Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Anime

Skeledude12

I think I might like it here
Would Avatar be considered an Anime?
(It begins)
No, anime itself is slang that represents an animation that was made in Japan by a mostly Japanese crew and cast and for a mosty Japanese audience.

While the term anime is animation this does not mean that all animation is anime. It's not even a style. Anime is not defined as a show featuring a certain style of animation or contant meant mostly for adults.

"Last Airbender" was made in America and animated, written and Produced for an american audience. It may share many tropes with the anime genre but is itself not a Japanese anime.

What I'm trying to say is: Anime is a definition of the cultural aspect, where it comes from and why it was made, its a genre like you would classify foreign films. Anime is not a style of animation.

You can now argue this if you like.

bewpy

Loyal Servant of Altera
Avatar is a western styled anime. Anime is a drawing style, but I like to divide it by western and eastern.

(It begins)
No, anime itself is slang that represents an animation that was made in Japan by a mostly Japanese crew and cast and for a mosty Japanese audience.
Anime is not a slang term for animation made in Japan but a term for animation itself and anime is not just
for Japanese audiences.

While the term anime is animation this does not mean that all animation is anime. It's not even a style. Anime is not defined as a show featuring a certain style of animation or contant meant mostly for adults.
You're right with not all animation is anime but are wrong by saying it is not a style, There are many styles of animation such as Stop motion and 3D animation. Anime is called that because that is the name given to it by Japanese people, the country it originated from.

"Last Airbender" was made in America and animated, written and Produced for an american audience. It may share many tropes with the anime genre but is itself not a Japanese anime.
You are right by saying it is not a Japanese anime but it is a Western anime, therefore still counts as an anime.

What I'm trying to say is: Anime is a definition of the cultural aspect, where it comes from and why it was made, its a genre like you would classify foreign films. Anime is not a style of animation.
I don't really get this statement but looks like you are saying anime is a genre and not a style, Which would be wrong because genre would be something like romance or horror. Anime IS a style of animation.

Thank you and good day.

Skeledude12

Thank you and good day.
Well again your welcome to your opinion.

However, as you stated:
There are many styles of animation such as Stop motion and 3D animation
and anime has shows and movies that are in these styles. So if it bridges different styles of animation then it cannot by definition be a style of animation, it is a genre of animation.

Now that's not saying that the common tropes of anime can't lend too the creation of a style of animation but just because a show reflects the tropes of anime doesn't make it an anime.

So to reiterate: Anime is not a style. Anime is made up of several different styles of animation and developed by a MOSTLY Japanese crew for a MOSTLY Japanese audience. However, there is a series of tropes that could contribute to an anime style, but again that doesn't make it anime. Just like Margarine isn't butter even though they are simular.

Sorry I don't mean to rant so much. Forgive me :p

Well again your welcome to your opinion.
Its fine to have an opinion, but not if you shove it down other peoples throats like your first post.

and anime has shows and movies that are in these styles. So if it bridges different styles of animation then it cannot by definition be a style of animation, it is a genre of animation.

Now that's not saying that the common tropes of anime can't lend too the creation of a style of animation but just because a show reflects the tropes of anime doesn't make it an anime.

So to reiterate: Anime is not a style. Anime is made up of several different styles of animation and developed by a MOSTLY Japanese crew for a MOSTLY Japanese audience. However, there is a series of tropes that could contribute to an anime style, but again that doesn't make it anime. Just like Margarine isn't butter even though they are simular.

Sorry I don't mean to rant so much. Forgive me :p
It have never seen a stop motion anime (P.S. by stop motion I meant clay models ans stuff like that). Anime is a style of animation that originated in Japan, Which doesn't mean if its produced anywhere else it is not anime.
Tea originated in India/China but is made elsewhere, does that mean it is not tea?

and remember try not to rant about your opinions so much others begin to rant back at you.

Skeledude12

Remember try not to rant about your opinions so much others begin to rant back at you.
Forgive me for seeming rude, I didn't mean for it to be about shoving opinions down peoples throat, it was more defending my position. Quite a few anime lovers don't consider it an anime due to the fact that it was made in America simple as that. Its why we don't consider "Batman the Animated Series" or "Spongebob Squarepants" as Anime.

On the same note I also don't consider shows like "Martin Mystery" "Boondocks" or "Totally Spies" anime either, even though they share even more traits with anime, if I'm going to take a side I have to be consistant. :p

Other people might just argue that it's not made in Japan so it's simply not an anime. Case Closed. I try and find a reasoning because it's really kind of narrow minded, so I try to open the concept to why for discussion and not just flat out disagreeing.

Honestly the argument about what makes anime, anime could go round and round for days. What I've discovered though that it really comes down to discussing the idea of anime as a genre or as a style of animation.

I'm more of the thinking that there has been animes that have been in different styles of animation most notably 2D and CG so it can't be an animation style if can be made with different styles of animation. Therefore it's a genre which is limited to releases from Japan, China, and Taiwan. To me anyway, this is just my way of thinking of it.

Again I state there is plenty of points for anime as an animation style and most of them have to do with naming tropes of anime. The more adult themes, the big eyes. Most of which is influenced by the most popular subgenre of anime in North America: Shonen which comprises stories of the most popular animes in North America: "Naruto" "Bleach" "Pokemon" and of course "Dragonball Z."

However because anime isn't just about powers or magical girls, but actually covers a wide array of genres from romance to thiller, the concept of what anime is to a western audience is actually painted wrong. Thus when an America Anime or as I like to call it "Amerine" is made it features these popularized tropes heavily.

(This is becoming another rant and I'm sorry)

I'm not saying that "Last Airbender" and it's new series are bad. Far from it! In fact as an anime watcher I'd argue that it's something that anime lovers should watch.

And in the long run isn't that what matters anyway?

Again I mean absolutely NO one disrespect, I'm just arguing the one side.

Alpha

The Watcher
Just as a side note here, you're using "genre" in the wrong context, when you describe the genre of an anime it means the type of anime it is.

I.E. horror, comedy, action, fantasy, romance. These are genres.

Skeledude12

Just as a side note here, you're using "genre" in the wrong context, when you describe the genre of an anime it means the type of anime it is.

I.E. horror, comedy, action, fantasy, romance. These are genres.
Oh I see what your saying... I suppose that what I'm getting at then is that anime would be a genre along with those you listed and then it would have to be compounded with the second genre by my definition.

Like how "Shaun of the Dead" is Horror/Comedy.

Or "Batman the Animated Series" is Mystery/Animation.

"Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" would be Thiller/Anime.

Alpha

The Watcher
No no no geezus no

Genre has NOTHING to do with the style of the movie/show/series
It is the CONTENT of the finished product

"Like how "Shaun of the Dead" is Horror/Comedy.

Or "Batman the Animated Series" is Mystery/Action.

"Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" would be Horror."

That is how it is. Anime is not a genre, it is a style of portraying a genre.

Skeledude12

No no no, You have anime, then horror as a subgenre so it would be Anime: Horror
Oh I see! Anime as a media! Then my thinking it as a genre is wrong!

So like Anime by that definition would be like Television, Movies, or Books and they have subgenres and strict guidelines of what is a Movie or Book. That's perfect!