Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Inactive] Gold and Purple, the Siren Song

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Legend
Retired Staff
LeStrangest
LeStrangest
Legend
Serella has turned 18 years old. the new profile is not yet finished, and Serri will come back to civilization (and rp) when I'm good and ready gosh darnit!

I'd like to preface my eventual changes with something.

Serri's hair and eyes have changed color.

in a perfect world, I would have thought of this back when she was like, 13, and done the change then, but I didn't and now I'm stuck handwaving it as weird elven biology or something.

IF I'd decided to change her hair when she was 13, this is how I would have explained it:

a great many blonde-haired blue-eyed kids (sometimes called "towheads") actually get darker hair right before they reach puberty, fading from bright blonde to a more strawberry color, or even brown. blue eye colors often change as an individual ages (or based on the light, or a number of factors), though usually it ends up being around the light color spectrum.

biology is weird.

anyways, because I decided to do this at the transition to 18, I'm forced to explain it by a number of desperately transparent examples of Gaby reaching for straws.

first is the fact that nobody's really set down a proper age for elven maturity, but silver elven society dictates one to not be an adult until their 30th birthday. I don't know whether thats because of physical maturity, or uptight silver elves, but in any case, the 18-year-old Serri is far from being an adult in elven terms, and there are implications here and there of elven puberty being delayed in some manner.

I could explain it like that, if I hadn't already given Serri puberty hormones.
though come to think of it, they hadn't really kicked in until she was 16, so I have sooooomeeee leeway...

I can explain this weird "puberty here now, puberty there later" logic by talking about how in real life, puberty is really weird and unequal in humans, and while I might even take it one step further and say that Serri's human father is messing this whole thing up even further, that's straying dangerously close to "half-elf" territory, which is explicitly lorebanned, so forget that.

in any case, this is a huge mess of alternate interpretation lore and I'm cherry-picking evidence that works for me, and trying maximum hard to make this hair-eye change work because:

1. it's starting to bother me that she inherited both recessive traits from her parents, while both parents also possessed the respective dominant traits. blonde-haired brown-eyed mother, and black-haired blue-eyed father making a blonde-haired blue-eyed daughter? Serri is some kind of miracle baby.
  2. it's also starting to bother me that Serri looks to silver elf society like someone with very strong commoner blood. I might be lowkey trying to rectify my boneheaded lore mistake by elaborate retcon and biology handwaving. o____o
  3. blatant symbolism. to those about to complain, "you're just turning her into a forest elf!" well, DUH! that's exactly what's happening IC, why do you think Serri tried to propose to a forest elf with the whole "kindred" ceremony, then runs off to Tauredal with said forest elf? she's obviously trying to join that culture and those traditions, and she's really obviously rebelling against both Lavoyard and Silver Elf customs. me changing hair and eye color is just... making that obvious. trust me, people, I've done more obvious literary devices in the past. (perfect example: Salheira. one quick glance at her profile reveals a short list of really obvious themes running throughout.)
  4. honestly, none of this actually matters, because while I'm writing an essay about why I'm allowed to change a character's natural hair color as according to real life examples of such occurring, there's a silver elf with pink hair and the vast majority of elves (that are still good characters with rich backstories!) blatantly disregarding lore. also, there's a character with dyed green hair, two characters that had dyed purple hair, and a bunch of other characters with yellow or red or really bright green or blue eyes, and I mean, this isn't the worst thing somebody has done regarding hair-eye color! mine's not even bad, just a wee mistake in timing!
so yeah stuff.
I am going to be honest when I say I am not a big fan of any of these changes. It sounds like you are just trying to push Serri into the mold of a certain archetype that you want her OOCly to be. Serrella has blonde hair because her mother had blond hair. She has blue eyes because her father has blue eyes. This is just... genetics. Yes I know these are recessive traits but they are possible to be transferred to a child if the trait is in both parents even if not visible in both parents. (Yeah I took genetics in college & high school- might be a little wrong though, it has been awhile-). I know you are OOCly trying to change her hair to a darker color because Silver Elve noble have darker hair but Serella's hair isn't going "Oh no! I must get darker because Serella is considered a noble-" Yes I know sometimes hair color changes. Hell I have blonde hair in real life and during the winter it turns to a more lighter shade of brown color than blonde. Eyes I have never actually seen change color ever- Nor heard of such a thing but I am sure.. it might be possible. But I know in the end it is your character to do with but I personally I don't like these changes.. at all. Feels like you are just tossing all the traits she got from her parents out the window to better.. fit what you want. xl

