Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Clarification: Staff in RP

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
It is just /extremely/ difficult, and as far as I know many players (Myself included) wouldn't be looked at twice before being told "no". Due to the fact that allowing someone that kind of power is a huge OOC and IC responsibility which can be abused, and only the most trusted should be allowed to handle it. Though I will say, it is fully possible to learn these things, you just need to make sure your viable OOC and ICly.
But doesn't that go against the everyone has the same opportunities and such

Last edited:

Patrickdxs

Lord of Altera
but isn't that just showing bias? I mean what's there to stop picking players they simply like more?
Because all of the staff have to agree to it I believe, and in the end the player has to RP well enough to get anywhere near these people, then RP at tip top performance to meet standards, while taking all of the risks which will lead to many of them dying. Infact, if I had a bias for someone because I know them more and loved their character, I would advice them /against/ magic, because it could very easily perma-kill or otherwise maim their character and end any carrier in magic they could have had. Remember that while staff are human and can't be free of bias, they are free of bias when it comes to enforcing the rules, and taking consequences is one of them. In the end being biased would get them thrown out of staff position /very/ quickly, not to mention anyone bringing up the argument "The staff won't share because they are biased" wouldn't be eligible for magic anyway in my mind, as that's just being selfish for IC powers you don't have entitlement to.

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Because all of the staff have to agree to it I believe, and in the end the player has to RP well enough to get anywhere near these people, then RP at tip top performance to meet standards, while taking all of the risks which will lead to many of them dying. Infact, if I had a bias for someone because I know them more and loved their character, I would advice them /against/ magic, because it could very easily perma-kill or otherwise maim their character and end any carrier in magic they could have had. Remember that while staff are human and can't be free of bias, they are free of bias when it comes to enforcing the rules, and taking consequences is one of them. In the end being biased would get them thrown out of staff position /very/ quickly, not to mention anyone bringing up the argument "The staff won't share because they are biased" wouldn't be eligible for magic anyway in my mind, as that's just being selfish for IC powers you don't have entitlement to.
I can agree with most of what you're saying. However I ask you this, how many mages do we have running around Altera currently?

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Just because everyone is afforded the same opportunities, does not mean that everyone will succeed at these opportunities. There are still requirements, both IC and OOC for many things, not just magic-related things. Rangers are a good example, as are various houses (most of which are not staff run). In fact, there are members of staff who have failed to meet one or more of the requirements.

While I appreciate the sentiment, and agree with some of what you're saying, I would have put it quite differently. Anyone can RP with each Magus without having some sort of "audition."

I can agree with most of what you're saying. However I ask you this, how many mages do we have running around Altera currently?
As magic is a part of the lore, yes, there has to be heavy staff oversight. The current number of mages, in my honest opinion, is more heavily related to various staff-things that have put a lot of uncertainty and doubt into the minds of all the staff, including those who are in charge of the various magic schools. Whether this would be different if we had a non-staff magus (a possibility, in fact, for the future), I can't say. I doubt it. Training stopped. There were close to a dozen people in training before things got up-ended, and we're just now getting to the point where the mage players feels comfortable enough in the stability of things to pick training back up. So I don't see this as the same issue at all.

Lannis

You've yeed your last haw
Staff member
Admin
Events Staff
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Server Owner
Shadow Owner
I have a question, how would a player have the same opportunity as Michcat, Naelwyn or Legion at obtaining powers that there characters possess.
To my understanding, the abilities of these characters were reintroduced for exactly that purpose- To give players the opportunity to learn and obtain said powers. Mind you, this quite clearly doesn't equate to having arcane power handed over on a gilded platter. The magic system is highly restrictive on the basis of not wanting everyone and their mum running around with the ability to blow up a town, namely in regards to those that would flippantly use it for such. As Patrick said, it's a huge matter of responsibility, and as such not lightly given.
"Opportunity" does not equate to "guarantee." Everyone has access to lobby for an apprenticeship, but are not entitled to such.
Very few, the intended rollout has gone rather slowly. I speculate that this is largely due to the Magi numbering only four, all of them having IRL commitments and not necessarily wanting to teach magic 24/7- One of the points of this thread is that staff are players too, and are here because they too want to enjoy roleplay.~ Additionally, I don't imagine any of the players behind the Magi are the type to not have a highly elaborate system behind their disciplines- Making teaching it substantially more complicated and time-consuming than, "Yer an apprentice, enjoy shootin' fireballs at everything."

