Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Constellations and Major Stars

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Okay great. But why can't you throw out a few names instead of just saying nay?
Why don't you spot a constellations instead of just saying nay?
I'm all for folks being involved, but that means to contribute and not to just say "nope nope nope"

So. Where do you want to see this going?
What are some constellations you see?
What are some names and stories you can cone up with for them?

And still, here on Earth we have planets, stars, constellations all named after gods and goddesses. We nay not have the "God" constellation, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I think the first thing you should try doing is mapping out if you can arrange shapes.

Actually, the first thing to check is that Minecraft has a consistent night sky.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Naelwyn, minecraft planets each have their own stars!
Yes the night sky is unique to each world!
This was a feature which Notch worked into the game early on.
Also as someone who doesn't use maps or anything I rely on the stars for night time navigation.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I figured that was a valid thing.

So the next order of business is - does our world's sky stay fixed? Because naming constellations otherwise is unlikely to stick.

fhamersley

Lord of Altera
I still do not believe the idea of naming constellations straight as gods makes any sense. I can understand naming them in gods' honour, but not word-for-word.
Actually kind of have to go with Polo here for the very simple reason that the gods don't personify the stars, but other things, and they are liable to get rather pissy if people get what they personify wrong.
Wait, nevermind, go right ahead.
I think it's this kind of attitude though that restricts players from being able to craft Lore for the server. I appreciate that you have to crack down on some ideas, Naelwyn, and you do a really good job as Lore master. However, naming constellations and stars after gods doesn't give anyone an actual benefit other than enhanced RP. In this case, I think the lore is a bit too stuck-in-the-mud and is squishing the idea.

The whole point of a religion is you believe your god is real. Many of these religions also honour their gods by naming constellations after them. Civilisations have been gazing up at the sky and naming the stars whatever for years and I think it's fair to apply that our RP civilisation too. Putting rules on astronomy seems a little too restrictive.
I really really really didn't mean to sound bratty or whiney and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I want to support this idea and be a part of it.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I think it's this kind of attitude though that restricts players from being able to craft Lore for the server. I appreciate that you have to crack down on some ideas, Naelwyn, and you do a really good job as Lore master. However, naming constellations and stars after gods doesn't give anyone an actual benefit other than enhanced RP. In this case, I think the lore is a bit too stuck-in-the-mud and is squishing the idea.

The whole point of a religion is you believe your god is real. Many of these religions also honour their gods by naming constellations after them. Civilisations have been gazing up at the sky and naming the stars whatever for years and I think it's fair to apply that our RP civilisation too. Putting rules on astronomy seems a little too restrictive.
I really really really didn't mean to sound bratty or whiney and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I want to support this idea and be a part of it.
All I said is that I do not believe naming stars word-for-word after gods is a good idea. I never said "dnt n4m3 thm u n00bs cuz u dun kno". I think creating and naming constellations is a great idea. However, approaching it differently would help, because as I said, the approach currently taken isn't the one I agree with.
No need to attack me based on my opinion. Attitude like this is called "Constructive Criticism". He countered my point, I further countered his, third party joined agreeing with me. Eventually we'll get the naming system, or its lack of, we want.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Alternatively, if you tried to give them names in RP you can name them whatever you want, you just need to make sure nobody opposes you/everyone listens.

fhamersley

Lord of Altera
All I said is that I do not believe naming stars word-for-word after gods is a good idea. I never said "dnt n4m3 thm u n00bs cuz u dun kno". I think creating and naming constellations is a great idea. However, approaching it differently would help, because as I said, the approach currently taken isn't the one I agree with.
No need to attack me based on my opinion. Attitude like this is called "Constructive Criticism". He countered my point, I further countered his, third party joined agreeing with me. Eventually we'll get the naming system, or its lack of, we want.
I'm not attacking you based on your opinion, I'm sorry that it seemed aggressive ^_^ My first paragraph in the other post is the most concise way I can present my views. I think it would be fabulous if people could look up, see a constellation, or a story, screenshot and highlight and post it here :D My character would be very inclined to use the information on such a thread in RP and I think it would a shame to have to contain the creative juices.

Jupa15

Settling in Altera

Bless this post.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
He's asking if it maintains the position of the stars or if they're randomly distributed each night.
no, the Great Kings and Queens appear to remain fixed in the same place each night.
Alternatively, if you tried to give them names in RP you can name them whatever you want, you just need to make sure nobody opposes you/everyone listens.
Actually, I'm looking at this from an IC perspective.
But as far as people listening to me IC I dunno... I'm a forest elf who's retreated deep into a forest.

And I was thinking that it would be hard to designate which star clusters would be constellations without naming them.
Because name/shape are pretty much tied to one another.

The reason I'm maintaining Gods based naming is because there is little other lore to work ...
Now... Suppose the houses/clans/villages/etc all wanted to pitch in and "buy" constellations, and name them accordingly.
"The Saeradan Constellation" "The Queen Grief Constellation" etc.

fhamersley

Lord of Altera
no, the Great Kings and Queens appear to remain fixed in the same place each night.

Actually, I'm looking at this from an IC perspective.
But as far as people listening to me IC I dunno... I'm a forest elf who's retreated deep into a forest.

And I was thinking that it would be hard to designate which star clusters would be constellations without naming them.
Because name/shape are pretty much tied to one another.

The reason I'm maintaining Gods based naming is because there is little other lore to work ...
Now... Suppose the houses/clans/villages/etc all wanted to pitch in and "buy" constellations, and name them accordingly.
"The Saeradan Constellation" "The Queen Grief Constellation" etc.
A way you could do it is that this thread, or a new one, is designated for interested folks to point out constellations and detail any stories that go with the constellation for people to use in RP. Some constellations would have been named in the past, but some might be new - such as, as you say, those of Great Houses or towns etc.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Oh. Guys, I'm not opposed to names involving gods, just if you name it directly after them.

Ex:

Sallana - Err, not really.

"Shalherana's Cornucopia" - Solid.

Scardrac

Felsummer
... But- Some people don't use the same texture pack.

I agree on keeping sun/moon the same thing, and just relate things to it. (Harateth = Sungod)

@Tarron and I were going to try and find a way to clarify stars to people in-character and out. I found it was just too confusing and not worth it.