Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Magic Discussion & Questions

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
I feel rules should be set in place to reign back the magic system. Because as it stands if I get creative I can effectively snub any threat with each of the disciplines (especially the healing one, enjoy a finger growing back in your heart.)

There should be a system of checks in place. Like taking a will check against cognimancy. This could lend to more professions popping up. Like enchantress and scribes. Making armour that counters magic by offering a boost to saves. Other boosts granted for things that go against a characters core. From simple things like most people will not kill themselves at a mere thought.

Ultimately however my main issue is with cognimancy as it takes control away from the player. When I can get into a fight. Then suddenly be told. Your character has fallen madly in love with mine. Enjoy your concubineship. Which sends extremely creepy vibes up my spine and latches to my neck.

This has turned into a bit of a rant but also the lore seems a bit lifted from magic the gathering. Intentional or not.

"The spark is triggered by a powerful, emotionally-affecting, perspective-altering life event, often a near death experience in which it triggers to protect the individual. Making them a planeswalker"

Feel free to argue against me. My main issue is the sheer potential of this.
There are rules. They're just not publically available to prevent metagaming, since once you figure out/realize the weaknesses of the disciplines, the disciplines suddenly become a lot worse than if you were to just do battle conventionally.

For that matter, mastery in the magic system is not so much a straight upgrade, but more of a sidegrade. Mastery in it implies a great deal of skill in using and executing with it, but it's not much different from - if you were fighting them - a master warrior. There are some different tricks you'll need to counter, but assuming you come prepared, knowledgeable, and do not act uncautiously (like how you would also have to tackle a conventional warrior of this caliber if you wanted to have any chance of success) then you're fine.

There is no one discipline that operates off of scaling saves from other players; that's simply impossible to quantify. There also exists the matter of being able to outplay mages indirectly; like puzzle bosses in many games, you would have a hard time tackling them directly, but once you figure out what you're doing, it becomes easier.

Regarding Cogimency, that is something that is literally impossible to do within the discipline. Cogimency does not deal (directly) with emotions. The Cogimens could illusion themselves to look like your significant other and attempt to seduce you, but that's sort of hard given that that they can't capture all of the subtle nuances of another person, how they'd act, their voice, etc on the fly.

Regarding Magic the Gathering: I, nor anyone else who wrote the lore to my knowledge, have any experience in or knowledge of the lore of the franchise in the question. Any similarities are just a somewhat amusing coincidence. Given that there are probably thousands of magic systems out there, each relatively unique from one another, I'm not surprised there's the tiniest bit of overlap.

Finally, with creativity/potential, there's not really that much. Regarding occult pursuits, yes, there is a great deal that a mage could do to pursue something of this nature. I don't know what it would accomplish, though. If you had a good knowledge of physics, you could invent a lot of our modern conveniences if you were exceedingly clever. With alchemy, you can come up with poisons and cures that are otherwise unheard of in Altera. Now this doesn't matter if you're solely wanting to pursue something occult-y and magic-y, but it's the same way with someone who has no prior swordsmanship wanting to pursue a swordsman. Does that make sense?

Bakaling

Lord of Altera
In regards to most things mentioned. First off I feel the rules need be made public. Or else non magic users have no clue when the is powerplaying afoot since we don't know where the line is.

And really I most probably will just not consent/leave rp if many of the situations arises. Magics strength comes from the fact it is ranged with no channel. If you want to quell a mage it seems you need to sneak up on them and hit without notice. Either up close or with a bow/crossbow.

Close up has inherent risks and ranged both has the two/three emote set back.

Thanks for the reply.
No hostility meant .

Thank you.

Last edited:

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
In regards to most things mentioned. First off I feel the rules need be made public. Or else non magic users have no clue when the is powerplaying afoot since we don't know where the line is.

And really I most probably will just not consent/leave rp if many of the situations arises. Magics strength comes from the fact it is ranged with no channel. If you want to quell a mage it seems you need to sneak up on them and hit without notice. Either up close or with a bow/crossbow.