Patrickdxs

Lord of Altera
While I appreciate the sentiment, and agree with some of what you're saying, I would have put it quite differently. Anyone can RP with each Magus without having some sort of "audition."
Ah, thank you for the correction Som, I am fairly uncertain about the apprentice process so thank you for the clarification.

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Also, everyone has the same opportunity to become a millionaire. But sadly only about 1% of people will~

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Fun fact: There was a spot of drama that heavily interrupted many workings on the server and caused a delay in many aspects, the Magic system included. By my prediction, the entirety of magic users would be on "Generation Two", in that all apprentices of each discipline would be teaching :D

So its getting there again. We've just recently picking things back up, concerning more then the magic system.

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Fun fact: There was a spot of drama that heavily interrupted many workings on the server and caused a delay in many aspects, the Magic system included. By my prediction, the entirety of magic users would be on "Generation Two", in that all apprentices of each discipline would be teaching :D

So its getting there again. We've just recently picking things back up, concerning more then the magic system.
That's good to hear

Lannis

You've yeed your last haw
Staff member
Admin
Events Staff
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Server Owner
Shadow Owner
What i'm saying is that its hardly fair is it :p
"Fairness" doesn't mean that everyone gets the same as everyone else- means that everyone gets what they earn.~
As I'm loath to apply that phrasing to this situation, I'll clarify. Everyone has the opportunity to apply for apprenticeship, but those that don't demonstrate adequate ability to handle such likely won't get it.

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
"Fairness" doesn't mean that everyone gets the same as everyone else- means that everyone gets what they earn.~
As I'm loath to apply that phrasing to this situation, I'll clarify. Everyone has the opportunity to apply for apprenticeship, but those that don't demonstrate adequate ability to handle such likely won't get it.
Then clarifying that would be better than giving people false sense of hope~

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
What i'm saying is that its hardly fair is it :p
In many ways I would agree with you, but I do not believe that in this metaphor, magic is the only thing that can equate to wealth. There is political power, actual wealth (*cough* Boulderpaul *cough*), reknown, lovely character development, or any number of things that in my opinion not only equal magic, but can often surpass it.

I am intensely envious of someone like solus, who has a wonderfully developed character, only one active character (*eyes Kelta with narrowed eyes*), and only one major active project at a time (as far as I've seen anyways). This allows her a depth of focus that most days seem more attractive than the kind of position I'm in now, where I have to balance RP with staff work, and lots of staff work.

Oh, and she's not a magic user. She's not even an apprentice. She has just become a priestess of the Grey Lady, which makes me so super happy for her character.

Then clarifying that would be better than giving people false sense of hope~
I'm pretty sure it is-

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Okay, I'm gonna head back to a sort of watch-mode. I don't want to overwhelm folks with staff responses on the same thing.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
Question
Not sure if this already has been asked.

I know that staff has answered that anyone can apply for apprenticeship, but I would like to ask if it was possible for a character to learn magic by himself, with loads of testing.

I believe that was the way mich's character learned magic? (correct me if I am wrong, cause I may be).

I can see the disadvantage of researching it yourself and not learning it, but I want to know if it is a possibility.

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
Plenty of clarification lately, which of course, is a good thing, though it entails the fact that players were acting silly enough for clarification to be required in the first place.

Spark

Broken
Plenty of clarification lately, which of course, is a good thing, though it entails the fact that players were acting silly enough for clarification to be required in the first place.
Whether players are being silly about it or not, the idea that staff would have an advantage in RP is entirely reasonable, as are most of the subjects raised in the clarification threads. Usually people don't directly ask these things directly since they are usually controversial/a touchy subject. Having these things talked about in hushed tones usually ends up with bad rumours as people only talk about it when there's no staff presence because they feel like they would be punished for having such opinions. Eh, either way I like reading these, it clears the air and sets facts straight. Personally I would like to see more of these if/when they are needed.