Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

What's In a Faction?

What makes a faction successful and desirable to join?

• Total voters

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
We've had a lot of factions over the years. When I say factions, I don't necessarily mean kingdoms. I mean kingdoms, organizations, or any sort of group that has the potential to attract players. Marr, Anhald, Lavoyarde, the Blood Serpents, the Hospitallers.

Something said in the Server Inactivity thread made me wonder. According to our players now, what makes a good faction? What makes it desirable to want to join and why? What defines a group's success? What makes you want to join or create a character for that group, from a player perspective?

And before this thread goes any further, I have to say that I am not creating this to invite players to take a shit on a group. Because I know you guys are going to be tempted to run some groups through the dirt. That is NOT what this is for and I will just delete this thread if people use it as a platform to be petty and snide. This thread is for discussion on what kind of groups players want to join in this current server environment. This is a discussion of what types of RP groups we currently enjoy.

When our server is so fractured into so many different small cliques, it's possibly worth considering what will bring our roleplay together into the same vicinity.

Vote. Discuss. Go forth and debate. Tell me what makes the Greats great.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
May we vote multiples as allowed? I view a lot of those as a constant to a good nation.

Firegirl

Lord of Altera
Explaining why I voted:

Alright, to me, the first four don't really matter. I know some people will say different things. But having big events, a big nation, and lots of roleplay don't really count if not everybody's included. There are some kingdoms more heavily fouced on Nobility-like Anheld and Lavoyard, but Cap still recognizes that without the peasents and what-not, their would be no kindgom for him to run. (I'm using that example because Lavoyard/Anheld is a large massive kingdom).

The next one matters to me quite a bit. It's honestly pretty boring being stuck in one group, where you can't really move up unless by birth, or some mirical.

Groups who allow everybody to join is also pretty cool. But then again, it's alright having a faction/group/organzation that only allows a certain race. Doesn't mean the RP will be limited, just a little...meh.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
It's Anhald not Anheld.

I wish there were peasants, but not many people like to RP them. My plan for an alt when Peter finally died was going to be a peasant living in Thorne or Ackerland or Marienburg, but that had to change. The only reason we're focused on the nobility is because everyone RPs nobility, or RP peasants and become nobility once they realize peasants aren't their style of RP. Peter himself wasn't even a knight when I started him, but it's in his character to pursue power and I stumbled across some good opportunities to seize that power.

As for Niah's original question about what makes a faction good, it comes down to two things IMHO. First is 'do you have a reason to continue existing as a faction'. You need something to drive you. For Anhald, it's our goals. We want to be the best. For Marr, before they left the server, it was their community. Second is 'who is part of the faction'. We all pretend to get along but if we're being completely honest, half the server all hate each other and the other half have at least one or two people they strongly dislike. You need to be with your buddies, the people you get along with, for a faction to be successful. Take the Coalition as an example of what NOT to do. (Glados hey)

Last edited:

Etow

Lord of Altera
From experience, it is often also about numbers. Often cities/faction survive live best because they have a lot of active peoples. Even if the city itself is not extremely beautiful or harbors best RP, if there are many peoples living there and actively playing.. then a community will thrive. Of course to survive it will need structure, may it be in leadership or how the city is build.. many time ive seen un organised cities that just grew grew and grew.. with more and more abandonned houses.. districts.. until city is so huge and empty that.. well it dies..

So RP, will , goal, a nice scenary are important factors. but it all comes down to numbers. a nation that succeds, is a nation that has a central nerve center, so a large city. I have never or rarely seen villages survive a long time... often the succesfull nations had one large city working perfectly. and around them smaller outpost.. just used to claim land but rarely very active centers of RP.

Hollowworld is the first server I really played on without any big central cities, factions do work.. but do seem to have a hard time compared to others ive seen. So yeah to me a succesfull faction is one that can draw a lrger number of people together, and that has one large city around which the entire faction life turns around.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
For me, I have admired the following factions for the following reasons. (I'm also listing factions that are not around anymore so as not to diss or play favorites with current factions)

- The Blood Serpents (godfather1 BrianAT16 Azur Sophe Raith )
They were generally a nice group OOCly. Players were swell guys. ICly, they had a hierachy system that allowed for moving up. Defined goals. They were bandits, yes. But they were a bandit cult that did sacrifices for reasons, etc. They had a direction. They created RP for people within the group and for people outside the group. Until... well, it happened and the group was disbanded. But still, until it fell apart, I loved the concept and the modus operandi of the group. It was an antagonistic group that did really well for a while. Had something like 7 or 8 in it at one point and I would have had Erikor grow up in the group had things not gone south.