Close up has inherent risks and ranged both has the two/three emote set back.

Thanks for the reply.
No hostility meant .

Thank you.
Look, public rules are debateable, it could be good, but I'm not sure how you'd reveal all of the system without ruining the nuances of the system itself. In fact, few other systems are laid out in this precise way. The vast majority of the rules are already out in the public magic sub forum, and each spell is listed under the apprentice's 'Known Spells' section, so you can cross check with that.

Even when guides and systems are clearly laid out, they are very rarely read with any sort of thoroughness. Example: the guide for the Prestige system that took about 10 hours to create - testing the plugin for the guide, writing the guide, re writes and corrections. Yet still dozens of players had questions that were answered in that guide. Even recently, someone made a correction to the guide in another thread, but hadn't even checked the guide to confirm or deny the need for that correction. I'm not sure how much further threads would assit the public, considering that some are clearly going unread.

A guide for magic already half exists, the so it's not obscenely difficult to deduce what might be OP or not.

If you do have queries about something, the magus of each discipline is public, and there is nothing stopping you from contacting them with queries or concerns.

However, if magic's strength is "ranged with no channel", then magic doesn't have very many strengths at all, because there are not very many spells like that.

Unless you have access to some grimoire that I do not, it is simply very very rarely the case. I'm going to extend the example blarg used - if you wanted to quell an expert swordsman like someone from Anhald or Hawklight, or an expert archer, like one of the Rangers, what would you do then?

It is not difficult to dispatch a mage, I would say, you just have to accept that they are good at something (like a swordsman or archer), and attack appropriately. You wouldnt try and run up to stab an archer from 100m away, and you wouldn't swing recklessly when dueling a swordsman. Apathy to a skill will always be a downfall in life, the same is no different on HW.

Look, I really appreciate your input, and so far this thread has been very engaging, with mostly excellent points made, but you seem to just be spouting words that show little to no connection to any of the magic systems.

Nothing you have said has any basis in what actually occurs, even though most of the information is already available. If you do not like the idea of magic, that's completely understandable, but a rant without basis isn't a positive contribition to a system that so many people believe needs positive contribution and development - otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

-K9

Tot

Lord of Altera
Frosty
The_Tottot
The_Tottot
Frosty
Look, public rules are debateable, it could be good, but I'm not sure how you'd reveal all of the system without ruining the nuances of the system itself. In fact, few other systems are laid out in this precise way. The vast majority of the rules are already out in the public magic sub forum, and each spell is listed under the apprentice's 'Known Spells' section, so you can cross check with that.

Even when guides and systems are clearly laid out, they are very rarely read with any sort of thoroughness. Example: the guide for the Prestige system that took about 10 hours to create - testing the plugin for the guide, writing the guide, re writes and corrections. Yet still dozens of players had questions that were answered in that guide. Even recently, someone made a correction to the guide in another thread, but hadn't even checked the guide to confirm or deny the need for that correction. I'm not sure how much further threads would assit the public, considering that some are clearly going unread.

A guide for magic already half exists, the so it's not obscenely difficult to deduce what might be OP or not.

If you do have queries about something, the magus of each discipline is public, and there is nothing stopping you from contacting them with queries or concerns.

However, if magic's strength is "ranged with no channel", then magic doesn't have very many strengths at all, because there are not very many spells like that.

Unless you have access to some grimoire that I do not, it is simply very very rarely the case. I'm going to extend the example blarg used - if you wanted to quell an expert swordsman like someone from Anhald or Hawklight, or an expert archer, like one of the Rangers, what would you do then?

It is not difficult to dispatch a mage, I would say, you just have to accept that they are good at something (like a swordsman or archer), and attack appropriately. You wouldnt try and run up to stab an archer from 100m away, and you wouldn't swing recklessly when dueling a swordsman. Apathy to a skill will always be a downfall in life, the same is no different on HW.

Look, I really appreciate your input, and so far this thread has been very engaging, with mostly excellent points made, but you seem to just be spouting words that show little to no connection to any of the magic systems.

