Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Update on Lore - July 2015

Raith

Lord of Altera
it is very good to know that we aren't left in the dark about most of these things.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Am I the only one who is content with low-to-no levels of magic? I appreciate the re-working but magic always throws a metaphysical wrench into the balance of power in any political or combat RP.

Maybe... maybe I'm alone in this thought process?

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Am I the only one who is content with low-to-no levels of magic? I appreciate the re-working but magic always throws a metaphysical wrench into the balance of power in any political or combat RP.

Currently I feel like Hollowworld is a low to mid fantasy server. The only fantastic elements we really have are some extra races, but they don't function any differently than human races. We have some funny languages, but that isn't really very fantastical.
I for one welcome our new Magi Overlords and their fantastical powers!

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Currently I feel like Hollowworld is a low to mid fantasy server. The only fantastic elements we really have are some extra races, but they don't function any differently than human races. We have some funny languages, but that isn't really very fantastical.
I for one welcome our new Magi Overlords and their fantastical powers!
But that's my point, I like the low-mid fantasy. I'd be for anything that really started to make the races a bit different from one other just so we can have interactions other than "oh I'm a dwarf". But magic opens the gateway for a whole slew of problems. Even tightly managed, magic can easily be abused.

I realize I'm in the minority here (har har dwarf), but I'm still not convinced it's needed.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
But that's my point, I like the low-mid fantasy. I'd be for anything that really started to make the races a bit different from one other just so we can have interactions other than "oh I'm a dwarf". But magic opens the gateway for a whole slew of problems. Even tightly managed, magic can easily be abused.

I realize I'm in the minority here (har har dwarf), but I'm still not convinced it's needed.
I agree with you and back the Rework 50/50
Yes, people can abuse it, but they can abuse everything with powergaming.
But I do think a rework is needed because currently the only people that know magic are VERY hermit-like; they don't talk with others alot, keep to themselves and above all they don't spread the magic. (Though, I don't think its good for the server if alot of people know Magic)
So I think the rework is good, as long as it's "supervised" so it doesn't go towards Team Powergaming.

Raith

Lord of Altera

if anyone abuses the magic, you can report them fairly easily. if we're going with the same system with what spells a person knows they will more than likely have a thread set up to where anyone can view them. if you believe they are using a spell that is beyond their ability, check the thread first, and then report them to staff if they did abuse it

Teeke

Lord of Altera
if anyone abuses the magic, you can report them fairly easily. if we're going with the same system with what spells a person knows they will more than likely have a thread set up to where anyone can view them. if you believe they are using a spell that is beyond their ability, check the thread first, and then report them to staff if they did abuse it
Mmm yes, I remember that subforum. It's a shame like no one ever got onto it ;_;

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Mahõ Mahõ ?
Aladdin_anime1.png

Mahõ!

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I see the use of magic as no different then the folks who spend all their time for in depth combat RP. Let me explain, "throws a wrench" in the balance of things. The same as having guys in full plate walking around all the time as we have now. Just last week we had a guy stroll into Zima in plate armor (Zima is generally agreed to being super hot and humid seeing as it's one of the more southern places and same latitude as our deserts) yet to my knowledge the guy didn't even emote sweating. While everyone else In the room is in loose clothing to keep from dying of heatstroke.

The balance of power is upset when normal players encounter such folks. Also combat RP has its own barrier to entry as you have to be willing to do tons of OOC research into weapons and armor. So you either bend and take your free time and do this or you just sigh and try not to get in fights so you don't just have him roll over and die out of frustration. Another OOC barrier is as one combat RPer stated it can take hours. I have about 4 hours to play this game tops a day sometimes less. I'm not the only one with this problem, so we've got better things to do than emote bending our knees while leaning our weight slighty- you get the point.

In short reintroduction of magic is what I've been wanting since I joined. Now if I can manage to get it IC my char won't be helpless anymore.

My less diplomatic response: folks in plate armor have ruled supreme in this game for months now. Maybe ever since magic got restricted in the first place (don't know wasn't here to say). It will be so nice to not have them win every fight ever simply by merits of their armor anymore.

SpartanDory

Lord of Altera
I see the use of magic as no different then the folks who spend all their time for in depth combat RP. Let me explain, "throws a wrench" in the balance of things. The same as having guys in full plate walking around all the time as we have now. Just last week we had a guy stroll into Zima in plate armor (Zima is generally agreed to being super hot and humid seeing as it's one of the more southern places and same latitude as our deserts) yet to my knowledge the guy didn't even emote sweating. While everyone else In the room is in loose clothing to keep from dying of heatstroke.

The balance of power is upset when normal players encounter such folks. Also combat RP has its own barrier to entry as you have to be willing to do tons of OOC research into weapons and armor. So you either bend and take your free time and do this or you just sigh and try not to get in fights so you don't just have him roll over and die out of frustration. Another OOC barrier is as one combat RPer stated it can take hours. I have about 4 hours to play this game tops a day sometimes less. I'm not the only one with this problem, so we've got better things to do than emote bending our knees while leaning our weight slighty- you get the point.

In short reintroduction of magic is what I've been wanting since I joined. Now if I can manage to get it IC my char won't be helpless anymore.

My less diplomatic response: folks in plate armor have ruled supreme in this game for months now. Maybe ever since magic got restricted in the first place (don't know wasn't here to say). It will be so nice to not have them win every fight ever simply by merits of their armor anymore.
this is an amazing post, its puts into writing why i love the magic is coming back. have some player love :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Tybalt

Lord of Altera

Your not alone. I've never been a fan of magic. Mainly because I can't see a way for it to not become OP. (And I like you, content with no-low levels of fantasy. Feels good to accomplish thingswhike on the same playing field as every other normal person.)