- Lavoyarde during the Valonyx era
This was amazing: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/the-great-game.31722/
At the time, I wasn't anywhere near Lavoyarde and never made a character that got involved with them because, at the time, my IRL social anxieties bled into online self and I was too afraid of joining a big group like that. But if I could go back, I would have gotten involved in some way. As a servant, farmer, or something. That group was massively successful. They had the might and influence to go to war, yes. But they were so big that you could easily find RP within. Political intrigue was rife. It was also a faction that created RP on a global scale.

-The Inquisition (Lannis )
I know a lot of people really, really hated the inquisition that came in the post-ValonyxLavo/pre-Anhald era, but I thought it was a really great group for providing RP. It wasn't on a entire kingdom full-on war scale, which I liked. It was on an individual scale, and I thought seeing Jaqueline and posse going on heretic hunts was entertaining from an OOC standpoint. ICly, Aracena at the time was not okay with them. But OOCly I liked it. But.. judging by how it turned out, I was in a minority. But I liked it because it was quality RP, had a clear and define goal, and provided RP for the server as a whole.

-Oh, and the Slavers (Landem )
Some of my favorite RP, really. I can wax and wane about how much I loved this. Global RP. Sign ups so that people who wanted in on one side or the other could, and those who didn't want to be bothered wouldn't be. A sense of urgency in RP as people are concerned about this ring of abductions, etc. Well organized. Swell people running it OOCly.

It's Anhald not Anheld.

I wish there were peasants, but not many people like to RP them. My plan for an alt when Peter finally died was going to be a peasant living in Thorne or Ackerland or Marienburg, but that had to change. The only reason we're focused on the nobility is because everyone RPs nobility, or RP peasants and become nobility once they realize peasants aren't their style of RP. Peter himself wasn't even a knight when I started him, but it's in his character to pursue power and I stumbled across some good opportunities to seize that power.

As for Niah's original question about what makes a faction good, it comes down to two things IMHO. First is 'do you have a reason to continue existing as a faction'. You need something to drive you. For Anhald, it's our goals. We want to be the best. For Marr, before the left the server, it was their community. Second is 'who is part of the faction'. We all pretend to get along but if we're being completely honest, half the server all hate eachother and the other half have at least one or two people they strongly dislike. You need to be with your buddies, the people you get along with, for a faction to be successful. Take the Coalition as an example of what NOT to do. (Glados hey)
I honestly thought about putting in the option of, "The group contains OOC friends," but I didn't think about that till after the poll was already made. You do have a strong point and I wish I'd thought about it before I made the poll.

From experience, it is often also about numbers. Often cities/faction survive live best because they have a lot of active peoples. Even if the city itself is not extremely beautiful or harbors best RP, if there are many peoples living there and actively playing.. then a community will thrive. Of course to survive it will need structure, may it be in leadership or how the city is build.. many time ive seen un organised cities that just grew grew and grew.. with more and more abandonned houses.. districts.. until city is so huge and empty that.. well it dies..

So RP, will , goal, a nice scenary are important factors. but it all comes down to numbers. a nation that succeds, is a nation that has a central nerve center, so a large city. I have never or rarely seen villages survive a long time... often the succesfull nations had one large city working perfectly. and around them smaller outpost.. just used to claim land but rarely very active centers of RP.

Hollowworld is the first server I really played on without any big central cities, factions do work.. but do seem to have a hard time compared to others ive seen. So yeah to me a succesfull faction is one that can draw a lrger number of people together, and that has one large city around which the entire faction life turns around.
Indeed. I didn't include numbers, because I felt that having numbers was a given. A faction without numbers is not really successful. But it is a huge factor indeed.

Last edited:

Charybdis

Screaming Cat
Pronouns
They/Them
- The Blood Serpents (godfather1 BrianAT16 Azur Sophe Raith )
They were generally a nice group OOCly. Players were swell guys. ICly, they had a hierachy system that allowed for moving up. Defined goals. They were bandits, yes. But they were a bandit cult that did sacrifices for reasons, etc. They had a direction. They created RP for people within the group and for people outside the group. Until... well, it happened and the group was disbanded. But still, until it fell apart, I loved the concept and the modus operandi of the group. It was an antagonistic group that did really well for a while. Had something like 7 or 8 in it at one point and I would have had Erikor grow up in the group had things not gone south.