Nothing you have said has any basis in what actually occurs, even though most of the information is already available. If you do not like the idea of magic, that's completely understandable, but a rant without basis isn't a positive contribition to a system that so many people believe needs positive contribution and development - otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

-K9
We need rules . . . It's a simple request that we have freedom to the information that limits someone. I do not understand how you could abuse them more than any other system here. I feel it is irresponsible to let magic wielders run rampant without us knowing what they can and cannot do. I would appreciate the posting of the magic rules as a non magic user. Comparing it to that of a swordsman or a archer is ridiculous in the sense that we have no idea was magic can and cannot do. With an archer I know their limits! Same with swordsmen. Magic is unpredictable and seeing as you have rules and regulations I once again state that we would like those rules made public. Thank you.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
We need rules . . . It's a simple request that we have freedom to the information that limits someone. I do not understand how you could abuse them more than any other system here. I feel it is irresponsible to let magic wielders run rampant without us knowing what they can and cannot do. I would appreciate the posting of the magic rules as a non magic user. Comparing it to that of a swordsman or a archer is ridiculous in the sense that we have no idea was magic can and cannot do. With an archer I know their limits! Same with swordsmen. Magic is unpredictable and seeing as you have rules and regulations I once again state that we would like those rules made public. Thank you.
Almost the entire set of rules that I play by whilst using magic can be found here:

http://hollowworld.co.uk/forums/the-arcane.287/

For sake of ease, I will list the spell points of each known spell on my own mage profile. It won't be listed straight away, as I am currently on the bus home. Expect it within two hours. (Edit: dunnit)

Other than that, I'm not sure what more you can look for. However, addressing your point further: I too do not understand how you can abuse them more than any system listed here. The potential for abuse exists in every system, that is why staff are often called to DM a fight of any nature. However, I can say for certain, the limits of any and all systems mentioned are blurred, otherwise powergaming wouldn't ever exist.

In fact, I would argue that the potential of magic users being allowed to 'run rampant' is severly reduced, as there is far more scrutiny on magic users than on sword wielders/archers/etc.

If we return to the concept of rules, the overarching ruleset of any magic system listed can be found at the above link.

-K9

Last edited:

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
It's rather telling that the automatic first assumption with magic is that it's OP towards other types of fighters, rather then looking at the other potential magic could have if utilized beyond a violent interaction. I know the current magics posted don't have much beyond fighting uses, (at least from what I skimmed over) but I always hoped and imagined that magic could be used beyond that bringing in interesting rp rather then fighting.

Using it to help other characters that don't have certain skills, or having magic used to ward off other terrible beasties or even use it to communicate/interaction in a new way to other creatures beyond fighting them. Blessings or shields, the ability to see spies or even be spies in the political games, thieves using it as distractions in different ways, or even entertainers using the magic to make grandiose shows for nobility/the common people as amazing entertainment. Maybe create things that otherwise can't be created so easily like beautiful words on a paper or a picture that seems to catch the eyes of others more easily (aka enchanted/magic touched items. Or cursed in some peoples opinion).

There's plenty of interesting ways to use magic in a nonviolent way that would bring about some rp interaction in a different way.

But lots of people worries about fighting. I find that to be a gosh dang shame, meanwhile I want magic that can make pretty colorful lights appear that smell like roses. Or a cleaning spell that takes the form of water but never damages books.

Or maybe a spell that summons/lures bunnies that start harassing countries crops to the point of near hoard potential cutting off their veggie food supply thanks to the amount of buns about. I donno, something weird.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
It's rather telling that the automatic first assumption with magic is that it's OP towards other types of fighters, rather then looking at the other potential magic could have if utilized beyond a violent interaction. I know the current magics posted don't have much beyond fighting uses, (at least from what I skimmed over) but I always hoped and imagined that magic could be used beyond that bringing in interesting rp rather then fighting.

