Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Future of the Earthspawn - October 2015

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
So let me just say that Im totally okay with the Earthspawn being removed.

But I am getting a tad worried that perhaps were taking a too big of a step in the "elimination of fantasy" direction, which has been easily this servers most exciting parts [for me at least]. I am Just throwin in how I feel 'bout this because I don't know whats next for lore updates and stuff, but I really hope this doesn't turn into a no fantasy minus smaller and live longer humans server, which would be kinda saddening and boring, Tbh.

This is NOT meant to start anything, It is just my two cents :)

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
So let me just say that Im totally okay with the Earthspawn being removed.

But I am getting a tad worried that perhaps were taking a too big of a step in the "elimination of fantasy" direction, which has been easily this servers most exciting parts [for me at least]. I am Just throwin in how I feel 'bout this because I don't know whats next for lore updates and stuff, but I really hope this doesn't turn into a no fantasy minus smaller and live longer humans server, which would be kinda saddening and boring, Tbh.

This is NOT meant to start anything, It is just my two cents :)
Argument was made before that Earthspawn were being played as just bigger humans(That also happen to be green). There's still fantasy races, but people refuse to play as them. Plus not to mention enchanting is now coming around too- it's not getting rid of all fantasy aspects; it seems more like removing the flawed ones, and adding more interesting ones.

I'm actually mildly interested because the removal of other races could mean that future races will be accepted/added; which could be pretty interesting depending on how it goes.(Or I could be wrong, who knows?)

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
Argument was made before that Earthspawn were being played as just bigger humans(That also happen to be green). There's still fantasy races, but people refuse to play as them. Plus not to mention enchanting is now coming around too- it's not getting rid of all fantasy aspects; it seems more like removing the flawed ones, and adding more interesting ones.

I'm actually mildly interested because the removal of other races could mean that future races will be accepted/added; which could be pretty interesting depending on how it goes.(Or I could be wrong, who knows?)
Eeeeh, enchanting is a little thing, I suppose, but I understand what you mean about the bigger humans. though In all honesty all fantasy is flawed, because its fantasy.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
There's still fantasy races, but people refuse to play as them.
Of course. You have a vast selection of humans with pointy ears that hug trees and shoot bows; humans that are short, fat and like to dig; humans with goat legs; just short humans... Man, my vast selection of poorly thought-out human subspecies is so fantasy I can't even contain all of the fantasy within that fantasy. If you'll use the argument that Earthspawns were just bigger green humans then use the same argument for virtually all races. I think the only race in Altera that wasn't really that human were the Greylings, and those got the cut quite a while back. Since then and the removal of Nakam (which I always felt was just a ripoff of Skyrim, albeit Mich managed to make something decent out of it in the end) Earthspawns were the least human of all races.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I've always wondered why the argument exists of less race choices = less fantasy. It's certainly a false argument, seeing the volumes of medieval fantasy books written that have only humans in them as far as races go. I think, unfortunately, that it stems from the same "need to be special" issue that seems to be incredibly pervasive in minecraft rp servers. It's not that removing a race reduces the fantasy element, but rather it limits the player's ability to be special and unique. I doubt it is possible to convince these players that by removing races that have little player support and are being roleplayed incorrectly, their roleplay experience will be improved. Instead it's seen as six choices of special are now down to five, and thus each choice less special because of it.

It's the same vein as seeing players who have a barely touched alt becoming active with said "legacy" character now. By removing the option from the vast majority of the community, the "special" value of said race has skyrocketed. This allows those fortunate few a title most seek but few find - "Legitimized Special." Their need to be recognized as special is now officially validated by staff's removal of the race. It furthers this even more by allowing only those "special" players to choose who else among them is allowed to be seen as "special" as well, making them feel important.

In any event, the removal (or addition) of a race doesn't detract (or add) to the "Fantasy Level" of the server. Taking a quote from wikipedia: "Essentially, fantasy follows rules of its own making, allowing magic and other fantastic devices to be used and still be internally cohesive." Which essentially means the definition of what "fantasy" is in a given server is determined by the ones in charge of Lore, as they are the ones that make the rules of the setting. There are plenty of fantastic devices in the server - Magic, alchemy, dragons, the nether, enchanting, people who live forever for little to no reason, golems, ghosts, divine interventions, teleportation, moon exploration, stargates, landships, dead royalty coming back to life in various forms, an organization that constantly brings people back from the dead, and a great deal more.

My suggestion is if you must prove to others that you are "special," then learn to be special through roleplay, not through mechanical gimmicks and legacy elitism.

