Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Gavin Summerdell [Approved - NiNi]

Gavin Summerdell

Settling in Altera
About you

1) What is your Minecraft username?
mwoodman

2) How old are you?
Over 30. Old. I probably have underwear older than you.

3) Where are you?
Colorado, USA

4) Have you read our guides yet?
Yes.

5) Introduce yourself! (Minimum 5 sentences please!)

I'm a software engineer by day, a dad and gamer by night. I'm a freelance writer and I work in the video game industry, but not usually on game titles directly. So for fun I wrote a mod called JourneyMap for Minecraft, and that's been relatively successful and a fun project. Originally I wrote it so I wouldn't get lost on big Minecraft servers. :) I love doing elaborate Minecraft builds from time to time, as I have a minor passion for cool architecture. I also enjoy a bit of role playing, so I like the idea of a server that encourages both.

6) Got any examples of your work?

Here's a replica I made of the "Holy Grail temple" location used in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Here's an album of more images from the temple build: http://imgur.com/a/2LMvr#0 .

I also built the "City of the Dead" mob dungeon on Realmcraft last year. (
)
Sadly, I don't have any screenshots of it, but you can get a peek at it in the video.

----

About your character

Name: Gavin Summerdell
Race: Human
Appearance: A quiet man with an easy smile and a bit of swagger. Reddish-blonde locks of hair obscure his eyes when he is bent over his work. But when he straightens, his azure gaze does not waver. Gavin's tanned face and rough hands speak of hard work and perhaps harder times. He seems like a fellow who would be handy in a fight, reluctant to join one, and apt to be the one who finishes it.

----

The test

The common room gave little notice when the newcomer arrived, quietly picking a table by the hearth fire and ordering a mug of ale. Weary of the road and covered in the dust of travel, he sat with a sigh and loosened the laces on his boots. He kept to himself, drank by himself, and gave no-one cause for a second glance. Yet the serving wench who brought his ale, and later a meal, kept looking over her shoulder at him as she passed. Coreen knew her way around the inn and a thing or two about men, but something about this fellow was... interesting.

Perhaps it was his seeming ease in a room full of strangers, a confidence in unfamiliar surroundings. It may have been the friendly smile he offered her when most men usually leered. Whatever it was, the pretty girl found it as alluring as it was unsettling. Unfortunately, it also proved distracting. With a misstep Coreen stumbled and dumped a tray full of food on some other patrons, who roared their displeasure. One of the men - half-drunk in his cups and a regular at the inn - had seen with a jealous eye why the girl was distracted. As Coreen disappeared into the kitchens in embarrassment, the drunkard named Fenrick stood, pointing a half-eaten chicken leg at the newcomer.

"Oi, traveler. Think you can come in the Reach and mistreat the ladies? I expec' me and the lads may need to teach ya a fing or two 'bout manners, eh?"

The common room quieted down as the newcomer looked up from his meal, his eyes meeting those of the drunkard Fenrick. He said nothing for a long moment, chewing thoughtfully. Finally he swallowed, and carefully wiped his mouth with a napkin. Without a hint of irony, he replied: "Perhaps you do. If I have given the lady cause for offense, then I must certainly beg her forgiveness."

Fenrick blinked at this, uncertain of whether the other man was making a jape. Several chuckles came from the crowd. The drunk man darkened, "By Jax' dice, you'd better. And then clear out afore me an' my lads decide to give you a taste of Heaven's Reach justice! This inn ain't no place for the likes of you. You'd best learn how to behave around your betters."

Coreen reappeared with a fresh tray of food at this moment, slowing as she sensed the growing confrontation in the room.

Standing with an easy grace, the stranger came from around the table and advanced toward the drunkard. Fenrick immediately stepped back and the noise of the common room surged as the crowd anticipated the fight ahead.

But the newcomer wasn't making for the other man. Instead he approached Coreen within a couple of paces, gave her an easy smile, and then bowed deeply. "My lady," he said as he straightened. "I must ask your forgiveness. As my new friend has just reminded me, I have forgotten my manners. My name is Gavin Summerdell." He flashed her a winning, sincere grin, "And I would like to buy you dinner." A roar of laughter filled the room at this. Several men elbowed Fenrick with guffaws, for the drunkard had spent the better part of three years trying to summon the courage to approach Coreen himself.

Coreen gaped for a moment at Gavin, then a sly smile of her own grew across her pretty face. "A pleasure to meet you, kind sir. I'm Coreen Feyland..." She stole a sidelong glance at the drunkard and his companions, a glint in her eyes. "But I'm not sure whether you'd enjoy the company here."

Gavin gave an acquiescing nod, "True enough, m'lady. I've been warned this place isn't for the likes of me, and that I must learn to conduct myself in the presence of my betters." A half-bow with this toward the drunkard, who was squinting in suspicion at this admission. Gavin sighed, "And so, if you would be so kind to accompany me to the inn called August's Favor down the street, I believe we might actually find some of my betters there. Along with a good meal, if the tales are true."

The room fairly shook as nearly everyone laughed and roared and slapped one another on the back. August's Favor was an expensive establishment that few among the common folk could afford. If this newcomer could pay the coin, he'd have a fine meal and an impressed companion.

