Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Nobility titles and manners.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Just been reading about this so I figured I'd post a little about it here as I found I quite interesting.

The five ranks of peerage.

Duke / Duchess.
The highest rank of nobility under the royal family.
Address as your grace.
Heir may use the title Marquess/Marchioness
Other children are granted the title of Lord/lady

Marquess/Marchioness
Addressed as Lord/Lady in speech
Heir may use the title Earl/Count/Countess
Younger children are granted the title of Lord/Lady

Earl / Count / Countess
(Earl and count are equivalent the difference being Earl was British, count was continental. There was no feminine for Earl hence Countess is used.)
Heir may use the title of Viscount
Younger children are addressed as The Honourable

Viscount / Vicountess
Adressed as Lord/Lady in speech
All children are addressed as The Honourable

Baron / Baroness
All children are addressed as The Honourable

Below the ranks of peerage there are titles such as Knight and Dame which are non hereditary titles which do not carry through your family.

Territorial designations were also often included in titles especially for Barons and Viscounts.
For example Baron Aetherson of Etheras, of House Cirrus, Royal Record Keeper.
Anything after the first comma is an additional title that is not part of the main Peerage title.

There's bound to be a buttload more to this but it would be cool to see people using this information especially in families and houses for assigning the correct titles to characters.

Hope everyone else found this interesting too.

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
Holy mother of nobility!
I cannot express how much I love you for making this, so instead I will post a picture!
Screaming.gif

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Y'know Im half expecting to log on tomorrow to find everyone using Duke as a title xD

Angryboy

Oh by the way, did you find any information on how/why these titles would be given?
I know its something to do with the land you own, but not certain. I think it would be awesome info to have!

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Hmm good point, to be fair the granting of the titles has changed over time, at one point it was based on land etc but I think Altera would have a slightly different system for them, something like contribution to Altera.

Angryboy

Hmm good point, to be fair the granting of the titles has changed over time, at one point it was based on land etc but I think Altera would have a slightly different system for them, something like contribution to Altera.

I suppose thats true. No system stays the same forever.
I think, considering we have a House system here; these would correspond to ranks in a House, perhaps?

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Yeah that's an internal house hierarchy though, this would be your title relevant to your peerage with the crown. Magnet uses sir which is for under peerage titles anyway, Baron is a correct peerage title which you are using so the same rules apply in terms of heirs and children titles and the way you are addressed in conversation which his what I really wanted to show people.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
I know not everyones going to use the same hierarchy and that the hierarchy means very little when people can choose whatever titles they like for the same price but I like the idea of people using the correct mannerisms and so forth to go with them ;P

Angryboy

Agreed, Spear.
I suppose its a sort of expectation, rather than a solid rule. We could try to encourage people to use the proper titles though, right? I mean, you will always get the idiots trying to be top-of-the-board with Duke titles and such without earning it, but this is a GOOD community, I'm sure most would follow this :)

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Yeah, im not imposing anything as a rule, hell Im not even going to expect this to be followed by most people but it'd add to the server if people do I reckon.

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
The way I've been playing it is the same as the Game of Thrones system, which is essentially Lords as Heads of Houses, the Queen referred to as your Grace, and other titles below the Lord title, I did know this was how it worked however ;)

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Viceroy is not a title of peerage, it is the title given to someone who leads a different country/colony/city in the name of monarch. Landgrave is at around same level as Count or Duke, and Archduke is pretty self-explanatory. I don't quite think Doux is even English...

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Viceroy is not a title of peerage, it is the title given to someone who leads a different country/colony/city in the name of monarch. Landgrave is at around same level as Count or Duke, and Archduke is pretty self-explanatory. I don't quite think Doux is even English...

Viceroy is still a vassal title, so it does applies.
Doux is the title given to main vassals in the old Byzantine Empire, which originated from the Roman Empire itself. The fall of the byzantine empire marked the end of the medieval ages in 1453, with the turkish victory at Constantinople (Byzantium).
Archduke is at a different rank from duke and has comparable power to a Viceroy. Archdukes were mainly used in the HRE (Holy Roman Empire), but there was also for a while a bunch of independent Archdukes mainly in eastern europe.
A Landgrave is a count-rank lord who holds sovereighty over more lands then the usual and that holds as much power as a duke.

And besides, did I say that those were whole new ranks? I don't think so...