Using it to help other characters that don't have certain skills, or having magic used to ward off other terrible beasties or even use it to communicate/interaction in a new way to other creatures beyond fighting them. Blessings or shields, the ability to see spies or even be spies in the political games, thieves using it as distractions in different ways, or even entertainers using the magic to make grandiose shows for nobility/the common people as amazing entertainment. Maybe create things that otherwise can't be created so easily like beautiful words on a paper or a picture that seems to catch the eyes of others more easily (aka enchanted/magic touched items. Or cursed in some peoples opinion).

There's plenty of interesting ways to use magic in a nonviolent way that would bring about some rp interaction in a different way.

But lots of people worries about fighting. I find that to be a gosh dang shame, meanwhile I want magic that can make pretty colorful lights appear that smell like roses. Or a cleaning spell that takes the form of water but never damages books.
Or maybe a spell that summons/lures bunnies that start harassing countries crops to the point of near hoard potential cutting off their veggie food supply thanks to the amount of buns about. I donno, something weird.
Animancy and Cogimency are amazing for non-combat uses. Charms, fetishes, and whatnot listed in the Animancy overview can do quite a bit of what you described. Cogimency could be used for amazing entertainment as well. I think Evicism is the only school that comes across as fully combat oriented.

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
Animancy and Cogimency are amazing for non-combat uses. Charms, fetishes, and whatnot listed in the Animancy overview can do quite a bit of what you described. Cogimency could be used for amazing entertainment as well. I think Evicism is the only school that comes across as fully combat oriented.

Then that's really a shame that they aren't really in circulation for people to really learn, or it's just not very evident that it is. That's a whole big box to open about the flaws when it comes to how magic is given out to people, and who gets chosen for them and if they actually would properly match that type of magical play but what can you do. Unless they bring in a new way to get more magic out to willing people, rather then just the magus system.

After all, how did those magus' become just that? Did they have teachers? Did it just sort of manifest and they played with it personally eventually figuring out how to pass it to other people? Did a unicorn come around and poke them with their horn?

Oh man it'd be great if someone ate something weird in the new land and ended up with magic for a short time. Then the more of that fruit they eat the longer the magic stays. Then they gotta take care of their little magic fruit tree.

Even with sparking there can be interesting ways to do it surely, there's more then just magus' blessing a person with magic right?

There's a lot of untouched potential when it comes to magic, but people are so scared of it. But then you can have that be a thing too in the rp, magical people having to deal with that sort of stuff and being sneaky. Heck can even have accidental sparked mages running around accidently magic'ing (Rules set in place for that so then not abused of course)

What I'm trying to say magic is fun. And you can have a lot of fun with magic if you have fun with it. But we can't really have fun with magic because magic is so near impossible to get to the point it's not even a factor. Or people automatically assuming it will OP when in reality it'd be no more OP than any other system of alchemy or archery or using traps.

I just want more magic in the land, I came back to the server originally because I had heard about the new land that was coming, and the fact that magic was supposed to be more abundant.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Then that's really a shame that they aren't really in circulation for people to really learn, or it's just not very evident that it is. That's a whole big box to open about the flaws when it comes to how magic is given out to people, and who gets chosen for them and if they actually would properly match that type of magical play but what can you do. Unless they bring in a new way to get more magic out to willing people, rather then just the magus system.

After all, how did those magus' become just that? Did they have teachers? Did it just sort of manifest and they played with it personally eventually figuring out how to pass it to other people? Did a unicorn come around and poke them with their horn?

Oh man it'd be great if someone ate something weird in the new land and ended up with magic for a short time. Then the more of that fruit they eat the longer the magic stays. Then they gotta take care of their little magic fruit tree.

Even with sparking there can be interesting ways to do it surely, there's more then just magus' blessing a person with magic right?

There's a lot of untouched potential when it comes to magic, but people are so scared of it. But then you can have that be a thing too in the rp, magical people having to deal with that sort of stuff and being sneaky. Heck can even have accidental sparked mages running around accidently magic'ing (Rules set in place for that so then not abused of course)

What I'm trying to say magic is fun. And you can have a lot of fun with magic if you have fun with it. But we can't really have fun with magic because magic is so near impossible to get to the point it's not even a factor. Or people automatically assuming it will OP when in reality it'd be no more OP than any other system of alchemy or archery or using traps.

