Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Clarification: Staff in RP

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Hello all,

So this thread is going to clarify some points regarding the standing of staff in RP where we have noticed mild contention in the past. Hopefully this thread will explain any concerns you might have had and reduce confusion going forward.

In a shortened summary,

Staff and players should be able to:

1) Operate within the same bounds of freedom and obligation in RP.

2) Have the same opportunities to achieve significant things IC.

3) Use any justified, earned IC abilities/knowledge as befits their character without OOC fear of persecution.

What does this mean?

To start off, you’ll notice this:
Staff and players should be able to:

I suppose the only way to go about this is to state the obvious:

1) Staff are players too.

Non-staff and staff players alike, we all want to be able to enjoy playing the game on an equal opportunities basis. In accordance with the Tome of Citizenship, the King’s Law, the Roleplay Guides, with the most recent Player Bill of Rights - which you may find {here} - we all have exactly the same right to realistic IC action/inaction within the Altera setting.

Occasionally it has been criticised that staff do too much in RP, or take too big a role in events and current happenings. However, it needs to be clarified that staff players can accomplish nothing IC that non-staff players cannot. If any player, staff or non-staff does not? Simply put, it is nothing to do with any perceived distinction between staff players and non-staff players.

What characters do is extraneous to staff work; it is simply unfair to unrealistically inhibit anyone’s character to make something easier or more fun for others - it is simply caving to the Tall Poppy Syndrome, and it’s not how real life works either.

On the subject of equal opportunities:

2) We know nothing, Jon Snow.

Excusing the meme, that is the essence of it; unless personally involved in a confidential project OOC, staff players know as little about the campaigns as non-staff players do, and should therefore be able to interact with them to the same degree.

We do not have any advantage in terms of knowledge of plot variables, planned interactions, denizens, or anything remotely character-affecting whatsoever.

Those who are involved in working on anything specifically confidential or spoiler-heavy will often have to comply with a work agreement that they must, depending on the extent of the knowledge, either:

A) Keep their characters from interacting with the area that they have knowledge of OOCly

OR
B) Keep their characters out of an event or campaign as entirely as can possibly be justified
If they are made to be remotely involved IC through the actions of other characters, they will go to ridiculous extents to avoid making any related IC conclusions until there is absolutely no doubt their character would realise things.

This leads nicely onto the last area to be explained, though it focuses more broadly on any character strengths rather than knowledge alone:

3) Being a staff member grants no IC perks.

Staff players are required to earn their IC abilities, skills, knowledge and power through in-character just as players are:

• Characters leading houses go through the same process of collecting funds, finding others to join them, and establishing themselves in the political scheme of things.
  • Characters with combat skills, passive skills, specific learning or areas of expertise will have earned and maintained such through roleplay.
  • Characters using magic have all taken the necessary risks, done the necessary training, completed research, experiments, trial and error to earn their abilities - some even through excessive instances of error purely to avoid any possibility of metagaming.
As such, staff players should feel able to realistically utilise earned IC abilities without fear of OOC contention, just non-staff players should be able to use theirs.

A final note:

Last of all, please bear in mind that this is not a jab at any specific incident or query; it is neither rebuttal nor reprimand, and I'm glad this was able to be addressed. Hopefully it will alleviate some of the concerns we have been seeing, though if you still have questions or thoughts on the subject by all means comment below or, if you would prefer, send myself or another staff member of forum message on the subject.

Thank you all for reading, and have a good weekend!

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
1) Staff are players too.

Occasionally it has been criticised that staff do too much in RP, or take too big a role in events and current happenings. However, it needs to be clarified that staff players can accomplish nothing IC that non-staff players cannot. If any player, staff or non-staff does not? Simply put, it is nothing to do with any perceived distinction between staff players and non-staff players.
Possibly I have a explanation to why this is a thing.

One of them is that it isn't a secret that players listen more to those with power, aka the admins. And the plus and the before-change golden name also made their name easier to catch and read.

Now if we take all of this together and mix it with the common knowledge that humans can better concentrate about things that stands more out and add the fact that staff names, now not so much, stand out.

