Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Minty

Lord of Altera
AshenWanderer
AshenWanderer
Reyne cracks his neck and gets those hallucinations from regularly dropping bloom in his youth. (jk, jk...unless?)

Maybe more when I'm not a zombie.

Minty

Lord of Altera
AshenWanderer
AshenWanderer
So, seriously the coolest progression for a character I've ever had the opportunity to play. Mitch was the first friend I made here way back when, when he sent me this primer for the character- I just remembered all the crazy shit that we experienced together back in those early days (Often as brothers, oddly enough). Easily the best primer for a character I think I've ever read.

“Present me any of my father’s knights and I will kindly detail why I would rather have Reyne von Alderwood at my side. Borne of dust and dirt, yet made of finer heart than those gifted spoons of silver. There is a different courage in those who understand that they are owed no favours, willing to rise time again even when there is a boot planted upon their back. This is what I choose to trust with my life. My father knew the same, and it is not unlike what he saw in Reyne’s own before him. Perhaps it is some cruel act of fate that has tried our kinship in this way. To abandon the embrace of humble life and family, only to venture into an abyss of uncertainty, is a request that should be made of no man or woman. Despite any reason and without an inkling of doubt, Reyne was prepared to ride in the honour of my father. Our companionship echoed louder than drums of war, and I know his presence to be worth hundreds of bannermen. If it were not for his conviction, perhaps I would not have saddled my horse upon the dawn we departed from the castle. I might only have one kindred brother, but I need not blood to know that I’ve another. For this, I am eternally thankful.”

- Lothaire von Dugald.

Something about two boys willfully chasing after uncertainty itself was super interesting to explore. It set the stage for an eager young man facing the harsh realities of the world. Reyne became very stoic, taking on this duty-first mentality that saw him walking the earth with the closest thing he could call a family. Even early on, I began running with Reyne having this sharp inquisition to his stare- Someone who didn't rest much, letting his guard down for only a few along the road. Reyne acted like a hawk around Lothaire, looking around for anyone who may come near- Who might be listening, so on. He definitely felt like his calling in life was to follow, and it seemed to serve him well for a time.

I think a defining moment that changed Reyne was when he broke his sword on an excursion. He ended up in this absolute massacre, throwing back these waves of undead that just crashed into their fort's walls relentlessly. At some point, Reyne's sword was grabbed and cast aside. This was his first real taste of combat, it was by no means some opportunity to demonstrate ability- It was dirty, exhausting, and the group did whatever they could to survive. When it was all said and done, I remember Clement (Elt) and Reyne sharing this really intimate moment where they both looked at each other scared, exhausted, and confused. In this daze, Reyne and Clement waded through a literal sea of undead viscera to reclaim Reyne's one memento of home- a castle-forged sword of rather generic make. The one thing that reminded him of good times was now broken, I think it was pretty symbolic of what the character became- It was a god that exposed him to this horror.

Over time, this stoicism was definitely broken down by a group Reyne fell in with. A mismatched bunch of heathens who thought they'd strike after the gods who they felt controlled too much. This was something instilled in him by the man who gave him everything he knew in this life. Once again, he was chasing after the impossible, up to his knees in bloodied mud and ash. It was the closest thing to an actual family Reyne could ever dream of having. In this time, Reyne definitely wore his burdens on his sleeve. While the group toiled away to establish a camp, Reyne cast away the cloth and furs he did not earn and dressed himself in rags, lived in the mud, and shared what little food he had over a pitiful fire. In this time away from his brother, he found new ones and grew into his own person- Changed from being this shadow in Lothaire's footsteps, to someone the others could rely on.

When the Truth went north, Reyne began to learn from Wilhelm (AmbrosiaXIII) this is where he truly became the person he is today. They spent many evenings talking over a shared cigarello. Moving north cleaned the mud and ash away, he began to smile and see the beauty in life and companionship a lot more. Wil truly shifted Reyne's perspective, he wasn't meant to just follow in this life- He learned to stand for himself, act in his own interest.

