Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Book recommendation thread

Alexandregd

Legend of Altera
Title : The Hitchhiker Guide to The Galaxy
Genre : Fiction/Comedy
Length of book : -+ 200 ench
Series or one book : Serie with 6 books
Details : an Science Fiction, and a comedy, about an human survivor that left earth right before it was destroyed, with his alien fried, both go into an alien ship, and get dispensed into the space, but, a ship catch they, and the owner of the ship was a friend
Extra : Best Comedy I ever read.

Shadowsmalls

The Anime loving Brony
Title : Interview with the Vampire
Genre : Horror
Length of book : Each book is about 300 pages long, there is 10 books in the main series, with 2 spin off books. (There's also a cross with another of the authors series in the last two/three books I believe)
Series or one book : It's a series, "The Vampire Chronicles"
Details : The plot of this one is, basically; Louis , a 200 year old vampire tells the story of his life to a young journalist, starting in 1791 New Orleans.
Extra : I absolutely love this book. It is fairly slow in parts, however I enjoyed it just the same. The series as a whole is pretty good, and is one of the better known Vampire series out there. This one is probably my favourite in the series.
There's also a movie based on this book (Interview with the Vampire) and another loosely based upon the next two (Queen of the Damned). Personally, I feel that Interview with the Vampire is the only one of the two worth watching.

fhamersley

Lord of Altera
Title: The Gone Series
Genre : Uhm.. Little bit of horror, fiction, uh..
Length of book : 500+
Series or one book : Series: Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Fear and Light, in order.
Details : I can't say much without giving the plot away, but I'll try- due to a strange order of events, the small town of Perdido Beach is enclosed by a giant, impenetrable, unexplainable, blue dome. All the people inside over the age of 15 have disappeared, and once you reach that age, you do too. You take the poof. Kids are all that's left, and the area inside the dome is nicknamed The FAYZ, Fallout Alley Youth Zone. When some start to develop strange, mutant powers, things take a turn. Sam, Quinn and Astrid are determined to survive the new world, and unwittingly, Sam is voted as the guy to help everyone else survive too. But his 15th birthday is coming soon, and there may be more evil inside the FAYZ than expected..
Extra : I started reading this series when there was only one book, and having read each book as they come out, I can tell you, it is an amazing, intelligent, cleverly woven series.

Note: Contains scenes of violence and cruelty. Recommended mature audience. 13 (stretching it) and up.

krazy4golf

Loyal Servant of Altera
Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : pendragon
Genre : sci if fantasy
Length of book : 500 max
Series or one book : ten books
Details : child finds out he is some thug called a traveler
Extra : child book but I don't give it justice

Shadowsmalls

The Anime loving Brony
Title : Magician
Genre : High Fantasy
Length of book : This one is about 800 pages (I think)
Series or one book : Well, this is the first book in the first trilogy of The Riftwar Cycle.
Details :At Crydee, Pug, an orphan boy is apprenticed to a master magician. Suddenly the Kingdom is aswarm with alien invaders, destroying the peace of the kingdom. Pug and his friend Tomas are swept up into the conflict, with Pug's destiny leading him through a rift to a new world. (From Wikipedia)
Extra : Honestly, I absolutely love this series. The very last one of the books set in this world is coming out later this year, 31 years after the first one (This one) was released, and I am really really really excited about it.

Shadowsmalls

The Anime loving Brony
Also, I'm just gonna give a +1 to:
The Wheel of Time (I'm re-reading this atm)[Second favourite series]
The Sword of Truth saga, (Favourite series)
Dresden Files and The Magicians Guild.
The Malazzan books of the fallen is also pretty good. (Only read the first at the moment, although I have the second)

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
Someone might have said this series already, but I'm too lazy to check. Checked.

Title: The Night Angel trilogy
Author: Brent Weeks
Genre: Dark Fantasy
Length of book : 700 per book. 2,100 in total.
Series or one book : Trilogy
Details: Story of a Orphan Assassin who is born into poverty in a Dark Fantasy city filled with murder, prostitution and corruption. He must escape and find his true destiny in the world.
Extra: Might be the original inspiration for the saying 'Orphan Assassin'. Anyway, the series is really good. Don't read it if you don't like gritty stories that involve death and all that jazz.

Mitch

Daydreamer
Good
HoboVigilante
HoboVigilante
Good
Ooh, I'm currently reading the A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones, as it's more commonly known) series (nearly done the third book), and I'm wondering what to read when I'm done it and waiting for the next book to come out.

