Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Any interest in a Hollowworld bloodline game?

arcosanti

I think I might like it here
A...dwarf fortress thread? I...I feel like I'm amongst my people!

I haven't broken out the DF in about a year while Toady worked on fixing a few egregious bugs, but have been meaning to take the latest version for a spin. That having been said, would there be any interest in a bloodline game amongst our HW DF aficionados?

Current players and turn order:
  1. arcosanti
  2. ikbenlars
  3. wanderin_robin
  4. JustShadow
  5. jakp25
  6. Conmaster13
  7. cherbert
  8. Evic
  9. roopot
  10. Blargtheawesome

S

Stevey

I'd be interested in it, but I need to brush up on it first.

Con

Lord of Altera
Sounds good, i'd be interested.

EDIT: lol might I ask what a bloodline game is?

arcosanti

Sounds good, i'd be interested.

EDIT: lol might I ask what a bloodline game is?
I like your enthusiasm, lad.

A bloodline game is where several players take turns playing a single game. Typically, a single player will run the fortress for a year, lets the story unfold (no reloading from saves if things get badly messed up - that's part of the fun!), and typically writes up an account of that year. At the end, the player takes the save file and passes it to the next player in the circle. Continue to play until the fortress invariably succumbs to the inevitable fate of all dwarf fortresses.

As cherbert posted earlier, 'Boatmurdered' is the classic example. In fact, it was reading the account of Boatmurdered that put the hooks in me and made download DF for the first time.

Con

Lord of Altera
wow i'm even more interested now, though I would probably take control of the fortress and then it would all go down hill from there. :p

Con

Lord of Altera
So would we have it for a year as well or might we shorten the amount of time to like a month or week?

JustShadow

Zalenfal Guardian
I would like to join in, but I currently have no discernable idea about how the heck this game works xD
All I see is squiggly lines. I hit my keyboard but nothing happens, they're always idle :p

S

Stevey

I would like to join in, but I currently have no discernable idea about how the heck this game works xD
All I see is squiggly lines. I hit my keyboard but nothing happens, they're always idle :p
Read the guides posted here, you cannot play this game without it. Heres a quick guide:

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
I would help, but as Conmaster said the whole thing would... run out of resources then all the dwarves would starve.

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
You mean this will be like a Hollowworld version of Boatmurdered?... THIS IS NOW MANDATORY!

Can we do this in-character? Act like we're people who were nominated, or something like that, to be High Overseer of the Fortress?... God, I cannot wait for this...

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
The problem with doing it in character would mean I would trap all the dwarves in one room, still feeding them food. I would then proceed to kill them off one by one enjoying their blood. They would not get any ale.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Fine then, I'd play as Ixian. Dig completely randomly and forget to feed them. Give them lots of ale.

arcosanti

Armok's bloody boots, that would be great to do it in character. If I remember correctly, the Boatmurdered guys would rename a specific dwarf with their own name and sort of play through with the notion that this was their in-game self. Eventually they started locking former leaders in prison, trying to outdo each other with building more and more elaborate tombs for themselves, and in general making a glorious mess of the whole thing.

So far we have five confirmed, and two maybes? What say we fire this up over the weekend and get the boulder rolling? I'll wait until Saturday for folks that haven't had a chance to see the thread to join. Borrowing from Boatmurdered, Hollowworlders that don't want to play but want to be involved can be folded in as dwarven immigrants as they arrive in game. I'd suggest a few ground rules based on the Boatmurdered saga and welcome your ideas as well.

1) A player has one real-world week to complete an in-game year, at which point you should zip up your save game and post it somewhere that people can download it.
2) Once it's your turn, you get a week from the time that the link is posted to take your turn. If you start but can't finish, your successor has the option to pick up where you left off and play out the rest of your turn and their. If you don't start, then the old savegame just goes to the next player. If you trash the fort to total -- and I mean TOTAL -- unplayability (e.g. magma flood oh god), we'll revert to an old save, but overcoming setbacks is half the fun, so hopefully we won't have to do this.
3) Post the in-character summary of your year on a thread - include images, highlights, and other memorable moments as you see fit.

My beard is atingle with the anticipation.

ps - 'Ugoshoram' is Dwarf Fortressish for 'Hollowworld' - although I propose we not use that for the game name. ;)