When Wolfgang died, Reyne and Richard developed a deep bond. They certainly confided in each other and let their guard down around each other. There was a particular scene where they're pressing their skulls together in a tight embrace, vowing vengeance that solidified the fact that they both would not stand idle. The two took to connecting with their visions they saw while under the influence of Ashen Bloom. In a way, this became their ritual. Whether they had gone mad or they truly drew any wisdom from these visions is up for debate, but it makes for killer imagery. The tattoo of clutching gryphon claws at Reyne's throat was inspired directly by a vision that Richard and Reyne both shared. The two even trusted in these visions to guide them through the Battle of Oren, it emboldened them, they didn't see men in that field- They saw monsters. Towards the end of the battle, I recall Reyne staring up at Asher (blargtheawesome) like he was this demon clad in plate, familiar eyes offering a red hand. In my head, it was this really tragic thing where his faith wasn't placed in his lord's hand- Reyne wasn't sure of the bed he had made for himself.

Now, the Truth is dead and Reyne is picking up pieces to lay them to rest. He and Clement are trying to pass on the lessons they learned to the next generation- Perhaps without so much tragedy. Now, Reyne is grappling with the field he has sown over the years. There's a regret he has in seeing Halvar nowadays and an obligation to Lothaire's rat-daughter. (AionTbird Hannah)

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
So, seriously the coolest progression for a character I've ever had the opportunity to play. Mitch was the first friend I made here way back when, when he sent me this primer for the character- I just remembered all the crazy shit that we experienced together back in those early days (Often as brothers, oddly enough). Easily the best primer for a character I think I've ever read.

“Present me any of my father’s knights and I will kindly detail why I would rather have Reyne von Alderwood at my side. Borne of dust and dirt, yet made of finer heart than those gifted spoons of silver. There is a different courage in those who understand that they are owed no favours, willing to rise time again even when there is a boot planted upon their back. This is what I choose to trust with my life. My father knew the same, and it is not unlike what he saw in Reyne’s own before him. Perhaps it is some cruel act of fate that has tried our kinship in this way. To abandon the embrace of humble life and family, only to venture into an abyss of uncertainty, is a request that should be made of no man or woman. Despite any reason and without an inkling of doubt, Reyne was prepared to ride in the honour of my father. Our companionship echoed louder than drums of war, and I know his presence to be worth hundreds of bannermen. If it were not for his conviction, perhaps I would not have saddled my horse upon the dawn we departed from the castle. I might only have one kindred brother, but I need not blood to know that I’ve another. For this, I am eternally thankful.”

- Lothaire von Dugald.

Something about two boys willfully chasing after uncertainty itself was super interesting to explore. It set the stage for an eager young man facing the harsh realities of the world. Reyne became very stoic, taking on this duty-first mentality that saw him walking the earth with the closest thing he could call a family. Even early on, I began running with Reyne having this sharp inquisition to his stare- Someone who didn't rest much, letting his guard down for only a few along the road. Reyne acted like a hawk around Lothaire, looking around for anyone who may come near- Who might be listening, so on. He definitely felt like his calling in life was to follow, and it seemed to serve him well for a time.

I think a defining moment that changed Reyne was when he broke his sword on an excursion. He ended up in this absolute massacre, throwing back these waves of undead that just crashed into their fort's walls relentlessly. At some point, Reyne's sword was grabbed and cast aside. This was his first real taste of combat, it was by no means some opportunity to demonstrate ability- It was dirty, exhausting, and the group did whatever they could to survive. When it was all said and done, I remember Clement (Elt) and Reyne sharing this really intimate moment where they both looked at each other scared, exhausted, and confused. In this daze, Reyne and Clement waded through a literal sea of undead viscera to reclaim Reyne's one memento of home- a castle-forged sword of rather generic make. The one thing that reminded him of good times was now broken, I think it was pretty symbolic of what the character became- It was a god that exposed him to this horror.