Gavin offered Coreen his arm, and the two of them headed for the door. Coreen tossed her apron to the barkeep, who shook his head in disbelief but didn't say a word. As the couple passed by Fenrick, the drunkard had murder in his eyes, but he dared not lift a finger with Coreen so close.

As the knot of men parted to let them pass, Gavin tossed a small bag of coins on their table. "My thanks for the lesson in manners, friends. The next round is on me..." He paused in the doorway and added, "... if you can find somebody to serve it." With that, he and Coreen were gone.

Turntwiin

I think I might like it here
Good sir, I would very much like to draw your character! With your permission, if possible, could you give me an actor that you may have based him on? If not, just a general facial structure would be handy.

Gavin Summerdell

Settling in Altera
That's a very kind offer. I hadn't even thought about that, so... why not! I googled a bit and found an actor that is close to what I was imagining. He's a bit older and his hair color isn't right, but - in terms of facial features and hairstyle - he's pretty close. These pictures even capture the hint of smile I was imagining:

http://puu.sh/2BerS.jpg | http://puu.sh/2BeQu.jpg | http://puu.sh/2BeVQ.jpg

He had a recurring minor role in the older Spider Man movies, and his name is Joe Manganiello. I guess he's also in the tv series True Blood, but I've never seen it.

Anyway, if you want to try a portrait, please be my guest and have fun :)

NiNi

MooCat
Ooh.. very nice build work too.

Your application is almost ready to be approved, all you need to do is answer the two following questions correctly. You will be able to find all the answers either on our forums or on the wiki, the link for which can be found near the top of the page. Remember to read everything carefully, some of the answers may be rather discreet.

According to our server lore, who are the good gods/goddesses?

What kind of potion does the Fire Daisy assist in?

Gavin Summerdell

Settling in Altera
Ooh.. very nice build work too.
According to our server lore, who are the good gods/goddesses?
What kind of potion does the Fire Daisy assist in?
The good deities are Harateth (among the big 3) and Korigon (among the lesser deities).

If you happen to have a red glowing rose handy, the fire daisy can be combined with the rose to make a Potion of Health. At least, that's what William O'Malley claims. Personally, I've never tried it.

NiNi

MooCat
Its a shame.. the second question was answered nicely but incorrectly!
Please answer these two:

Where can you apply to join a town on the server?
What is the unit of currency in Altera?

Gavin Summerdell

Settling in Altera
The page on Fire Daisies referred to its usefulness as a substitute for water, but since it doesn't refer to a specific "kind of potion", I turned to http://minecraft.hollowworld.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Journal_of_Gromm:_Glowing_Rose :

Since the earnest Mr. O'Malley mentioned a specific potion using the Fire Daisy, I thought his assertion a superior answer to "it's wet". Remind me to introduce O'Malley to a creeper friend of mine the next time I see him. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the Interscrolls.

Meanwhile, to appease she-who-must-be-approving:

1. To apply for membership in a town, you must contact that town's mayor or town assistant.
2. The Alteran currency is called Radiants.

NiNi

MooCat
The page on Fire Daisies referred to its usefulness as a substitute for water, but since it doesn't refer to a specific "kind of potion", I turned to http://minecraft.hollowworld.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Journal_of_Gromm:_Glowing_Rose :

Since the earnest Mr. O'Malley mentioned a specific potion using the Fire Daisy, I thought his assertion a superior answer to "it's wet". Remind me to introduce O'Malley to a creeper friend of mine the next time I see him. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the Interscrolls.

Meanwhile, to appease she-who-must-be-approving:

1. To apply for membership in a town, you must contact that town's mayor or town assistant.
2. The Alteran currency is called Radiants.
Oh? i didnt realise someone else was using the fire daisy. The question was looking for the official lore use of it.. Thanks for noting that though, that question needs rewording it seems!

Congratulations!

I'm pleased to announce your application has been approved. I hope you enjoy your stay in Altera. Before logging on make sure you read the Survival Guide. It will help you on your way to get established in our World. If you need to know any additional information, everything can be found in our Tome of Citizenship. Make sure you consult either of these two before asking a question ingame.

You are probably eager to jump into the game, so there is no need to read all the links. Just use these as a reference for later.(very useful, by the way.)

Altera survival guide
Tome of Citizenship
Commands
How to create your character profile
How to find a town
Server Rules
How to use titles
Where to vote for us
Tips on roleplay
How to use the forum
Hollow World Texture pack
Role-Play training camp
The Players' Handbook
The Role-Play Character Assistance Team(RP-CAT)

Lastly, please make sure you understand the following points. It's very important. As a new player, once you play you may be tempted to "test" out an x-ray mod... don't do it! We have a zero tolerance policy for it.
1) We have active members of staff monitoring players suspected of using X-RAY. We have extensive logging capabilities which also highlight to us when X-RAY is suspected. Anyone caught using X-RAY mods or Transparent Texture Packs will be permanently banned without appeal.
2) Anyone found to be griefing our server and subsequently blaming their sibling, friend, dog or any other person other than themselves will be banned irrespective of their innocence.