I just want more magic in the land, I came back to the server originally because I had heard about the new land that was coming, and the fact that magic was supposed to be more abundant.
I gotta agree with Omi here. Magic can be fun as hell when given out. The only times I've seen it become OP is due to people only thinking about it in terms of "Cast fireball!" or "Lightning bolt!" When Magic is taken into the context of just being a toolbox, you can make some amazing things from it. I know the one thing I was super hyped about, but was then utterly crushed from, was enchantments. I don't want anything else other than to be able to make some God damn aesthetically appeasing moments. A flaming sword or one covered in bites of frost that wisp into the air is awesome to me. We're making America great again, when can we make magic great again? Well. . maybe Great finally is the better term.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera

Not gonna lie, when I found out about magic, I wanted Roy to learn eviscism (cause fire mage and blacksmith... that's pretty much it, im a simple person XD) but had no idea on how to go about doing this... putting that aside, I'd spend free time thinking about what Roy would do if he did have access to fire magic and it helped me flesh out the character more. While I can understand the reasoning behind some magic having combat uses, it's also fascinating to take a step back and think of how else to use a fireball... is it really just to be launched at an opponent or a structure to burn? OR could you launch it and have it explode mid-air to make magic fireworks at a festival. Now admittedly, these things would require a character t adopt magic as an every day thing, training it near constantly to make sure they dont blow themselves, or someone else, up... and that's the key thing that I think we've overlooked, how dangerous magic can be for the user. Yes, magic users can do amazing things, but they themselves are susceptible to simply USING the spells. The only reason I think so many people (who aren't involved in the magic group) think it's op is because the rules are not public, so they assume the worse. I understand why the rules are not displayed, and I agree with that reasoning, just throwing some info around that I call my 2 cents.

This has turned into a bit of a rant but also the lore seems a bit lifted from magic the gathering. Intentional or not.

"The spark is triggered by a powerful, emotionally-affecting, perspective-altering life event, often a near death experience in which it triggers to protect the individual. Making them a planeswalker"
To be fair, there's a lot of fantasy magic systems that tie powers to emotions. And if you break down a lot of things simply, you find a lot of interesting ideas that overlap.
MTG: "When someone feels intense emotions, an inner power is exposed and unlocks hidden potential."
HW: "Ditto."

this doesn't make it bad, oversimplify anything, and it becomes eerily similar to something else.

Star Wars: "A lone hero is given custody of an ancient artifact by an old man, meeting this man sends him on a journey against the forces of evil that threaten the land."
LOTR: "Ditto."
so just because something's similar, you should still take time to look at the finer details, HW has much heavier repercussions for using magic than Planeswalkers, who are practically godlike in their capabilities (One of them made a plane, an angel to protect the plane, and fights beings capable of warping reality... sounds strong to me!) whereas mages in HW have severe limitations

Last edited:

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Well, the thing is, the magic isn't just combat centric. I was extrapolating stuff to Bakaling using conventional combat techniques as a comparison because we were talking about magic as used in combat. Think about it -

Animancy, magic of soul. Has thought been given to what this could mean if you talk to ghosts?
Evicism, magic of energy. How hilarously are the implications of this if you could make magical solar power with this, and convert that solar power into kinetic energy?
Cogimency, magic of mind. Think of every single thing that a psychology or neurology class taught you about how the brain works, and turning that on its head.
Formistry, magic of matter. Magic of matter. As Cyberchaos mentioned blacksmithing with evicism, why do that at all when you can just will metal to turn into a sword?
(keep in mind those are all just very broad generalizations i've made that i've inferred based off of their descriptions. i did not actually cross-reference to check if those are stuff you can accomplish easily from day one. my guess is probably not)

