Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Kerbal Space Program

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
yeah I have not unlocked lights yet. Also notice the fuel
Vaguely looks like the scenario where you have to avoid landing on Mun?

I managed to bypass Mun, but didn't have enough fuel to be able to burn my way back to Kerbin.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Vaguely looks like the scenario where you have to avoid landing on Mun?

I managed to bypass Mun, but didn't have enough fuel to be able to burn my way back to Kerbin.
Nope that is career mode. Mr Kerman is stuck there for a bit.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Behold! Altera Aeronautics X, the tenth model launched and the first vehicle on a Minmus mission. I was originally going to use Altera Aeronautics VIII for the Minmus mission, but it was adapted for the first Mun landing.

screenshot13.png

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Update: The AAX has sufficient fuel reserves that with some clever maneuvering a Mun encounter was managed on the Minmus return. Jeb, crewing the vessel, is going to attempt the first Mun landing in a ship built for Minmus and back. Exciting times!

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Final update: Jeb landed the AAX in the Mun's Northwest Crater, did the science jig, and came home. There was a bit of a hairy moment when I realized the ship was going to land in Altera's highest mountain range instead of the plains. The moment got hairier when the chutes didn't deploy, since the altitude wasn't correctly geared despite the ground being way closer.

In the end, the chutes deployed and the AAX slowed to 10m/s, that last bit being pushed to 4m/s by the last gasp of fuel in the ship's engine before a solid touchdown on the landing legs. Upright landing, on land, with no damage to any parts throughout the mission (except the jettison stages and booster tanks of the AAX which got ditched on a parabolic trajectory into the Mun). Total science gain 1600, and nuclear engines and larger craft are now unlocked, along with better science gear.

Next: to Eve!

And all this after Jeb had been stuck in orbit on the AA III, which was designed only to orbit and survey Kerbin. He got stuck following a glitch where he couldn't re-enter the pod, and was forced to drift along with it for close to a week before I took control of him again, hoping the power on the ship had died. He had drifted 1.5km from the ship at this point and I had to pilot him with his EVA pack (which was at 50%) all that distance so he could get back in his ship, return to Kerbin, and fly the AAX.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
And all this after Jeb had been stuck in orbit on the AA III, which was designed only to orbit and survey Kerbin. He got stuck following a glitch where he couldn't re-enter the pod, and was forced to drift along with it for close to a week before I took control of him again, hoping the power on the ship had died. He had drifted 1.5km from the ship at this point and I had to pilot him with his EVA pack (which was at 50%) all that distance so he could get back in his ship, return to Kerbin, and fly the AAX.
to fix the bug quit to the space center then tracking station him

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Yeah, Really annoying if I can't get high enough anymore for 3 Atmic engines to create an orbit around Kerbin.
Looks like they really want me to build my ship in space and refuel it in orbit before setting off for eve.

Sadly my current lander can't even get to the mun thanks to that :(

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Erk :/

Read some guides, would you? The game's learning curve is incredibly steep.

Also, nuclear engines aren't worth the fuel they burn until you're already in orbit. They're unmatchable when it comes to efficiency in orbit (except for the ion engine), but in atmo they're worthless.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
They are worth as soon as you are out in space ;), and everything worked fine before that 13 mb patch - My lander has even been on Minimus before it and it is notably a 2 man lander ;)

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Fun fact: solar panels become exponentially more powerful as you head in-system. While on an Eve rendezvous my power generation went from 20 per panel up to 50. And this is Eve, not Moho or low Kerbol orbit.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Every time I try this, my creation explodes on the launch pad. Perhaps I don't know what I'm doing... But it's still:
Approval.png

Ray1333

Lord of Altera
Don't worry Squidward, you aren't alone. Mine blow up on the runway.

...sometimes when launched from the pad...