Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

War Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hshotwell

Lord of Altera
For war one will outsiders be alowed to interfere? After all the chalenge is taming the southern wilds, and you can't do that without having to deal with some of the bandits that dwell there.

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
I think with the Wars in player's towns, or any war where we agree on the weapons...
We should choose whether to have enderpearls or not, and then make them similar to the potions in that only an Alchemist can use them.

Also what about Alchemists training soldiers to use potions? It isn't very hard to pull the cork out and throw it, is it? Even an idiot can learn that easily :p

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
I think with the Wars in player's towns, or any war where we agree on the weapons...
We should choose whether to have enderpearls or not, and then make them similar to the potions in that only an Alchemist can use them.

Also what about Alchemists training soldiers to use potions? It isn't very hard to pull the cork out and throw it, is it? Even an idiot can learn that easily :p
Enderpearls can be used when we say it, and splash potions can only be used by Alchemists, this is mainly to balance the battle a bit.

Angryboy

Enderpearls can be used when we say it
Fair enough.

splash potions can only be used by Alchemists, this is mainly to balance the battle a bit.
I understand the balancing part, but in roleplay terms I imagine a splash potion would be quite easy to use.

The way I see it, potions are a tool of war, just like bows and swords. If the House takes the time and resources needed to make the potions, surely they should be allowed, right?
I mean if a small House is capable of making them, so can a big House. It all comes down to preferences really.

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
Because certain potions can kill a person with awesome armor easily (since the effect ignores armor), add splash to that, and one person can practically murder 30 persons with a few potions.

Angryboy

Splash is actually needed to throw the potion in the first place. I don't think the effect spreads quite that far... And if a unit is stupid enough to be that close to each other then they really do deserve to die anyways.

I do not. Please explain.
Like Kvothe said, it ignores armour, meaning anybody with a potion can kill easily and at range.

Because certain potions can kill a person with awesome armor easily
The thing with potions is that they first of require a LOT of netherwarts to make the potions in the first place (Any kind of potion), to make them throwable requires gunpowder, which isn't easy to get considering you have to fight creepers for it.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that potions that have a meaningful effect do in fact require a lot of resources, some of which are quite difficult to get.

Spark

Broken
Splash is actually needed to throw the potion in the first place. I don't think the effect spreads quite that far... And if a unit is stupid enough to be that close to each other then they really do deserve to die anyways.

Like Kvothe said, it ignores armour, meaning anybody with a potion can kill easily and at range.

The thing with potions is that they first of require a LOT of netherwarts to make the potions in the first place (Any kind of potion), to make them throwable requires gunpowder, which isn't easy to get considering you have to fight creepers for it.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that potions that have a meaningful effect do in fact require a lot of resources, some of which are quite difficult to get.
Netherwart is like the easiest thing to farm....if you have trouble killing creepers then you have no chance against another player. Spiders eyes, mushrooms and sugar are very easy to obtain. Potion making is incredibly easy.

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff

My reaction to that is
Netherwart is like the easiest thing to farm....if you have trouble killing creepers then you have no chance against another player. Spiders eyes, mushrooms and sugar are very easy to obtain. Potion making is incredibly easy.
That ^.

Angryboy

I meant if you try to get Netherwart on the server... Last time I tried getting to the Nether, I got swarmed with very angry Pigmen and Ghasts almost instantly. Once you have the wart and some netherrack, it's easy to grow...

As for the gunpowder, I meant finding creepers... Plus killing them without them blowing up. Getting a sufficient amount of gunpowder for making that many potions would be time consuming and people would eventually just give up.

As for the more powerful potions, you need gold for healing potions, which in itself requires a fair bit of mining to do. Corrupted effects (More powerful harming potions and such) require fermented spider eyes, and who has the time to wait around for the mushrooms to grow?

Okay yeah, some of them are easy to get, but it all requires time and/or fighting/mining.
Any decent-quality potion requires effort to be made.

Angryboy

Put it this way, it takes effort to make potions. Plus the gathering of many different kinds of resources in different places means that potions take some time to prepare.

Disagree if you want but I think the effort required to make a potion outweighs the overpowered-ness of them.
It's like waiting ten years to get a god-tier sword.

Spark

Broken
Ok, netherrack, less than 20r each. Mushrooms, everywhere in the nether, pigmen drop gold, creepers, 3 hits with a diamond sword.

Angryboy

Ok, netherrack, less than 20r each. Mushrooms, everywhere in the nether, pigmen drop gold, creepers, 3 hits with a diamond sword.
Curse you.

But like I said, you get swarmed quickly in the nether (Unless it's changed since I went in last).

Spark

Broken
angryboy2k12 said:
Curse you.

But like I said, you get swarmed quickly in the nether (Unless it's changed since I went in last).
If you can't fight off pigmen, good luck in the game of crowns, black moon events are good for nether items.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
So don't go to the nether; I never did.

Mushrooms are also remarkably common in swamps and caves, so no need to go to the nether for them.

It takes such minute amounts of gold to craft potions that one trip to the Hollows will supply you with more than enough for a week, maybe a month depending on the time you spend mining.

Nether Stalk is remarkably easy to grow. I've collected seven stacks, now, from just two plants.

Gunpowder can sometimes be difficult to track down, but it's not hard to get it once you see it.

And why are we debating the resources, anyways? Potions use so few resources to brew it's not even funny.

Angryboy

(you're meant to be on my side here Sinclair!)

If you can't fight off pigmen, good luck in the game of crowns, black moon events are good for nether items.
I can hold off pigmen... But when you get huge numbers of them attacking you as soon as you enter and with no time to prepare, THAT isn't fair.

In the Game of Crowns we'll have time to prepare, plus we will have plenty of allies by our sides.

hshotwell

Lord of Altera
Seems counter intuitave if they are trying to gain control of the wilds, oh well, we'll just fight the winners later.

Status
Not open for further replies.