Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Constellations and Major Stars

Teeke

Lord of Altera
After a bit of hmming and hawing I'm starting to come up with some major stars and constellations.
I'll be posting them here, I hope people contribute...
be it Yay or Naying a name.
or posting constellations that YOU recognize.
or something else.

Without further ado here we go!
(Note: This post is undergoing updates.)-mB 12/12/13

The local star, commonly called the Sun. ( Changes needed.)
Harateth. He is the sungod after all, so it is completely logical to call the local star Harateth.

The moon. What is the moon called? (Changes Needed)
Maybe it's called Sallana because she was found in the sun.
The moon is big and bright, but not as much as Harateth.
Views on this?

This little star here. Right next to the horn on the moon. (Changes Needed)
Is it called Shalherana?
Maybe. Sallana did create Shalherana after all, so it makes sense the two would be physically close.

More to come as they are identified.

Interested in helping out?
Head to the tallest tree in Eresse* and view the stars with me from my treetop observatory!
*Eresse is a small independant nation in the Sorrows, roughly 200 meters South West from the dock in the Sorrows.

Last edited:

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
Oh I love the ideas!
But it's technically impossible for the the star Shalherana and the satellite Salanna to be "physically close" as the star's gravitational pull and heat would vapourize Altera. ( and the solar system. ) Assuming you meant relatively close?

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Medieval times we didn't know stars were things in their own right, we basically assumed ye olde Ptolemaic geocentrism.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
I perceive the Immortal Kings and Queens to remain stuck in place.
I also perceive Shalherana to sit next to Sallana.
This is how I perceive them, so this is how it must be.

But yes, ignoring actual science and etc here, or else we'd just say the stars are incredibly hot materials...science...

Teeke

Lord of Altera
I'm going to remove Constellation 1, it's too close to Sallana and won't have room to be a full constellation.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Instead of saying the sun, moon, and that star -are- gods, perhaps say they are aspects of the god and just call them the Sun and the moon.

I disagree with calling a single star after a god, perhaps each constellation should be a god instead.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Sun is a proper noun. Sol is as well, and that's the name of a god.
The proper name of our star system is the System of Sol.

Why wouldn't it be the same in Altera?

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Also:
Luna, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Terra, Pluto, Saturn, Neptune....
Those are all named after goods and here in our System of Sol.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
I just think it would be strange to go;

"Oh look, Sallana is bright today."

Alterans also originated from our current universe(The one I'm typing from), and as far as we're aware there aren't any other planets. Maybe the names Sun and Moon have been passed down in tales, word of mouth.

Alternatively Legion could have just told everyone that's what they're called.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
ICly
has an Elf I find nothing odd to talk about how brightly Sallana shines upon us.

and Altera is in the same universe? we know for certain there are other planets out there....

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Quite honestly, I like how hes approaching this...

The gods are the bright skylights? Thats the most medieval idea I've seen here :I

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Quite honestly, I like how hes approaching this...

The gods are the bright skylights? Thats the most medieval idea I've seen here :I
But no! :D
They sort of got over the idea that God isn't the Sun quite a while before that, since the Old Testament itself says that God created mankind in His own shape. And remember, Christianity would be the focus here, if we're talking Medieval Europe.

But enough about that.

I really do not think constellations should be named after Gods, mostly because people have physical evidence of their existence and would not need to personify stars and such.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
even in modern times our stars and constellations have exotic names and meanings attached to gods, titans, and the ilk.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
But that's because they deprived from Greek mythology. Greeks didn't have the Old Testament. However, I saw numerous occasions where it was stated that this server is based of Medieval Europe. I really do not think naming the stars after gods makes sense, especially naming them word-for-word after gods, since as I said we don't need to personify objects as we are already fully aware of their physical existence.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
My best offer is none, just like most towns, geographical regions, houses and names. There is no set rule for naming them, why bother here?

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Just because Polo's pointed something out doesn't mean he automatically has a solution. :p

I'm sure there're lots of people that would like stars named after themselves, or their cities, or their houses. There may also be some suggestions from people that have something to do with the shape of the constellation, but remember: this is your lore submission. It's fine to ask others for help, but remember that you shouldn't only ask other people for it, especially if one of your suggestions may be flawed. You can always think of more! :)