There's too many great suggestions here, and I don't know which one interests me the most! Bleh.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Details: Story of a Orphan Assassin who is born into poverty
Gee, haven't heard that one before xD
Anyway...

Title: The Painted Man (The Warded Man in the USA)
Author: Peter V. Brett
Genre: Fantasy
Length of book : First one is 544 pages
Series or one book : Um... Two books of Painted Man, two of Desert Spear and another one... And I don't think that the series are finished.
Details: The day is ruled by humans, the night, by demons. People live in constant fear behind buildings painted with magical runes that protect them. From this, three young people arise. Arlen, a young man who later becomes the first demon hunter in 300 years, Leesha, who's herbalism skills are unmatched and Rojer, who had two of his fingers bit off by a fire demon as a child, but slowly grew up to be a minstrel, famous for his skills on the violin.
Extra: The book is very well written, though it starts off pretty slowly. I must admit that the first two chapters or so were kind of a grind, but I read the second tome yesterday... Within a day... I'm waiting for the Desert Spears now and can't wait :3

JustTooRadical

Lord of Altera
Title: Lord Loss, Demon Thief, Slawter, Bec, Blood Beast, Demon Apocalypse, Deaths Shadow, Wolf Island, Dark Calling, Hells Heroes.
Author: Darren Shan
Genre:Horror
Length of book: 200+
Series or one book: Series, 10 books in it.
Details: Demons and magic are real. 2 universes, demons and ours. Demons can come to our world. They kill people.
Extra: Really good books, have read the series 3 times now.

Shadowsmalls

The Anime loving Brony
Title: Night Watch
Author: Sergei Lukyanenko
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Length of book: 200/300 pages each (I think)
Series: World of Watches
Details: There is a "plane" or realm underneath the surface of our world, known as the Twilight (or Gloom). The story is set around a group of people called "Others" that are able to enter it. The others are Shamans, Vampires, all the usual supernatural things. They are split into 2 groups, the Light and the Dark. Each has it's own police, of a sorts. The Night Watch works during the night, obviously, to monitor the forces of the Dark. The Day watch does the opposite, keeping an eye on the forces of the light.The first book is about Anton, a member of the Night Watch.
(Here's the proper details, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Lukyanenko_novel) I just paraphrased badly :p)
Extra: I quite like this series. The fifth, and last, of the series will be released in English sometime this year.
There are 2 movies out about this so far, Night Watch and Day Watch.

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
Title: The Gone Series
Genre : Uhm.. Little bit of horror, fiction, uh..
Length of book : 500+
Series or one book : Series: Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Fear and Light, in order.
Details : I can't say much without giving the plot away, but I'll try- due to a strange order of events, the small town of Perdido Beach is enclosed by a giant, impenetrable, unexplainable, blue dome. All the people inside over the age of 15 have disappeared, and once you reach that age, you do too. You take the poof. Kids are all that's left, and the area inside the dome is nicknamed The FAYZ, Fallout Alley Youth Zone. When some start to develop strange, mutant powers, things take a turn. Sam, Quinn and Astrid are determined to survive the new world, and unwittingly, Sam is voted as the guy to help everyone else survive too. But his 15th birthday is coming soon, and there may be more evil inside the FAYZ than expected..
Extra : I started reading this series when there was only one book, and having read each book as they come out, I can tell you, it is an amazing, intelligent, cleverly woven series.

Note: Contains scenes of violence and cruelty. Recommended mature audience. 13 (stretching it) and up.
I believe that the genre is "Escapism" or something

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
Title: The Rangers Apprentice
Genre : Fantasy/Medieval
Length of book : They are about 300-400 pages so medium
Series or one book : A series of 12 I think it was
Details : The stories revolve around the adventures of a ranger's apprentice by the name of Will

creeperhunterpb

Lord of Altera
Genre- fantasy
Series- the inheritance cycle, or better known as eragon
Length- 600-800 depending on the book.
Series- 4 books
Details- eragon finds a special "rock" in book one, and uses the creature thay escapes from it to fight the evil Galbatorix with an army. Sorry it's really vauge but I dont want to give anything away. It has magic and dragons and swords and pure awesomeness. Read them.

Title: the killer angles
Genre: nonfiction
Length- 400 I think
One book
Details- this book revolves around the battle of gettysburg in the US civil war. Follow around the 12th Maine, beuford's Calvary and General Lee's commanding officers. It may not be as great of a read for those of you across the pond since you may not be intrested in american history