Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Marcus "Pyrocide" Helix

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
I vaguely remember dragging overlord into the basement of the old bloody coin and beating the snot out of him because RP reasons and monaaaaaaay.

Oh funsies.

-K9

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Herein this book I, Baron Marcus Helix, Mogul of Cromarcky and Master of Coin for the Crown, will henceforth write all things I deem important enough to be read by whoever should take my place in case of my disappearance or death. It will be my lasting teaching and advice for the next leaders of our great House.

Entry 1 - The Frog and the Scorpion

There was an old story that I was told as a child that has been circling my mind for the past few months, and I feel the need to discuss it here. The story is called, "The Frog and the Scorpion," and goes something like this -

~~~
There was a Frog and a Scorpion sitting on the bank of a wide river. The Scorpion asked the Frog, "Brother Frog, may I please ride your back so that you may carry me across the river?" The Frog replied, "But Scorpion, if I let you ride my back you will certainly sting me." The Scorpion then responded, "But Frog, I would not sting you because if I sting you, we will both drown." The Frog saw the wisdom in the Scorpion's words, and agreed to ferry him across the river.

Midway across the river, the Scorpion stung the Frog. The Frog shouted, "Why did you sting me? Now we shall both drown!" To which the Scorpion solemnly replied, "Brother Frog, it is simply in my nature to sting," as they both sank under the water.
~~~

The meaning of the story is pretty simple. However, How does one know the scorpion amongst the frogs? A scorpion has his tail and pincers, but what do those who wish to do me harm have? Surely, by the time I see the cutthroat's blade I am too late to avoid the sting. Should I take heed of another person's warning? Or is that warning the false words of a scorpion? I struggled with this for some time, contemplating the dangers and pitfalls of how to avoid the fate of the frog, until I realized the obvious.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Entry 2 - Face

It should come as no surprise, future leader of our great house, that the most important ability a Mogul must possess is the ability to successfully converse with other political entities. I myself have found that adopting different mannerisms and dialects to be a major boon in this area. A Mogul must be able to act refined and culutred amongst Nobility, and at the exact same time he also must be able to sling Riddlespeak better than the scum on the docks. It is also of great importance to know exactly when to use which. This has the indirect effect of creating a number of "Faces" that the Mogul must switch between depending on who he is interacting with at the time.

Of course, the initial reaction to such an idea would be that I have been somehow fake toward those I've spoken to in any official capacity. I would reject such notions, however. I may be using different ways of speech to make conversation smoother, but everyone has still seen the real me. I have not hidden any intentions nor given false testament to any event. After all, my dialect may have been altered, but my eyes were plain to see, and are not the eyes the windows to the soul?

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I have to say I love just how different the entries are. You can see a very different type of personality behind the writings.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Entry 3 - Threats

You've surely noticed by now that I've purposefully skipped the basic tenets of our house. Under no circumstance would a Mogul reach such a position without knowing these concepts, so I feel as though I would be wasting time and ink to write on them.

Something that plays off of our basic doctrine deals with threats. Put simply, avoid the use of threats. Only the weak use threats. If you were to threaten a person with force and he concedes, it is because he already fears you - the threat was unnecessary. If you threaten an enemy and he doesn't concede, he will instead become angry. An angry person will feel the need to do something to repair his pride. If you must destroy someone, then destroy them. A living enemy is dangerous. A dead enemy is dead. It is better to have a graveyard of dead enemies than a single angry one.

Similarly, understand that a man that threatens or hates you openly should be ignored, because that is all they are capable of doing. If they could actually cause harm then they would. A man that speaks vile of me publicly has no power and is easily ignored.

So you can see threats are useless, both being used from and to you. You represent our entire house, and must stay civil in speech, and effective in action.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
A very good question.

As far as Cromarcky law goes, should the Mogul die or disappear for an extended period of time, the remaining Barons would choose between themselves who will be the next Mogul.

kaza125

Lord of Altera
Hey Pyro, I was just wondering what does Baron Marcus think of Arcturus? Are they like an ally or perhaps a secret rival?

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
So far, we have been on the same side of every major political event, so I have to say that we are at least good friends, perhaps even more than that.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Entry 4 - Combat

Esteemed Mogul of Cromarcky, as you already know, open physical combat should be avoided if possible, since it is neither civilized nor profitable when it is your people that fight. However, should violence be unavoidable, remember this:

Those who would slander our name or use fraud against us, I consider them wretches and a scoundrels. Because of this, I will not adhere to rules that the opponent would simply ignore. I will not put myself at a disadvantage and cling to traditional chivalrous morals while they take advantage of acting freely. The night is full of terrors, grand Mogul. To refuse an advantage because it is considered "underhanded" is not only disrespectful to those you command, but it is also the most selfish act I can think of.