Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Venturello family application [Approved - Lars]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am looking for a roleplaying server that can act as a 'home' for me and my kids. They always play Minecraft online with me (by themselves, always local). We have gone to creative servers but I want to intro them into a more 'real' roleplaying environment. Maybe after some time they can fend off by themselves but for now they will always log in with me. They're still quite young and their English is very, very basic. Anyway, read through the Wiki and this seems like a great community and server for what I am looking for. To be honest I want to first look through it myself (my main login), then would come onboard with them.

The kids may be young but they know their way around Minecraft. They can handle most mobs, have no problems with following rules. They know to mine, craft, know how to look for diamonds... and would love to have them 'live' in a world where there are rules. When on creative they know they can do any silly thing (bomb stuff, etc.). When we play roleplaying in our local server, no 'magic' conjuration of resources, and no silly things like this. I will be the first to enforce upon them a behavior according to the world/server we are visiting.

1. Your Minecraft username: Venturello. My sons: Venturello2 and MartinVenturello.
2. Your real name: Juan Miguel Venturello, Esteban and Martin.
3. Age:35, 7, 4 (5 soon).
4. Gender: Male
5. Country: Switzerland

6. Have you read the Tome of Citizenship or agree to do so before signing into Hollow World for the first time? Yes, the wiki rules page, as the Tome is outdated. As well if I start using the server as our online world, I will donate (I take it as an ethical thing to, especially now as an adult/with a job/etc., to pay/donate for things I am using online. So I am a Wikipedia donator, donate to the iOS jailbreak teams, etc.). Not saying that whitelist me because of this!

7. How do you feel about the 'roleplay' aspect of our server? Do you have any experience roleplaying? Love it. Yes. Not replaying in the traditional paper based sense but in computer games, most of my playing time is RPG's - from the Ultima series, started in Ultima 5, to Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc. Now enjoying Skyrim :)

8. Please introduce yourself to the community; explaining who you are, your interests / hobbies and why you are here in 8 sentences or more. Colombian expat family living in Switzerland. Father of 3 kids, 7, 4 and 2. Computer lover, Minecraft fanatic since alpha, playing Minecraft is one of the activities I enjoy most with my children. Saturday is Esteban's birthday and guess what the theme of his cake will be - Minecraft. They keep asking me about new updates, trying mods, etc, and I want to give them now the experience of a server. Personally, technology, motorcycles and well, not much time for hobbies besides the family :) I am a manager in the medical devices industry.

9. If you have examples of your work please attached them to this post using the "upload a file" button or link to the image or video. No, and if we build, it will be simple stuff (what a kid 7 year old can do). We build things together - so guided by me, they are more aesthetic and keep to a motif (castle, etc.), what they build by themselves, it's up to their imagination!

10. Is there anything else you wish to share with us? Not really. Just ask!
11. Are you aware that the use of black magic (xray,xray texture packs and ore locator mods) is not allowed on our server, and a banishable offense? Absolutely not.

12. How did you find out about our server? Minecraft Servers List.

13. Have you voted for us? (Click Here) Let me try it and I will.

S

Stevey

An excellent application and based on that I must approve it :) However there are some concerns.

Personally I feel it should be alright if you are there with them when they play the game. We are strict on profanity in the game itself (though a bit less on our teamspeak server). The vast majority of our playerbase is friendly and willing to help so I'm confident there would not be any problems that arise with his. I will however take this up with the rest of the team first.

Hi ikbenlars, thanks for your reply. Let me answer your concern - they cannot read fluently, nor speak English. Esteban, 7, can read veeeery slowly in Spanish or German. He is going this summer to an English camp, taking lessons, etc. to learn but will take time.

And to be honest (or if you prefer, I can promise this) I would not let them come into a large, semi public server (even a friendly community) for at least a few years (no idea until when... 12, 14?). They are still very young. This will be with me. We run our own private server for our sessions but thinking about it, you are correct - they're still quite young. They can't understand the chats at this moment but they will (Esteban, our oldest) I hope by year's end, understand enough. So my commitment is, their time online will be only with me along. As I stated, over half of their playing time we play together, and when I am not around, they already understand it's under different rules.

About being 'griefed' or attacked by other players, I am ok with this. I will explain which are the safe zones. It's part of adventure. It's part of learning for me. When I adventure with them, and they fall into a lava pit, they know the price to pay (they loose their loot, etc.) and they can react badly - crying for a few minutes, pissed off, etc. But that's part of the game and of life. So if we go into a server, enter a PVP zone, are attacked... for me it's just part of the experience, will do my best to defend ourselves but if we are killed... that's the game, isn't it?

This is an experiment, I am also unsure how it will go, how enjoyable we will find it. Might be that after logging in a few sessions they will not like it enough to keep going.

Here, one of our little towns where each of us have built a 'house'. Can post later pictures of more proper structures (hilltop castle, etc). This was built legit btw :) And as an example of that they know the game and can build by themselves following rules (here it was, all legit and only withing your building lot). The treehouse is mine. http://imgur.com/a/T78AJ

Also Martin, the 4 year old, I don't expect him to join us as much. Esteban and me: 1. spend more time together - Friday's afternoon for example - playing and 2. Martin many times, when Esteban and me are doing more objective oriented adventuring, etc., prefers to play elsewhere (another location on our server or his own worlds) fooling around. Again, an experiment, so we'll see!