Last edited:

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I am going to be honest when I say I am not a big fan of any of these changes. It sounds like you are just trying to push Serri into the mold of a certain archetype that you want her OOCly to be. Serrella has blonde hair because her mother had blond hair. She has blue eyes because her father has blue eyes. This is just... genetics. Yes I know these are recessive traits but they are possible to be transferred to a child if the trait is in both parents even if not visible in both parents. (Yeah I took genetics in college & high school- might be a little wrong though, it has been awhile-). I know you are OOCly trying to change her hair to a darker color because Silver Elve noble have darker hair but Serella's hair isn't going "Oh no! I must get darker because Serella is considered a noble-" Yes I know sometimes hair color changes. Hell I have blonde hair in real life and during the winter it turns to a more lighter shade of brown color than blonde. Eyes I have never actually seen change color ever- Nor heard of such a thing but I am sure.. it might be possible. But I know in the end it is your character to do with but I personally I don't like these changes.. at all. Feels like you are just tossing all the traits she got from her parents out the window to better.. fit what you want. xl
and this would be the part where I throw my drawing out the window because someone disagreed
and now I'm in an awkward position.

I am in a very, very awkward position.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
If only there was a process to dye hair in these ancient times. A process which fit the lore and was appropriate for culture, if only. If. On- Oh wait.

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
I mostly gave her this idea, due to the fact that in my youth I had blond hair and blue eyes, which as I grew up into a teenager changed to Brown hair and Hazel eyes, I can look back on old photographs to prove this, it's actually quite common for blond hair and blue eyes to change colors in ones youth. Puberty is really weird.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
No need to be rude towards her..
I wasn't being rude, I was just explaining that I didn't feel like arguing on here, especially after seeing their response to previous explanations of me disagreeing.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
.......... I.

Don't disagree then?

If the disagree doesn't make sense without an explanation and you dont want to explain it, then dont disagree.

Boog come on.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
If only there was a process to dye hair in these ancient times. A process which fit the lore and was appropriate for culture, if only. If. On- Oh wait.
I mean yeah but
I dont really know why she'd dye her hair, shes not really a vain person...

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Guys I think you're taking Serella's hair color to seriously...
Its only three shades on a color chart, she's still blond, just a really dark blond.

Hell, half of it is just me fixing the color because she was supposed to be DIRTY blonde, not platinum.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
After that drama.....

Hell with it, hair dye. Adding a short herbal recipe into the inventory (and its not like Serri hasn't had basic herbology experience in her skills list since she was like 7...) is less work than redrawing pictures.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Serella's profile is finally finished!!

and the hiatus on Serri is done! I still need to get her other skins ready aheheh. so many outfits.
all typos are completely intentional. Serri is not a good speller.

all relations updated (ohboy):
Relations
(this page is written in IC form. someone who finds the item labeled “Serella’s Journal” will find the following written inside. metagaming rules still apply, as the contents of her personal journal are not public knowledge.)

Might as well put the journal to good use? write down what I have, remember the important stuff, focus on what matters.
starting with people.

~Caedit Family~
Coralin Caedit ~ don’t forget your own mother, Serri! she may be gone, but at least you know where to go to visit her.
down by the grove, at the old shrine to Sallana.
Loup Caedit ~ dearest brother-cousin

Serella Caedit ~ me

Padragin ~ by kindred.

