Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Kerbal Space Program

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
I would say that the safest orbit is around the same level as Moho's. Anything under that is exponetially more difficult

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I would say that the safest orbit is around the same level as Moho's. Anything under that is exponetially more difficult
Ironically you can go up to 12 000 km before a sputnick burns up, might have been 120'000 though.

Speed during that sun flight was 85km/s btw lol

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
You can reduce the delta v cost by doing multiple burns and taking advantage of the Oberth effect.

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
The Oberth effect is using a celestial body's gravitational pull to slingshot yourself around, isn't it?

Like, instead of flying in front of the moon, you fly behind it, so its gravity will pull you along and give you a speed boost with less fuel, right?

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
The Oberth effect is using a celestial body's gravitational pull to slingshot yourself around, isn't it?

Like, instead of flying in front of the moon, you fly behind it, so its gravity will pull you along and give you a speed boost with less fuel, right?
Thats what I said then :p

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Nope. That's a gravitational slingshot. The Oberth effect is the effect of having to spend far less fuel to accomplish orbital change, which happens at peak velocity, i.e. at periapsis. You can slow down dramatically or increase apoapsis far higher than you could at any other point of your orbit.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Hmmm how can I get past the mun btw?
I always only manage to get to the sun no matter how well I aim a direct burn to other planets oO

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
That happens automatically if you set them as target.
For some reason though i always end up hitting the suns orbit if I try anything but the mun oO

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
You can only shoot for the planets at certain times of the year, when the transfer window becomes available.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Yeah I found out that maneuver mode is quiete useful, even though i never land in the approach angles it wants me too (or at least not where it wants me to lol). Too bad I forgot to extend the solar panels, if I hadn't I could have landed that probe on Minimus :/

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
I never really was able to use the maneuver mode properly. I'm starting to get the hang of it, after doing a proper mission :)

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I can't do it properly either.
Still it helped me getting my lander probe to minimus and it alreadey starts transmitting data back :D - I was in such a good flight position thanks to it I would have even encountered the mun too if I'd just contued my journey instead of getting to Minimus :D
Well, if you excuse me I need to use all the data MP-1 is transmitting to get ION stuff

Those Atomic engines are more useful than I previously thought lol