In a big event with alot of players shouting and trying to play an important role it's obivious that the host or main center can't reply to everything or notice everything. Therefor they reply to what catches their eyes first. That then creates the idea that staff does more in events, which they do, I am very sorry to say, but it's not only your fault. (sorry if I sounded harsh there)

Ps. With the whole "What catches a players concentration" I also believe that the familiar player name admins have, playes a role to.

I may be wrong here, but this is just my thought.
I am sorry if this appears as I am attacking someone, which I am not.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Snippedysnerp
A fair enough point. I would not say that either issue mentioned is something that affects RP in a very large way, but on a smaller scale, it is very possible that the things you mentioned are involved variables in people's concerns.

On nametags:

I know it was actually originally intended for the gold names to only apply when staff were on duty, but I think a lot of us did grow somewhat lax with it, so you are probably right in that it is best confined to OOC.

On authority/familiarity:

I would say that this is not really something within our control, but I would also say it should not be able to affect RP if we are careful to separate OOC and IC judgement. I think the prejudices (positive and negative) probably apply to a lot of non-staff players too.

We are a community, over time we do form relationships, and it is not something we can avoid. If you recognise an actor whose work you like playing a likeable character in a TV series, for example, you are more likely to warm to that character faster than if they were played by another actor you were perhaps less familiar with.

Hopefully the nickname plugin reduces the association of any players with their characters, so that IC interactions are more wholly based on IC experiences, but I honestly think the problem is something ultimately and irrevocably present in everyone's RP anyway, and not just staff's. That's not to say I think people go so far as to act on OOC feeling, but otherwise it is simply another unfortunate facet of the OOC/IC issues that one would hope, as a community, we should be able to suppress.

No OOC sentiment should affect any characters' interactions with others - trust me, that's not something we want either, and it will continue to be something we will work towards reducing.

aidoninja

Lord of Altera
Legend
aidenninja
aidenninja
Legend
Heres a question, how does one gain said ic skills, like being a Taylor for example, I dont think ive EVER seenone on the server, so where would I go , and blacksmithing, any hints / help would be appropriate :D

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Heres a question, how does one gain said ic skills, like being a Taylor for example, I dont think ive EVER seenone on the server, so where would I go , and blacksmithing, any hints / help would be appropriate :D
For a lot of things, having an initial teacher, and simple practice will do. In the case of tailors, as it's hard to powergame that, I have heard of a character being a tailor as simply a way for a player to RP their skill making skins. Which is fine, but roleplaying the establishment of such a skill is ... often more fun than people give credit for. And I will say that it's entirely possible to teach yourself crafts like this, particularly if the character is literate.

As for stuff like blacksmithing, this requires a bit more caution. You definitely need a teacher.

aidoninja

Lord of Altera
Legend
aidenninja
aidenninja
Legend
For a lot of things, having an initial teacher, and simple practice will do. In the case of tailors, as it's hard to powergame that, I have heard of a character being a tailor as simply a way for a player to RP their skill making skins. Which is fine, but roleplaying the establishment of such a skill is ... often more fun than people give credit for. And I will say that it's entirely possible to teach yourself crafts like this, particularly if the character is literate.

As for stuff like blacksmithing, this requires a bit more caution. You definitely need a teacher.
Thanks artsanmos (lol it took me like 2-3 mins 2 write this XD)

aidoninja

Lord of Altera
Legend
aidenninja
aidenninja
Legend
aidoninja said:
Meant apretiated not apropreate Lol

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
I have a question, how would a player have the same opportunity as Michcat, Naelwyn or Legion at obtaining powers that there characters possess.

Patrickdxs

Lord of Altera
I have a question, how would a player have the same opportunity as Michcat, Naelwyn or Legion at obtaining powers that there characters possess.
You could try to be a apprentice under them, I know that I was trying to find Legion as Corvus when he was told about Legion's powers.

Patrickdxs

Lord of Altera
From my understanding this is no longer possible
It is just /extremely/ difficult, and as far as I know many players (Myself included) wouldn't be looked at twice before being told "no". Due to the fact that allowing someone that kind of power is a huge OOC and IC responsibility which can be abused, and only the most trusted should be allowed to handle it. Though I will say, it is fully possible to learn these things, you just need to make sure your viable OOC and ICly.