~ Beaumont Family ~
John de Beaumont ~ no-good worthless drunk dad. why does everyone put “de” in his name, and not any of the other Beaumont? I don’t really know. this is the one who disowned me. so clearly, he’s bad.

Valerie Beaumont ~ my aunt. hates me, likes me, I’m not really all that sure anymore. She made a deal with Azoth, and I still don’t remember what that deal was.

Arthorius Lavoyard ~ Lavoyard, Beaumont, same family, I think. we haven’t talked much, though I believe he’s an undead now, thanks to Ignis.

Elias Beaumont ~ Valerie’s brother, my uncle. believe he was archbishop. not sure. he was very helpful.

Sir Charlemagne Lavoyard ~ cousin to me, through… I forget. we never really talked.

Emperor Barthelemy Lavoyard ~ cousin to me, I believe because he’s Valerie’s son? in any case, he’s the emperor of Turia. not big on humor, but tolerates it. I think he and Sheila had a fling once. best not to ask about that.

~ Walterius Family ~
Mila Walterius ~ supposedly the aunt of Loup, moor elven woman

Melosa Crow ~ fairly sure that's her name now. maiden name is apparently Walterius

Calficer Crow ~ husband of Melosa

Loup Caedit ~ related through his father

Corvus Walterius ~ Loup's father

~Other Folk~

Sallana ~ she saved my life, forgave me for stealing. I made a promise to her. remember that promise.

Tybalt Rhett ~ watch out, Serri, nothing gets past this guy. and, he knows who I am, in the “silver fingers” way. Praise the divines he’s on my side.

Alanna Rhett ~ Tybalt’s sister has a few troubles, and even though she’s way older than me… I wanna help her.

Sheila Cor ~ she is still the queen of Marr. and even if she doesn’t quite share my feelings, it’s some sort of feeling. which is nice.

Saelen ~ ok, if she married Padra, and I marry Padra, does that mean she and me are sisters-in-law. or. am I married to Saelen? this is too confusing. maybe there can be an annulment.

Elrowen ~ dragon rider, befriended a god. once, he sang a lovely lullaby, and he confessed his love for Sheila, in a really, really showy way. kinda stole my thunder. lots of people hate him for the, well, thief stuff. but, he’s a nice guy. and doesn’t really deserve that sort of reputation. he’s not evil, neither is Visage.

Salyeira Rain-River~ friend of Melosa, I think. please remember she’s not a nakat. she’s a caparii. just a really fuzzy one.

Wulfe~ you know who Wulfe is. don’t need a journal to tell you what she did.

Maliyel ~ ugh, this guy is a creep! avoid him at all costs!

Peter Haolin~ took my town, took my mother’s honor, and all those things. I need to face him alone.

~People I Should Find~

Morna Rhett ~ ~ Valle de Mai?
Jaden Seeker ~ ~ Thiil
Azure ~ ~ Thiil
Kopii ~ ~ Thiil
Rosethorn ~ ~ Tambry, or Scourge
Anastasia Lavoyard ~ ~ ask Valerie. you only met when you were both very young, so she probably doesn’t remember. why do you remember, Serri?
Vlad ~ ~ not sure. he never gave any hint about where he’d be.
"Vicky" Victoria Retell ~ ~ Wolfstadt
Balatro ~~ probably Scourge. bring with the finished project!
Meridian ~~ teaching kids in Azerport? or was it Thiil?
Elias Beaumont ~~ blah blah Lavoyard place
Calcifer Crow ~~ Grafjell
*gasps*
@BrianAT16 @Padragin @Ruukasu Lawliet @Valonyx @223hero7 @Megadonkey30 (who's Charlemagne?)
@Monster_Dan @Bob_the_BuilderPet @Patrickdxs @Tybalt @Sir_Ashington @bettemus99 @Saelihn @samsam223 @Woolsey @MaelstromPuddle @OneRedBlock @CloakedReaper @Immerael @Omikuji @Aldion @Sir Andrew Wallins @CthulhuPeople @Balatro @Ratchat620

aaaaand that's all of them! everyone in Serri's relations. yehaw.