Over time, this stoicism was definitely broken down by a group Reyne fell in with. A mismatched bunch of heathens who thought they'd strike after the gods who they felt controlled too much. This was something instilled in him by the man who gave him everything he knew in this life. Once again, he was chasing after the impossible, up to his knees in bloodied mud and ash. It was the closest thing to an actual family Reyne could ever dream of having. In this time, Reyne definitely wore his burdens on his sleeve. While the group toiled away to establish a camp, Reyne cast away the cloth and furs he did not earn and dressed himself in rags, lived in the mud, and shared what little food he had over a pitiful fire. In this time away from his brother, he found new ones and grew into his own person- Changed from being this shadow in Lothaire's footsteps, to someone the others could rely on.

When the Truth went north, Reyne began to learn from Wilhelm (AmbrosiaXIII) this is where he truly became the person he is today. They spent many evenings talking over a shared cigarello. Moving north cleaned the mud and ash away, he began to smile and see the beauty in life and companionship a lot more. Wil truly shifted Reyne's perspective, he wasn't meant to just follow in this life- He learned to stand for himself, act in his own interest.

When Wolfgang died, Reyne and Richard developed a deep bond. They certainly confided in each other and let their guard down around each other. There was a particular scene where they're pressing their skulls together in a tight embrace, vowing vengeance that solidified the fact that they both would not stand idle. The two took to connecting with their visions they saw while under the influence of Ashen Bloom. In a way, this became their ritual. Whether they had gone mad or they truly drew any wisdom from these visions is up for debate, but it makes for killer imagery. The tattoo of clutching gryphon claws at Reyne's throat was inspired directly by a vision that Richard and Reyne both shared. The two even trusted in these visions to guide them through the Battle of Oren, it emboldened them, they didn't see men in that field- They saw monsters. Towards the end of the battle, I recall Reyne staring up at Asher (blargtheawesome) like he was this demon clad in plate, familiar eyes offering a red hand. In my head, it was this really tragic thing where his faith wasn't placed in his lord's hand- Reyne wasn't sure of the bed he had made for himself.

Now, the Truth is dead and Reyne is picking up pieces to lay them to rest. He and Clement are trying to pass on the lessons they learned to the next generation- Perhaps without so much tragedy. Now, Reyne is grappling with the field he has sown over the years. There's a regret he has in seeing Halvar nowadays and an obligation to Lothaire's rat-daughter. (AionTbird Hannah)
this was really cool to read ty for writing it

hayhaiya

Official Alteran
Patron
Pronouns
She/Her
HayHai
HayHai
Patron
I haven’t been playing Eirlys too long, so there’s still a lot to figure out about her, and she’s my most complex character to date. I tend to describe her character creation as ‘throwing a bunch of old characters in a blender and seeing what comes out’, because it’s honestly true. Often when I create characters, I tend to iterate on old characters whose stories I never had a chance to finish. Typically this creates a genealogy of sorts, where I can trace character lineages through different settings as the one loose concept evolves.

The thing which makes Eirlys unique is that I had absolutely 0 idea what sort of character I wanted to play, so instead of iterating on just one old concept, I drew inspiration from… so many, consciously and unconsciously. So, I thought it would be fun to delve into some of the past characters who were thoroughly blended, starting with what I view as the two major inspirations.

First off is Veneres. Technically, Ven is a character I’m still playing, not an old character, but she definitely influenced Eir’s creation, so shush. Veneres is played in a Pathfinder 2e game, and she’s a brawny, charismatic swashbuckler with an intensely vibrant and fun loving personality. She lives in the moment, enjoys the feeling of living in a physical world, moving her body in danger, the rush of a fight, that feeling of the frailty of your own existence as you stand back up to take just one more blow. She’s been accused of having a death wish, and she’s most certainly an adrenaline junkie at the very least. But for her, life is best lived pursuing whatever makes you feel most alive. To suppress your own wants and desires and to avoid doing what you wish to in the moment is anathema to her.

Eirlys draws from Veneres in her pleasure seeking ways and the free-spirited, bold, and energetic way in which she tackles things in life. Pursuing her own desires is the only thing that Eirlys currently cares about, her own amusement, her own fun, doing what she wills, others be damned. She also does enjoy the feeling of strength and power that comes from knowing how to fight, but she is just beginning her journey as far as physical combat goes. The final major trait inherited from Ven, Eirlys wishes she didn’t have, and so hides it as much as she can. But, underneath the surface, Eirlys’s emotions are like a storm at sea, painfully intense, ever shifting, pushing and pulling in all directions, chaos and calamity that she refuses to accept.

Where Eirlys differs is that Veneres as a character is simply straightforward; Ven has a moral center that drives her goals, and while she is able to be deceptive when she must, she would much rather tell things to you straight than to lie, even to the detriment of her own safety. Furthermore, while both are social, Eirlys does not care about people, whereas Veneres forms connections quickly and cares intensely for those with whom she does so.

Moving onto our second major influence, we have Avea. Avea’s an interesting one, because I only played her for a total of one week, and yet she left such an impression on me that she remains in my memory, whereas other characters played far longer are completely forgotten. Avea was a high elf of unknown origin who dressed like a priest and spoke like a noble, a purposeful enigma, and a subtly guiding presence in the lives of those she touched. While not malicious, she was a manipulator, incredibly skilled at getting people to do what she wanted, to think what she wanted, luring people in through the allure of mystery and the desire to understand her, while almost never giving things away. I think by the end of that week, I had 2.5 characters wrapped around her fingers, with one already confessing love for her.

Shockingly enough, Eirlys’s manipulative side comes from Avea. Everything is masked, nothing is revealed, poke and prod at others to understand them, to know them, to change them how you wish to. People are incredibly simple, and yet infinitely complex, and this dual nature captivates the interest of both women to the point of near obsession.

Where Eirlys differs from Avea goes back to where she is similar to Veneres. Avea’s emotions were very dull, subtle in expression, whereas Eirlys tends to be a bit more expressive, even if still as manipulative. Avea was also… frail, requiring others to protect her, whilst Eir likes to think she can take care of herself, and is working in order to make that an actual reality. Avea was also far less malicious than Eir is, Eir gains her enjoyment in part from upsetting those around her, whereas Avea was far more driven by curiosity alone. Avea’s was a soft touch; Eirlys’s touch is frequently anything but.

Hmm. I think I will stick with those two for now, I wrote far too many words already. Perhaps in the future I’ll do a followup post with moderate-minor influences, if the mood strikes me! We’ll see.

Juvix_

Lord of Altera
Legend
Juvix_
Juvix_
Legend
- slapping thread -

give me more, i wanna read them tomorrow
(for new people, check 1st post)

hayhaiya

Official Alteran
Patron
Pronouns
She/Her
HayHai
HayHai
Patron
I will make another post months later if no one else does. This is a threat, you don't want to listen to me gush about Eirlys more.

Book

Loyal Servant of Altera
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, She/Her, They/Them
Bookwormpower
Bookwormpower
Patron
I struggle a lot with describing my characters in a concise fashion that makes sense and accurately displays their personality; sometimes I worry that my characters (my scholarly ones, at least) are carbon copies of each other, but I am slowly accepting that that’s okay. I like to roleplay nerds. Usually nerd elves. ANYWAYS Elthea.

Elthea was brand new for HW, I didn’t spend much time planning her. However, I do have a few ticks of hers that sort of naturally came about: her ears twitch when vaguely annoyed, she rubs at her face when she’s thinking hard or is exasperated, and she smiles A LOT. Like a lot a lot. I want to be happier IRL, so I’m forcing my characters to be happy people. It’s free therapy.

A few fun facts about Elthea now. One would be that she absolutely hates vyres. She was attacked by Irrukh, and has never had a good interaction with a vyre she’s aware of. She’s also not overly fond of greylings because of Irrukh. Thanks Irrukh!
A second fun fact is that, despite my beginning passion with her in astronomy, she is losing interest in the subject. There’s a few reasons for this, but she’s lost the childlike wonder, the love for them. She still enjoys stargazing, but she’s not as fervent about it. Same with a lot of her more workaholic tendencies. She’s on her self focus arc!
My main aesthetic for her that’s not really represented ICly (yet) is eldritch horror. We’ll see if I can start to reflect that, one day!

I have a second character named Rhysand but his personality is still really up in the air. I need to sit down one of these days and plan him out better.. Oh well. The one thing I can say is that he’s not a thot. That’s all.

AionTbird

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
Halvar is a doozy for me, I’ve not written down a lot of his quirks or what have you so I’m bound to miss some things. Just gonna go down the list. Spoilers ahead for folks that don’t want to find out too much about him ooc.

Ticks: Halvar is a fidgeter. His hands cannot keep still. This manifests regularly in a whole lot of things. Picking at the loose threads of his clothing, picking at his gloves, or fidgeting with loose jewelry and the like. When he becomes aware of this, he tucks his arms against his chest and presses his hands between to hold himself still. Also, Halvar is an open book if you take more than a second to look at him. His jaw tenses when he is angry or tense, his eyes wander if he’s unsure, there's some more but you get the idea. His eyes tell a great many secrets about what the Varyn might be thinking about.

The way Halvar speaks has changed quite a bit over my time playing him. Something that’s not changed, though, is that he’s relatively slow to respond. He takes a shameless amount of time to think about what he wants to say and when he speaks, he’s prone to meshing his words together in common. This habit was likely taken from his urchin days in the Landing. In Rede, he’s a bit more distinct and formal, copying the way his father used to speak.

I think for this character, I’m most proud that I didn’t do a lot of ‘off server deciding’ when figuring out his character traits and decisions. Most, if not all, of the decisions made for this character’s personality, career, and skillset came from characters that he’s interacted with and events that he’s participated in.

Thinking about what he does when nobody is around was a fairly fun thing to do as I’ve never really thought about it. What a lot of strangers don’t exactly realize about Halvar is that he’s a child of heretics and this shows quite a bit in his personal time. He’s a witch, and he does a lot of witchy things. He’s got a gross lair filled to the brim with bits and bobs of creatures and fiends that he’s collected to use as effigies or totems in his spells. A lot of his time is spent beneath his forge in his sanctum, experimenting with planar entities to try and produce new effects and determine the differences between his old magic and the now. One of the biggest differences that he continues to feel and try to move past is anima empathy. His mind was always so muddled between his own emotions and the emotions of others that he became very unsure and unaware about how he truly feels at a given time. This manifests a couple different ways. Before, he was always sure if someone was content or happy with what he was doing so now he goes out of his way to do extra for those he cares about… just to be sure. He was very reliant on this ability to sense what another was feeling so he’s become very insecure about his ability to read others and about how he is feeling himself.

Views: Halvar has been whipped back and forth across the spectrum of belief and heresy many times over the course of his life. Halvar is a firm believer that one should never have something above oneself. Never giving himself to a master or a god or anything of the sort. This belief began with his time in the AT and the mindset of his father’s and others that made Drachenhort their home. Upon his father’s death and his subsequent adoption by his older cousin Bennett, he quickly began to be flooded by the beliefs of his friends and the company he kept. Halvar has kept the company of the exalts of Theodra, The Grey Lady, Valiant, and Ignis, so he has heard a good variety of faiths and the way they are kept. He’s never exactly been stuck with the idea, but his ideas about the gods were softened in this company. Then, soon after his time with Bennett, he was taken in by Lilith and Lothaire. The majority of Halvar’s learnings came from this time. This is where he learned about Magic, the figment, and Animancy the practice. He learned the ability to hold control over something for the first time in his life. He was sparked. Though this sense of control came with many things that he could not. His emotions were constantly in a state of disarray due to his knack, the realm’s view of mages pressed into his mind almost constantly, and the fear of judgment was near constant in public settings. This is why he wears gloves, to hide the brand upon his palm marking him as a mage. He’s become a lot more confident in this as he’s progressed as a character, but it’s still a gnawing worry for the man. After the shift in magic, Halvar took a good amount of time in isolation to attempted to recover his sense of self. He didn’t leave his home often and much of his time was spent either smithing for commission or working in lumber yards as a hired hand. Anyhow. He’s still figuring it out.

And thats Halvar.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Hi, Juvix and people who read this :)

This is not about a character, but about my first real-life homemade D&D campaign that I'm creating. I really would like to talk about it, but nobody I know understands D&D, and those who do, well, they're playing the campaign so that'd be spoilers. I hope you're okay with me talking about the campaign instead of a character, but when I saw this thread I just felt compelled to finally share my hype haha

The world is called Roya. One of the players came up with it. It's supposed to mean dream in some foreign language. I've taken inspiration from a Reddit post where the players were all new to D&D and the DM just said: "You all lost your memories. All you know is your name." That way new players aren't so overwhelmed by the hundreds of things they need to know and can learn them one by one. So the three people I play with all have a character with their class and some basic stats, but that's all they know. We did a game in December; the same horror mystery Christmas event I hosted on HW yeeeeaaaars ago, but translated into D&D. It was their first impression of D&D and my first try at DMing outside of Minecraft. We all liked it and they further fleshed out their characters, keeping the loss of memory in mind, but giving me handles to work with to make a campaign. Tonight we will play for real for the first time as part of this larger campaign.

The campaign is of course about them getting to know who they really are and along the way, they'll start realizing there's a threat lurking within Roya that needs to be addressed, but they won't be able to do anything about it until they know who they are, and where their powers lie, by having visited their roots.

IMG_20230302_142822.jpg

I created a map of the environment for this campaign and put a rhyming riddle on the back of it in Dutch, which translates to: "That which is filled with light, will be revealed in the darkness." which means they have to hold the map up to the lamp, then turn off all the lights and with glow-in-the-dark I've put 3 fingerprints on 3 different cities. Those will be the towns where each of them grew up or spent most of their lives. Those will then become the first 3 places they have to travel to and each of the characters will discover who they are, by becoming who they want to be. I've only set up loose ties and a general indication of their history. The players will slowly come to understand that they have got their own hand on the wheel and can direct their character to wherever and whoever and whatever they want.

I imagined they'd be stuck in the cold north after their first little adventure during the Christmas holidays, so the only place out of the three indicated through the glow-in-the-dark puzzle that they can reach will be the biggest town on the map: Velkor (unnamed on the map, cause the place where the name would be is conveniently exactly where the hole is in the middle). They will spend a good many sessions in Velkor, as their main quest will be to acquire a boat and a crew to sail to the other places, while simultaneously one of the characters gets to discover who he really is.

This player who grew up in Velkor chose to be a rogue and a thief, so I've given him the backstory that he was so successful at stealing things that he crippled the entire town after taking almost all the valuables. He will discover this by the reactions of the people he meets. The town Velkor is ruled by a council of guilds and the group will have to use these different guilds as a means to achieving their main quest goal; getting transport. Each guild will be able to give them transport in the end, in their own ways: magicguild will teleport, craftsmen guild will build a boat, etc.. Each guild has an alignment, a way they feel about the other guilds, and most importantly; a history with the rogue.

The 'distribuition guild' is a thieves guild of lawful evil. The rogue was once head of the guild, but it was so obvious he was a thief, the guild was frowned upon by all others and nobody wanted to work with them. The new leader that arose after the rogue left has made it so that the guild has become respectable. They have cunningly become the guild responsible for law and punishment, making it legal for guildmembers to steal and disguising the act of stealing as a necessary redistribution of wealth for the equality of the citizens of Velkor. That sort of thing. You can imagine that some of the guildmembers regard the rogue as a hero and want to go back to the old ways, while others are really not happy with the rogue's return.

The distribution guild is just one of the many guilds in Velkor. Some work well together, others prefer to be isolated, while again others might hate 1 particular guild and be very close to another. The group has to work their way through the troubles of the guilds and choose which one to help. By helping one guild, they gain favor there, while losing favor at other guilds. If they can't make up their minds about who to help and end up helping them all, they will in the end not have made any net progress at all. They'll have to become guild members, attend the council, and then help one guild enough to earn their goal; transport. How do they become guild members? By doing favors of course!

In the picture above are the dice my girlfriend bought. She's one of the players. The other two are the rogue and his girlfriend, who also chose to be a druid. So it's an interesting group and I'm making this campaign especially tailored to this group. For now, all I worked on has been this map and the map of Velkor. Once they've managed to acquire their transport and decided which location to visit next, I'll start developing materials for that area :)

Hope you liked the read! I'm so happy I finally get to share this with someone haha

Mudpaw11

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Patron
Staff
Mudpaw11
Mudpaw11
Patron
(I'm going to also follow Bart and gush about someone outside of Hollowworld but it's still a character so I'm counting it)

As some of you likely know, I write on my freetime, and have been working for some time on a story with the placeholder name "Cordelia". This is actually where Connor first comes from but I want to gush about his brother Finn because he is a character with way more symbolism than will ever go noticed.

This is who we're talking about today:
1678502343207.png
---
1678503834597.png
As a character Finn is rather reserved and quiet so he doesn't talk much about himself when the narrative takes his point of view
Because of this, the reader learns more about Finn from descriptions of others and there is clear bias in them

Connor describes his brother as a nearly perfect, he's skilled, he's well liked, but he doesn't know what he wants and does what he thinks he has to. The last point more in reference to him joining the knights as Connor believes he was just doing it because he thinks it's what their father/others would've wanted him to do.

Merry, his fiancée, describes him mainly as being socially oblivious and unintentionally funny because of it. She thinks he's too formal and needs to get out and talk to the common man a bit more.

The antagonist of the story describes him as a copy of his father, the two looking very similar. Finn's quietness now described as emotionless and stoic. What Merry describes as social awkwardness is now described as entitlement- he's just above all of them.

People he's never met seem to already know him either as a knight, a Hayden, or a Noble who looks a whole lot like his dad

In the entire story he's probably called 'Finn' the least out of all of that. He had no individuality to people, he was a role, a trope, a category easily summarized.

He wasn't anyone special.

(The drawing being his eye compared to his fathers)

----

Now why do I bring all of this up-?
Well firstly because I like to gush about my characters but also because in some of his more recent art I of him I've begun to try and convey this. Whether be wearing a helmet or a mask, or by having his face is just visually obscured otherwise

1678504313515.png1678504338265.png1678504371132.png

I do still have plenty of drawings with his face but sometimes it's just a fun little detail I like to add when figuring out compositions (....definitely not cause drawing faces are hard)

But yeah uh...

Other small symbols/writing details aside from masks:

> White Lilies: I use the flower in his art a lot because he's assumed by others to be dead through his whole story and white lilies all about like rebirth (reclaiming his identity) and typically also associated with funerals and weddings both of which he gets at some point
1678504924921.png1678504970680.png

> Temperature: Just stick with me I promise it makes sense (or not). In Finn's story a way he tends to describe things familiar or a comfort to him as cold. "The water was cold and refreshing." "His eyes were grey and cold, it reminded him of his father's" "A cold breeze" Etc. etc. Whether it's picked up or not by any reader I just like using this hint if the scene is in his favour or not. At one point he's kidnapped and the place he's taken to is freezing. He's not in the best situation immediately but it foreshadows that this is going to be his playing field. There are other captives around and he knows how to be a leader and boost moral, he has familiarity here. Comparatively there is a fire in one scene, heat and smoke, he has no control, nothing to ground himself with and ends up losing the confrontation with the antagonist.

> Death: Similar to the flower it's all a foreshadowing to Finn's eventual defeat that leads to people believing he died, Finn uses death as an adjective for a lot of things. "The sun died over the horizon" "The dying light from a candle"

Last edited:

Sir Saltington

Lord of Altera
My turn my turn! I'm bringing it back to hollowworld with my new character: Gaelwyn

Alright so, Gaelwyn has a couple of fun things going on with him. I'll split it between a couple sections, starting with:

Spear related ticks:

- So something that a person would notice if they've rped with Gaelwyn is that he always carries his spear with him everywhere he goes, and most importantly, it is either always in his hand, touching his body, or in certain circumstances, well within his reach. This guy eats with his spear, sleeps with his spear, and yes, even bathes with his spear. I wanted to emphasis that this spear is a very real physical object in the world that he has to accommodate for, and that he cares deeply for it.
- Now for the fun fact of the day: When Gaelwyn really trusts a person, he will set his spear aside. It is not something he mentions, only something he does. Of course this doesn't happen if others are around, or if there is a special circumstance where he has to put down his spear.

Water themed intricacies:
- Gaelwyn had the misfortune, or fortune, to become waterblessed when he was a teenager. This has caused a couple of changes to come about. First and foremost, his eyes aren't naturally blue, they're silver. His eyes turned blue when he got possessed, and if someone stares into his eyes for long enough (and I mean for longer than is normally acceptable), a person notices that the blue of his eyes swirl very slowly like a lazy river. The best part is that he only recently learned about this in rp. (Suspend your disbelief please)
- The other way he has changed is the way he handles his emotions. Before the waterblessing, he was a fairly emotional teenager. Now that he is older, and has been living with it for a long time, Gaelwyn carries himself with a constant level of calm, almost to the point of strangeness. I like to think of it as a blanket of water over his emotions, and so you'll have little waves from emotions just barely peaking the surface, but something very emotional would need to happen for him to show his emotion: think of it like having to break the surface tension of the water.
- Since he has been living with the waterblessing for so long, it has bled into his very nature. He acts, thinks, moves, and so on through the lens of how water would act, would be, would see. If he ever lost his blessing, there would be quite a bit of whiplash and a long learning period.

Shackles of nobility:
- Gaelwyn is not nobility, but, his parents had groomed him for it. Part of him despises this will forced onto him, but that part of him is buried deep. And so, this is why he is so polite, why he is kind, why he gives so much and attempts to take so little. All for the sake of acting noble; all for the sake of becoming one in the future, as his parents wished.
- Gaelwyn does not have a last name because he is not nobility. His parents emphasized that he can only earn a last name by ascending the social ranks, and once that happened, he could pick any last name he chose.
- Tying this with the waterblessing; Gaelwyn found that him getting possessed was, pun intended, a blessing in disguise. It helped him be more like a 'proper' silver elf. It helped him focus, and stay calm, and continue on even if he did not like the task at hand.

Anyway, that is all I got to share. Thank you for reading!

Juvix_

Lord of Altera
Legend
Juvix_
Juvix_
Legend
While I start uni and get used to things, y'all get back into this and update me on your characters, NOW

New people, read the original post and start typing

Jase

"Something need doing?"
Legend
I recently refound a cooking book that I wrote when I was playing my jester character Flatulence.

I wrote it ... 4(?) years ago?

It was rendered in poetry and contained 2 recipes for 'food'. And as I read it now, a few years into the future, it is better written than it should've been.