almost half a day voting.

And yes I understand your reasoning for asking money well. I held contests, although of less creative nature, in my town as well and I always managed to at least pull them off without having to ask a dime.
Mokwar pretty much said it its psychological - people will ask themselves why they should pay money to participate in an event. Next thing is that everyone has different building styles - mine for example wouldn't have fit Tambry.

My suggestion is lowering the prices, for example to :

1) 5000
2) 2500
3) 1000
(random example numbers)

8500 still a lot of money but also easier to fund for you guys than 30K in total, even if you don't ask entry money.
Only other thing you can try is doing them during holidays or school breaks.

As for the 20 Buildings:
How many of them are actually - active - in the town?

For the purposes of ending this discussion, I have PM'd Dracon to discuss his issues.

I did not ask for reasons why the event failed and if people want to talk to me about why, please do so in private chat.