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
Of course. You have a vast selection of humans with pointy ears that hug trees and shoot bows; humans that are short, fat and like to dig; humans with goat legs; just short humans... Man, my vast selection of poorly thought-out human subspecies is so fantasy I can't even contain all of the fantasy within that fantasy. If you'll use the argument that Earthspawns were just bigger green humans then use the same argument for virtually all races. I think the only race in Altera that wasn't really that human were the Greylings, and those got the cut quite a while back. Since then and the removal of Nakam (which I always felt was just a ripoff of Skyrim, albeit Mich managed to make something decent out of it in the end) Earthspawns were the least human of all races.
Elves are sadly more-or-less humans that live longer, yeah. As for Dwarves, Caparii, and Halflings; there hasn't been enough people RPing as them for them to be RPed necessarily 'incorrectly'. If there has been, they aren't the major people everyone sees daily in the 'spotlight'. Most of the Dwarves that I see, for example; while very few in numbers, stay true to what their lore wants them to be. Obviously there was a major issue with the Earthspawn, or otherwise they wouldn't be getting removed.

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
Elves are sadly more-or-less humans that live longer, yeah. As for Dwarves, Caparii, and Halflings; there hasn't been enough people RPing as them for them to be RPed necessarily 'incorrectly'. If there has been, they aren't the major people everyone sees daily in the 'spotlight'. Most of the Dwarves that I see, for example; while very few in numbers, stay true to what their lore wants them to be. Obviously there was a major issue with the Earthspawn, or otherwise they wouldn't be getting removed.
People expected earthspawn to be massive brute giants, Which they are to be fair, But they kiiiiiinda overdid it, not gonna lie. 8'2 and stuff and Im here like :confused:

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Reason for the cut out edit of the lore there? Hard to tell what your trying to get across with that.
"standing between six and a half and seven feet"

Was backing up your point about Earthspawn being way too tall with some lore.

PitaChipBoi

Lord of Altera
Nut_Jooce
Nut_Jooce
extinction!
... Probably won't be bringing back Andro or Marg... both Earthspawn I've played in the last 3 months or so. Definately eliminating Andro, though.

Halfling master race?

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I've always felt that there are certain issues that, with multiple races, can be tackled very well and ultimately add to the world. If you ever read the Witcher series you'd know what I mean. I don't mean to say that humans with pointy ears is a bad thing when done correctly. Such is definitely the case with the Witcher, where racism is a very strong theme while it doesn't offend anyone because Elves and Dwarves simply don't exist in real world. Argument for clear gender roles and a sexist society in a fantasy world can be exactly the same. Themes that are difficult to tackle in an open debate in an increasingly echo chambered society. As for sexism, I advise against it on this server, since sexism is an issue that is very close to home, and I don't have to say why. I only used sexism as an example in a fantasy setting within far more controlled media such as books, films or games that aren't wholly controlled by the playerbase. However, the people of Altera seem to be far too acceptive of other races, which sure might essentially be the same but they look different and I can't imagine everyone being entirely happy with that. Yes while it's true all of those races fought against the common enemy back in the day, but that enemy has since been destroyed, and old friends should eventually come to realise that they're completely different and that's not always good.

I realise I'm rambling a bit, but hell, if Pyro's allowed a wall of text so am I. This is a free country after all!

Now onto my issue with special snowflake syndrome. (Snowflake is the best analogy for any human on the internet it makes me so happy aah. Because get it? We're all different and special, but that doesn't matter in a huge blizzard heeheehee it's beautiful. Whoever came up with it can have a medal). I do totally agree that removing a race gives the feeling special factor to people. I shouldn't remind everyone that Nakats suddenly started appearing out of nowhere as soon as the race disappeared (idk, their libido skyrocketed or something. Don't ask me).And yeah, Pyro's on the coin with the feel special factor. We all want to stand out in some way. I don't always agree that fantasy can be good with just humans. As I said above, multiple races can be very good for fantasy, but under one of two conditions:
1. If the theme of the fantasy world somehow depends on additional races (for example the aforementioned Witcher. Or the Hobbit, where existence of other races, like the Dwarves and Humans, create a very important dynamic).
2. If the races are completely different from one another. By saying that I mean they are completely different creatures. A good example of that would be Daughter of the Empire and the rest of the Empire trilogy. Not really any spoilers, but in it there is a race of insects that behave very much like ants/bees and produce silks and other rare commodities. Not only is this part of an important story mechanic, but it's also bloody awesome and completely different to the humans that inhabit the world.