- Lavoyarde during the Valonyx era
This was amazing: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/the-great-game.31722/
At the time, I wasn't anywhere near Lavoyarde and never made a character that got involved with them because, at the time, my IRL social anxieties bled into online self and I was too afraid of joining a big group like that. But if I could go back, I would have gotten involved in some way. As a servant, farmer, or something. That group was massively successful. They had the might and influence to go to war, yes. But they were so big that you could easily find RP within. Political intrigue was rife. It was also a faction that created RP on a global scale.

I know a lot of people really, really hated the inquisition that came in the post-ValonyxLavo/pre-Anhald era, but I thought it was a really great group for providing RP. It wasn't on a entire kingdom full-on war scale, which I liked. It was on an individual scale, and I thought seeing Jaqueline and posse going on heretic hunts was entertaining from an OOC standpoint. ICly, Aracena at the time was not okay with them. But OOCly I liked it. But.. judging by how it turned out, I was in a minority. But I liked it because it was quality RP, had a clear and define goal, and provided RP for the server as a whole.
these are the things i'm forever sad i missed

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Dwarves digging out the shaft of Thraall together, making jokes over local chat, joining events or RP's together as a group of Dwarves, to mingle in politics of others and be seen as a faction to be reckoned with and who people like to ally with.
That was the best time of my RP-life. That, and the Game of Crowns which made all exisiting houses band together in the end into only two factions warring each other in controlled mini-games / pvp events. It was even important who could supply what goods. That was immersive and fun to be a part of.

JoeJoe

Yeehonk
Mystic
Retired Staff
JoJoJoeJoe
JoJoJoeJoe
Mystic
I think activity and quality Role-play are the most important things

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
From what I've seen, unless the leader or leaders stay active and helps in the guiding they don't work out. Without active leadership nothing really happens. It is why the hospitalers fell apart after Archaeus dissapeared despite having an active base beforehand.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
That was an Anhald project.

Anyways. To me there needs to be something you aspire to OOC as a group. I've never quite met anyone as loyal as the chuckleheads I've worked with for the past year on Anhald and I've never felt like another faction had that - Yeah, we love to RP, but being able to work together to accomplish something gave us a drive to compete and to do the OOC things required to upkeep a faction. Having chosen to kill Edmund off, I'm pretty much done taking an immediate leading role in Anhald, but I'm confident they can get along just fine.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
It's Anhald not Anheld.

As for Niah's original question about what makes a faction good, it comes down to two things IMHO. First is 'do you have a reason to continue existing as a faction'. You need something to drive you. For Anhald, it's our goals. We want to be the best. For Marr, before they left the server, it was their community. Second is 'who is part of the faction'. We all pretend to get along but if we're being completely honest, half the server all hate each other and the other half have at least one or two people they strongly dislike. You need to be with your buddies, the people you get along with, for a faction to be successful. Take the Coalition as an example of what NOT to do. (Glados hey)
(i never hated anyone i was just mad lol)

(but the OOC resentment in the coalition is something i regret)

(especially because some people took it personally that I started playing an Anhalder when I phased Archaeus out)

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Ah, my bad. I thought it came from the Empress Valerie era, before it was Anhald. My timelines are bad.
No worries. Charles I made it so he could abuse religion to grow a bigger force (and I abused it to get outside players interested in RPing with us). It was fun.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I think all the above things make a faction. Though I think what is needed most is someone that has a charisma to draw folks to them in leadership role. Marr had Tybalt, Lavoyarde had Val, Anhald has had the dual roles of Rygan and Cap. Love or hate any of these folks but they draw folks and create things. When the leader of the first two factions left or were banned the whole faction left or fell apart.

Landem

Lord of Altera
-Oh, and the Slavers (Landem )
Some of my favorite RP, really. I can wax and wane about how much I loved this. Global RP. Sign ups so that people who wanted in on one side or the other could, and those who didn't want to be bothered wouldn't be. A sense of urgency in RP as people are concerned about this ring of abductions, etc. Well organized. Swell people running it OOCly.
I'm glad people still remember this :heart: