Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Alignment issues

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
wait...more radical groups?.......not enough?.....are we playing on the same server? <.<
*More radical groups that actually work and do something that changes the face of Altera, instead of being on the forum and having two or three members.

Menel

Carpet Monkey
*More radical groups that actually work and do something that changes the face of Altera, instead of being on the forum and having two or three members.

i discovered 5 mayor conspiracy-thingys last week, all of them active. i won't say who and what but to be honest, for me it seems like there is too much action going on. ;)

if you want to see them doing their work then search for them ;) the good organisations won't state their business in the forums or walk around in daylight ;) it took me a few months to see behind the act of some of them and only because i concentrated to do so.

no realy, activity is enough, belive me. and there are massive fghts going on behind the scenes. that it is not public and everything looks fine simply means they are not ready to reveal themselfs and/or the 'good guys' still manage to delay them.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Yeah the church are pretty much in the same position as we seem to be the target for a lot of things.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
i discovered 5 mayor conspiracy-thingys last week, all of them active. i won't say who and what but to be honest, for me it seems like there is too much action going on. ;)

if you want to see them doing their work then search for them ;) the good organisations won't state their business in the forums or walk around in daylight ;) it took me a few months to see behind the act of some of them and only because i concentrated to do so.

no realy, activity is enough, belive me. and there are massive fghts going on behind the scenes. that it is not public and everything looks fine simply means they are not ready to reveal themselfs and/or the 'good guys' still manage to delay them.
As much as I believe ya, menel, i saw many, many more plots unveil and much much more battles then ya did, im an ol' Alteran chump. I can tell you that you wouldve loved when the Golden Crusade and the Cult were skirmishing, when the good ol' Bandit Lord Deadpress was wreaking havoc on all of Altera (And he was a lot more scarier then our current bandit leader...), and when battles were fought at the Gypsy Camp (does this place still exists?) for the actual survival of Altera.

THOSE were successful and mighty organisations, who couldve raided towns if they wanted, decided to influence whole houses and be talked about everywhere. That was the time of Great Heroes.

*Goes back to his rocking chair, playing with his beard*

Spark

Broken
Valonyx said:
As much as I believe ya, menel, i saw many, many more plots unveil and much much more battles then ya did, im an ol' Alteran chump. I can tell you that you wouldve loved when the Golden Crusade and the Cult were skirmishing, when the good ol' Bandit Lord Deadpress was wreaking havoc on all of Altera (And he was a lot more scarier then our current bandit leader...), and when battles were fought at the Gypsy Camp (does this place still exists?) for the actual survival of Altera.
The cult and crusade....nothing actually happened :p it was more the slayers and vyres

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
The cult and crusade....nothing actually happened :p it was more the slayers and vyres
No, stuff happened spark, a LOT of RP (mixed with damn hate) happened, many meetings, joint fights, the union of organizations agaisnt the bandits at Fort Cobblefist...

And more stuff wouldve happened if you had more then 3 members, compared to our 25-30... ;)

Spark

Broken
Valonyx said:
No, stuff happened spark, a LOT of RP (mixed with damn hate) happened, many meetings, joint fights, the union of organizations agaisnt the bandits at Fort Cobblefist...
Being the co-leader of said cult that only ever had 3 members, I have to disagree. However the union of organisations was Lonmar, Yearnen, 1 Arduin member, yourself and a few other randomers.. :p

Menel

Carpet Monkey

THOSE were successful and mighty organisations, who couldve raided towns if they wanted, decided to influence whole houses and be talked about everywhere. That was the time of Great Heroes.

*Goes back to his rocking chair, playing with his beard*

you just described my last weekend...realy......

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Arduin existed at the time? =o
Arduin has been around for a while. Long before I even joined, I do believe >_>

Spear, I love this so hard. I know there's (hopefully) Evil people in the Crown, and this just captures the alignments so accurately it makes me squeeee~

W

wakerman4

Come a new laptop, my char. will be the defination of evil....
...now that I know what it is!!!
Good one, spear head!

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Unfortunately this line of thinking is incorrect. Your last "alignment" is actually more "affiliation." In fact, your whole setup has some issues. Let's break traditional DnD alignment down, and start from there, shall we?

Good - Neutral - Evil
To put this very simply, the Good/Evil axis of the alignment table represents your character's selfishness and self-worth when compared to other people. A good alignment will have a player lean more toward caring about other people's feelings, well-being, and life. An evil alignment is obviously the opposite, seeing other peoplve as victims or tools or toys to be used and abused at whim.

Lawful - Neutral - Chaotic
This side of the scale determines how closely your character holds ideals of tradition, the status quo, social etiquette, the accepted power structure and authority, and a number of other smaller related topics. It also shows a tendency toward acting more often based on logic or emotion. A lawful person will generally respect the social order and traditions of the land, and generally think before acting, and a chaotic person will generally do the opposite.

of course, in both cases there can be exceptions, and is why people are generally more neutral than any of the extremes.

And of course, these alignments are NOT tied to any organization. You can certainly be a Lawful Good character, and yet be against both the silvercloaks and the church. I'll write this character up right now as an example.

Sir Wrothgar Stonejaw of house Lonmar.
He is a great man. He cares for the poor, defends his people against bandits, rapists, and other loathsome types. He gives half of his stipend to orphanages across altera. No man could question his goodness. He also is a fierce traditionalist. He is loyal to his house, and has always respected those above him in authority. An upstanding Lawful member of society.

However, Sir Stonejaw senses something... something wrong about what is happening in the church. How can he uphold an organization wherein nearly a third (if the big three are believed to have about equal followers) of the people in it condone raping, pillaging, slavery and wanton slaughter of innocent people? It goes against his very nature. So he plans to bring the church to justice, and remove those who would preach terror and destruction. At the same time, perhaps Sir Stonejaw thinks the recent change in power on the silver throne was actually a plot by the church to try and control altera. The whole event happened because a "god" stepped down and simply said so. It's not a huge leap of thought for someone who already despises the church to think the whole thing some sort of controversy.

So there you have it, a Lawful Good knight, but yet directly opposed to both the church and the crown. Now, just because he is against them doesn't mean he would attack these parties on sight. In fact, were he prone to that kind of action he would be more chaotic. He'd probably use the traditional methods he knows of, like diplomacy with other people of power, and try to create a coalition to bring about change, resulting to violence only if it was the only way he (and people he pulled together) could see of bringing about good change to the world.

Of course, you can go the other way, and have a chaotic evil character that is for the crown and church, because he's using them for his own goals. He could even be in the silvercloaks, and he bullies and threatens people for the fun of it. I say all this to say you can't claim an alignment for an organization. Sure, it would make sense that all the pirates of the cove are chaotic and evil, but as I've already shown, you can make a logical exception to pretty much any group.

Finally, I'm going to address the illogical final "alignment."

Fighting for or against grief is like fighting for or against any other group of people. If we're going to list grief affiliation, then we would have to list out every single house and organization on the server and your affiliation with them. Though I will say there is something special about fighting for grief, which is that by the definition of the alignments you could not be good aligned, and you would more than likely also lean chaotic as well. However, you could be chaotic evil and not follow grief. Just the same as you could be a part of any other group.

In short, Alignments do not equal organization affiliations. Organization affiliation doesn't equal a new alignment. The alignment scale determines your general attitude toward other people and tradition/social structure/ect.