Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

New confirmed Mob

Space3045

Empty
Notch posted on his twitter:
Last weekend, I started working on a new mob because I was frustrated with the slow progress on some town code I was writing, and for some reason I decided to make yet another creepy one. It’s dark, it has long and narrow limbs, moves very slowly, and will pick up blocks and move them around. I wanted this to be a mob you only saw in the distance and a mob you’d be afraid of, but when I playtested it, it mostly felt like a regular zombie. There’s was a distinct mismatch between looking creepy and not actually playing creepy. When I made it move faster towards the player when attacking, and deal more damage, it got more difficult and I started respecting it, but it never felt creepy or scary.
So I thought some about what “creepy” actually is, and it’s more about trying to avoid something from happening than it is about actually having that thing happen. If you know something bad can happen if you do the wrong thing, you will start thinking about your actions, and that might make things more scary.
So I made it passive until you looked straight at it. And that was scary. Suddenly you could walk up to these looking beasts (they’re three meters tall) and watch them as they moved their blocks around, but as soon as you happened to look straight at them, they’d attack. And by “straight at them”, I mean putting the reticle on top of them. You can keep them visible on screen and actually look straight at them in real life, but as soon as your in game character looks straight at them, boom.
Still, that was more scary than creepy. It’s like a jump scare in a movie. You know it might happen at any time, and when it happens you freak out a bit. I wanted something a bit more psychological. So to really drive home the point of looking at them being bad, I made the Endermen freeze and turn towards you when you look at them. As long as you look straight at them, they stand perfectly still and look straight at you. As soon as you look away, they will run (very fast) towards you.
And they teleport. If they’re too far away to reach you in a short period of time, they will teleport about once per second. They try to make sure they always teleport to somewhere you can see, as I don’t want to confuse the player as to what is happening.
When they attack, you know it’s your fault. When you happen to look at one, you can keep looking at it to figure out how to deal with it, but you know it WILL reach you very fast once you stop looking at it.
And that, my friends, is creepy. Possibly too creepy.

Leontis

Villager
Oh crap... I hope they aren't as annoying as the skeletons. I hate it to fight against ranged mobs :(

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Oh crap... I hope they aren't as annoying as the skeletons. I hate it to fight against ranged mobs :(
If you are in the dark and then you cant see anything, these new ones will be worse and they are the colour of the darkness.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
This will be great. Going spelunking, searching a large cave system. *sees a bunch of glowing green eyes in the dark* *proceeds to crap pants*
This will also make a new interesting aspect of cave searching. If you see those glowing green eyes in a cave, you know if you stop looking at them you will most likely get hurt. However if you DONT stop looking then you risk being attacked by other mobs from the sides and behind, potentially forcing you to look away from the enderman(Possible name change to Farlander) and most likely dying.

Basically, we are all going to die, the Farlanders are coming!

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
That is if you see the eyes....
In a new released image of them, they have large glowing green eyes. They actually emit light, the ground they stand on, for now at least, has a light level of 1 due to their eyes.

P M

Loyal Servant of Altera
great idea for a mob imo. i imagine notch will have had the foresight to only allow them to move natural blocks.

Mar Tawok

Villager
This things are going to cost me months of sleep. I'm already nervous about what I can't see with my own eyes! D:

I just hope they can't teleport THROUGH things. Across open ground to cover distance is fine, but if you can't even escape in your own house, these guys aren't going to be any fun.

... What sorts of noises will they make?... If any?... *shudder*

SqueeGurl

Le Original Queen
Well, According to the wiki, Notch is not changing their name from Endermen. They don't ninja on you like them creepy angels, but if you put your pointer on them, they 'aggro' as soon as you take your little pointer off. That alone is creepy as hell.

I wonder if they mass enmity like the Pigmen. Pull one, and the rest follow... omg that would scare the crap out of me.

The kings would hear me scream on TS.

I'm sure Alpha and Steel would find that endlessly amusing.

iAMsuperJEW

Lord of Altera
Well, According to the wiki, Notch is not changing their name from Endermen. They don't ninja on you like them creepy angels, but if you put your pointer on them, they 'aggro' as soon as you take your little pointer off. That alone is creepy as hell.
Really, I was totally looking forward to having 3 block tall ninja cat monster things that try to kill you, but 3 block tall monsters that charge you is good too.

SqueeGurl

Le Original Queen
Really, I was totally looking forward to having 3 block tall ninja cat monster things that try to kill you, but 3 block tall monsters that charge you is good too.
According to his blog on it, he was going for the most creepy thing he could manage.

It's now like something out of amnesia. lol.

iAMsuperJEW

Lord of Altera
I'm just waiting for endermen to end up being notch's mother in law then :confused:
(wow I really just made a mother in law joke)