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
First time I have ever seen anything like this in my short life.

I love the fact you play Minecraft as a family (wish my family did this!) but something that concerns me slightly is that both of your children are young and (as you said previously) not very fluent in English. I'm worried this might impact or limit the roleplay that you can engage in.

Also, is there ever any time when the kids play Minecraft without you? I'm worried that without your guidance something may go wrong, such as the trying out of mods and the like.

S

Stevey

First time I have ever seen anything like this in my short life.

I love the fact you play Minecraft as a family (wish my family did this!) but something that concerns me slightly is that both of your children are young and (as you said previously) not very fluent in English. I'm worried this might impact or limit the roleplay that you can engage in.

Also, is there ever any time when the kids play Minecraft without you? I'm worried that without your guidance something may go wrong, such as the trying out of mods and the like.
I think that's what hes trying to say - they only play when hes around with them.

Royo_Royal

Loyal Servant of Altera
if i can have an word in this .

1 if they follow him around and play with their dad i think this good

2 if they play here they learn english faster (thats how i learn my english playing games)

3 about the Rp Lars and itzza think about it . they are age of 7 and 4 (soon 5 ) think what good Rp they can when they are some years playing here !

over all i would like to see this family play here

they learn english

and we have much more fun!

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
I was one to think ESRB ratings didnt apply when you are with an adult, like when buying games, films or going to the cinema.

S

Stevey

Yes, but we decline people for being under 13 becuase we use ESRB ratings. If we accept them then that would be giving them special treatment, if a 10 year old see this application got accepted they may rage or demand they get accepted too. If we decline them then they will claim we are giving them unfair treatment.

There is nothing wrong with your application and you are sure to get accepted, but bringing your sons i say should not go. We cant just second guess our own rules we put in place...
What part of taking it up with the rest of the team didn't you get? I'm not even sure it applies when a parent is supervising.

OlafStronghammer

Lord of Altera
Hello Jaun and welcome, can i just make the suggestion that your sons RP as your sons / children in game too. This will take a lot of the pressure off them and allow you to take the lead. It will also benefit others who meet you in knowing how to treat them.

Regards Olaf

Thanks Serrino and the others for the welcome :)

Olaf, what did you mean by RP here:

can i just make the suggestion that your sons RP as your sons / children in game too
??

They will only play on the server with me. Right now they are playing next to me, each on their local computer, destroying a map with the 'More Explosives' mod I installed.

It's not a chance to learn English. The the text scrolls too fast for them - they read too slow.

Yesterday we logged in some of the huge, crowded, hyper servers out there. Disorganized, many many people. This was my oldest child. He didn't like it very much. So again guys, this is an experiment so to say, I have to find a way to make it attractive/interesting for them. Will log in initially myself to get a feel for the server, learn the commands, etc. Then with the kids. Might be we log in weekly, might be we don't come back. Will let you know how it goes and respect our rules.

We play around. I am a very commited father, I think it is soooo important to spend time with them this young. In minecraft I spend maybe 5 hours weekly, beyond that, much more - playing board games, reading, going out for rides, pool. etc. Being with kids this young as an adult takes a lot of patience, dedication... it is difficult very often as you are tired from your work, worried about your adult life troubles, etc. I guess most of you are much younger than me, but someone told me years ago (before having kids) a couple of things I remember often. 1. being a father, and your family, are the only things in life that no one can take away, that are truly yours (what you make of them), etc., there is no responsability like being a father (anything else, a mortgage, wife, etc, you can turn your back on). and very important, 2. you have 10 years with your sons to truly build a bond. The first ten years, after that, their childhood is gone. Forever. So they know they can trust you, in good and bad times, that you are fun, etc. After they are 10 (or so) kids go their way, you are no longer 'all knowing'. After that age, keep it fun - do fun things for their age. Right now I am building 2000+ pieces Lego Techniks with them, I am very eager they are older to do remote control stuff (planes, cars), go on cool things (for a teenager) like mountain climbing or whatever they find cool. Well, that's my hope, I hope they can find me a good parent and will also give them space. Anyway...

Anyway, sorry for the rant :) Minecraft play time is limited to 1 or 2 hours per day, today we played our share before I checked the forum and tomorrow we might not have time as we are heading out. But thanks again!

S

Stevey

I think what meant was that when you are on the server with your sons and you roleplay that they are your sons ingame too. I find the way you treat your children admirable. Also I think there are a fair few people on our server that are around your age.

frank frappuccino

Lord of Altera
I think Olaf means that since all players on the server has a background story to the carecter they are in game and then they can rp wise be your sons then there would be a reason to them following you around on the server or you could form a "guild" that you all are in or come up with something on your own that fits with your sons stikking to you in game

OlafStronghammer

Lord of Altera
Aye pretty much what Frank and Lars said. From the sounds of it though you don't think they will be taking part in RP as their English is not quite there yet. So it would be you that RP's this not them but still the same idea.
Its only a suggestion of course it is entirely up to you how you go about this and I'm sure you are more than capable as it sounds like you have already given this much thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.