Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Lore & History FAQ

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
If all animals that are extinct on earth exist in Altera does that mean that Dodo's exist?
Haven't seen any saber tooth tigers so I think extinct animals are dead here too

Edit: Niah you spoop now I'm wrong

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
If all animals that are extinct on earth exist in Altera does that mean that Dodo's exist?
So way back in the day in 2013 after the last Exodus I found an interesting post about Ice Age creatures. What it seems to imply is that certain Ice Age creatures could still be around, A.K.A. Mammoths. The answer then was yes but many things have changed since then as lore has been cleaned up. I talked to Solus about it last night in game and got a unsure but most likely no, they do not exist anymore. Thread is here, http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/lore-mandate-and-overall-clarification.21116/page-3#post-311173 relevant posts by K9 and Legion.

Now while I have no plans for Mammoths I do think it would be cool if they existed and it would make sense if Altera's original inhabitants never hunted them to extinction like our own ancestors did. I'm just curious of the following.

1) Are they still a thing?
2) If yes, what other things are?
3) If no, what animals do exist? All the ones in the real world which existed say 1300-14oo?
4) If yes to 3, then are animals that are now extinct but weren't then free to be found in RP given you are in the right environment etc?
5) Same question as 4 to plants?
All currently extant animals on Earth exist in Altera, given the terrain is appropriate. No llamas or aurochs since we're in "Europe", as an example.
So to clarify I'm sure with minimal searching I can find some other species unique to Europe that are now extinct but weren't in the middle ages. Also Aurochs were a European ox that didn't go extinct until 1627 according to Wiki, so its conceivable they could be round the time period. Again just to clarify, only existing modern animals or is a case by case on extinct animals?
So that looks like it was answering for "mammoths and whales," which I'm going to interpret as "whales" given the "don't get too ridiculous" comment by Legion. So:

1) As much as they ever were. So probably not a thing.
2) Whales?
3) Yes, real world animals.
4) I'm curious which you mean? But yeah, I don't see why not... Within reason. Remember, this is not intended to be a direct analog to the Middle Ages. For extinct animals, it's probably best to ask... if it even comes up!
5) See answer to #4!

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
ok so do the nuns or monks or whoever actively track every murderer's life to tell if they need to be revived or not? do they know if a murderer intends to commit more murders if revived? the answer is no.
a murderer is a murderer there is no middle ground there I'm sorry

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
a murderer is a murderer there is no middle ground there I'm sorry
i didn't say murderers aren't murderers. but why should the sisters, who do not interact with any of the player characters except when reviving, know that someone is a murderer?

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
i didn't say murderers aren't murderers. but why should the sisters, who do not interact with any of the player characters except when reviving, know that someone is a murderer?
if the soul is (fromwhatI'vebeentoldbyinsanelyskewedmultipletimesinthepast) mostly driven by will/how stretched it is, how far is it from being able to feel for the souls personality too

I mean how far are the sisters really from understanding a corpse/the soul.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
if the soul is (fromwhatI'vebeentoldbyinsanelyskewedmultipletimesinthepast) mostly driven by will/how stretched it is, how far is it from being able to feel for the souls personality too

I mean how far are the sisters really from understanding a corpse/the soul.
hook me up with what you're smoking

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
At the end of the day, they see an opportunity to add one more living thing to the world because the soul wants to come back. The kind of soul doesn't matter. It's just an additional number to add to the tally of living things.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
To add no one OOC says the gods are infallible. They are completely susceptible to logical fallacies in their thinking.

Harateth fell to corruption due to his pride. Shalherna doesn't think her own ideals through very much. Silas lets Jishrim bully him out of his lunch money. Etc.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I want to hear more about this. . .Sounds pretty cool :eek:
silas iirc was a player char, not too sure about that. there's also a heretical player god that was called visage that had most of visage's traits before the current god visage existed, although people will deny that they're related in any way because.. OOC hate i guess?

gelyk and some other losers killed harateth

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I believe Vorar tried to summon She Who Is Beyond Names once and ended up creating Silas because Silas had picked up a fragment of SWIBN or something I think. Baron

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
silas iirc was a player char, not too sure about that. there's also a heretical player god that was called visage that had most of visage's traits before the current god visage existed, although people will deny that they're related in any way because.. OOC hate i guess?

gelyk and some other losers killed harateth
I think Silas was played by Mich as an event character. A Sorrow in that whole Sorrows/Demon campaign thing iirc.