(also, if anyone has questions, i like responding to those too - so far there's been about 15 declarations of what people think of the system, its flaws, its boons, etc, for every 1-2 questions)

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Well, the thing is, the magic isn't just combat centric. I was extrapolating stuff to Bakaling using conventional combat techniques as a comparison because we were talking about magic as used in combat. Think about it -

Animancy, magic of soul. Has thought been given to what this could mean if you talk to ghosts?
Evicism, magic of energy. How hilarously are the implications of this if you could make magical solar power with this, and convert that solar power into kinetic energy?
Cogimency, magic of mind. Think of every single thing that a psychology or neurology class taught you about how the brain works, and turning that on its head.
Formistry, magic of matter. Magic of matter. As Cyberchaos mentioned blacksmithing with evicism, why do that at all when you can just will metal to turn into a sword?
(keep in mind those are all just very broad generalizations i've made that i've inferred based off of their descriptions. i did not actually cross-reference to check if those are stuff you can accomplish easily from day one. my guess is probably not)

(also, if anyone has questions, i like responding to those too - so far there's been about 15 declarations of what people think of the system, its flaws, its boons, etc, for every 1-2 questions)
can megik give me lactokinesis? I saw it on TV once. op.
;)

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
CyberChaosV2 I can assure you the Evicism students are keenly aware of just how dangerous their spells are. Also given all them are aware that Ced blew up in the past when using the precursor to our magic we are also keenly aware of how dangerous it is for us. XD

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
I think that having the nuances of magic rules a secret from most is a good thing. It would be way to easy to accidently or purposely metagame if the common player had all the info. It would also take all the fun out of figuring out ways to bypass them. In anycase i wouldn't be to worried about the influx of mages, if they get to out of hand i'm sure a mage hunting group would pop up. from what ive seen, mages are far from the invincible threat that most assume they are. I like all the talk of the things magic can do out of combat , i think it lends a light air to it and makes it feel more interesting. Magic can do much more than pew pew and thats what makes it cool.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Here is one spell from each tier of Eviscism.

Spell Name: Dazzle
Spell Level: Apprentice
Branch: Penumbraltic
Spell Effect: 1 second window of dazzling light emits from the focus, distracting a foe, or at least impressing them.
Spell Adverse Effect: Delayed delivery - Surprising the user.
Spell Cost: 4

Spell Name: Cauterise
Spell Level: Journeyman
Branch: Thermal,
Spell Effect: The focus is heated enough to cleanse and burn wounds shut for a brief few moments of time.
Spell Adverse Effect: Further wound contamination, unclean focus may magnify.
Spell Cost: 10

Spell Name: Flare
Spell Level: Adept
Branch: Thermal
Spell Effect: An uncontrolled flame flares along the focus for around ten seconds of time.
Spell Adverse Effect: The fire is wild and releases searing heat. The caster is not immune to this.
Spell Cost: 20

Spell Name: Climate - Blizzard
Spell Level: Master
Branch: Thermal, Kinetic,
Spell Effect: Creates a synthetic storm of snow, freezing water particles and whipping them around with use of winds, the caster being within the eye of the small storm. It lasts as long as the mage can muster. 25 meter radius.
Spell Adverse Effect: Over-exhaustion, thermal backlash slowly freezing the caster from the inside.
Spell Cost: 125

I intend to have a full spell list for my branch up eventually. Why don't I, yet? None of my apprentices are far enough to be casting the potentially unbalanced spells and the idea of posting what I don't consider the final list feels like ruining the one chance I have to introduce this shit without getting lynched. As my apprentices advance and learn spells the final spells for Eviscism will be released alongside them. I am still debating how much description to include in 'spell effect'. The astute will notice that my branch has no 'Magus' tier as I've decided to cut it completely.

Yes, this means I can never do the cool thing I did where I shot the dragon with a bolt of lightning ever again. Weep for me.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
also in regards to posting the RULES to figure out our DASTARDLY SECRETS

I have none and I implore none of you ever try to separate me from my tool that glows whenever I cast magic because it won't do anything.