Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Clarification: Staff in RP

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
Whether players are being silly about it or not, the idea that staff would have an advantage in RP is entirely reasonable, as are most of the subjects raised in the clarification threads. Usually people don't directly ask these things directly since they are usually controversial/a touchy subject. Having these things talked about in hushed tones usually ends up with bad rumours as people only talk about it when there's no staff presence because they feel like they would be punished for having such opinions. Eh, either way I like reading these, it clears the air and sets facts straight. Personally I would like to see more of these if/when they are needed.
Oh I am not opposed to this thread at all, I quite like it and feel that it is necessary. Nor am I criticizing the general playerbase. Perhaps I was a bit unequivocal. What I meant is that there have been several arbitrary instances of unacceptable behavior by a few individuals, that pertain to the matter covered by this thread. Presumably these instances played a role in the thread's creation (this is what I meant by "players were acting silly"). On the more positive end, it was created to, well, clarify and so that players may ask questions and staff to elucidate.

TL;DR: Faelin, I ain't haetin'.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Question
Not sure if this already has been asked.

I know that staff has answered that anyone can apply for apprenticeship, but I would like to ask if it was possible for a character to learn magic by himself, with loads of testing.

I believe that was the way mich's character learned magic? (correct me if I am wrong, cause I may be).

I can see the disadvantage of researching it yourself and not learning it, but I want to know if it is a possibility.
Can answer once I've gotten up and out of bed~

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Question

I know that staff has answered that anyone can apply for apprenticeship, but I would like to ask if it was possible for a character to learn magic by himself, with loads of testing.

I believe that was the way mich's character learned magic? (correct me if I am wrong, cause I may be).

I can see the disadvantage of researching it yourself and not learning it, but I want to know if it is a possibility.
Aaalright, with several of the disciplines, it is impossible to learn magic without having been... "activated," so to speak. With another, it's impossible without deliberate, guided, intentional practice. I'm also not 100% certain it does not require a sort of activation as well. These disciplines require apprenticeship.

With the last, it is entirely possible to learn it without having been trained, HOWEVER, this is quite dangerous, as not only are the forms extremely complicated, but if you have the wrong spell, one of two things could happen. Either a) absolutely nothing at all, not even the desired outcome. Or b) catastrophic unintended consequences, resulting in the death (probably permanent) of your character.

This is not really mentioning that the discipline I'm speaking of is complicated to the point of impossibility. As far as I'm concerned, you are welcome to try, but you'll have to submit your ... experiments in the same way that people have to submit mundane experiments... which people are rather bad at, here lately. And considering that there are near infinite ways to perform this magic with no result, your chances are essentially slim to none that you'll get anywhere without a teacher. @Naelwyn can correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Mich's character, I'm assuming you mean Tzemik. Tzemik did not stumble across it without a teacher, although @Michcat would probably be better to tell you the details of that particular situation. It's interesting, and not without consequences.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
Aaalright, with several of the disciplines, it is impossible to learn magic without having been... "activated," so to speak. With another, it's impossible without deliberate, guided, intentional practice. I'm also not 100% certain it does not require a sort of activation as well. These disciplines require apprenticeship.

With the last, it is entirely possible to learn it without having been trained, HOWEVER, this is quite dangerous, as not only are the forms extremely complicated, but if you have the wrong spell, one of two things could happen. Either a) absolutely nothing at all, not even the desired outcome. Or b) catastrophic unintended consequences, resulting in the death (probably permanent) of your character.

This is not really mentioning that the discipline I'm speaking of is complicated to the point of impossibility. As far as I'm concerned, you are welcome to try, but you'll have to submit your ... experiments in the same way that people have to submit mundane experiments... which people are rather bad at, here lately. And considering that there are near infinite ways to perform this magic with no result, your chances are essentially slim to none that you'll get anywhere without a teacher. @Naelwyn can correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Mich's character, I'm assuming you mean Tzemik. Tzemik did not stumble across it without a teacher, although @Michcat would probably be better to tell you the details of that particular situation. It's interesting, and not without consequences.
The one is was talking about was the one before.

Can't remember his name, but he was old and grumpy.

Also thanks for the answer.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good

Ah, the first generation mages (Legion, Lathan, Naelwyn, and Vallahad technically) are... different. We had a tabula rasa situation, and had to start somewhere, after all.

A question in response to Somnastra's above post:

Considering that I know the basics of Evocation ICly, have a focus, as well as have the knowledge as to how I can move energy, does that mean I can continue to experiment with magic without a teacher even though I am washed out?
I would refer you to the magic subforum, where it says that wash-outs can maintain their current level of proficiency, but may not advance.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
PROVIDED that they were not burned out in the process of washing out.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Question

Oh! You're talking about Lathan?
Lathan lost his ability to use magic like everyone else in the Broken Moon. Naelwyn and Legion opened up for people to "Experiment" on what happened, although I believe no one else really made it (If they had, their characters would also have still retained some sort of magic use afaik). Lathans experiementations managed to allow him to discover what we now know is Mysticism, although he was old and frail and couldn't do much with it. However, it served as a base to get us out of that 'tabula rasa' situation and open up a magic school to more people.
(The founders of each school corrosponded with the folks who actually wrote the school, and not by coincidence).

A question in response to Somnastra's above post:

Considering that I know the basics of Evocation ICly, have a focus, as well as have the knowledge as to how I can move energy, does that mean I can continue to experiment with magic without a teacher even though I am washed out?
Somnastra provided a good answer for you, but you should already know that answer- As you, of course, read the rules of the magic subforum.