Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Languages of the Northern Kingdoms

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Be it an official lingo?
It has the same roots as the normal human tongue, but just as French and Spanish (who also happen to be both derived from Latin), it is different and moderately intelligible if you don't learn it. However, it is fairly easy to learn and is not a complicated language that need weeks of practice, almost as easy as learning English.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
almost as easy as learning English.
Try telling that to the HUNDREDS OF PUPILS AT MY SCHOOL WHO CANNOT WRITE A WHOLE PAGE WITHOUT SOME GRAMMATICAL OR SPELLING ERRORS.

Yoda dislikes bad grammar and spelling. Not a jest, either, I actually complained to the teacher when there was an extra gap when the space bar had been used, that is, one press of it too many.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Try telling that to the HUNDREDS OF PUPILS AT MY SCHOOL WHO CANNOT WRITE A WHOLE PAGE WITHOUT SOME GRAMMATICAL OR SPELLING ERRORS.

Yoda dislikes bad grammar and spelling. Not a jest, either, I actually complained to the teacher when there was an extra gap when the space bar had been used, that is, one press of it too many.
'Scuze me sirbrodude, but French and any other Latin language is way harder to learn then English...

Jupa15

Settling in Altera
If a book of magic was found lying in the woods what laughable would it be????
Other then his Spelling mistake, What WOULD it be? I mean, i guess it could be any Language With a magic History. (meaning it cant be English, cause i havent seen Some one say FIRE! and a ship burst into flames.) All i know is i prefer One common language Know by everything (including matter and energy.) Although, The ability to understand does not come bundled With the ability to -Speak- it. Also, Such language Would require and extreme mental, psychical and Verbal ability To use. And the fact that anything living would have the ability to resist Your commands, since they have more will then say, a dead twig. And it would have a recoil if done incorrectly. e.g. Attempting to light a -living- tree on fire and it doesn't et you, Were do you think that Power is going to go? Bounce back. Now im tempted to make such language and a huge library.... *sigh* off to the lore i go....To fit everything together like a puzzle then add the languages that some how relate to thi- ... Does any one want to help me? before i kill myself thinking of it?

EDIT: Read the Magick Post, all my work lays to rest...for now..

Flowster12345

Lord of Altera
...So now that I've read all of this, I'd like to quickly ask a question:

If a person has fluently learned a language like verba from the natives and has spent years deeply immersed in the language, why couldn't he or she try to then teach it to another person? If anything, I'd think the experience of having learned it as a second language would make it easier to teach it, knowing which parts are harder to understand and which mistakes are common for a new speaker.

Also, could such a person at least teach a few words and phrases to others? For example, could a person learn broken verba from a non-nakat who speaks good verba, and would this also be true of the other languages here? The way it's listed in the original post, it seems like a character can't learn even a little bit of one of those languages unless it's directly from a native speaker, which seems unrealistic.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Flowster12345
's mostly to prevent metagaming. We have a set people who can teach Verba, and they're all Nakam. Whee, efficiency!
But... It still makes no sense in Altera. If someone's character is speaking Verba and you suspect it's through illegitimate means, you can just ask them ooc how the character learnt it, surely?
The train wouldn't be too hard to follow back, if you then distrust their response.

Just, say Ced's confronted by someone in Common saying, "hey, what does 'hello' mean in Verba?" Ced doesn't give a caber toss about protecting the language, so what, in reality, is to stop him from simply saying <hello>?

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
I think it is to keep a track off who knows the language, well, maybe..

You don't want someone to go "I know Verba!" and it being so far along the I was taught by him who was taught by him train that there is no way of verifying if he can or not..

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
I think it is to keep a track off who knows the language, well, maybe..

You don't want someone to go "I know Verba!" and it being so far along the I was taught by him who was taught by him train that there is no way of verifying if he can or not..
Why don't we make it that say, three people down the line, it's gone through some weird Chinese-whisper scenario and the accent/dialect is so jumbled by non-Nakam mouths that it's barely recognisable as Verba?

That and the fact that (and correct me if I'm wrong Michcat), Nakam should not be teaching people Verba, unless on mega super rare occasions, if love is involved etc. Isn't it generally a shameful thing to do so?

Edit - And as far as I'm aware the it is the same for the Dwarven language. Hell, it should be the same for Elven, but mreh, Elves are just RPed as pointy-eared Humans these days.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Nakam should not be teaching people Verba

This is indeed accurate, and all the current Nakam are aware of this. The only exceptions were Baz'neh and Eminu, on account of being around so long, but Baz'neh has vanished and Eminu is too... broken, so thats out of the way.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
Why don't we make it that say, three people down the line, it's gone through some weird Chinese-whisper scenario and the accent/dialect is so jumbled by non-Nakam mouths that it's barely recognisable as Verba?

That and the fact that (and correct me if I'm wrong Michcat), Nakam should not be teaching people Verba, unless on mega super rare occasions, if love is involved etc. Isn't it generally a shameful thing to do so?

Edit - And as far as I'm aware the it is the same for the Dwarven language. Hell, it should be the same for Elven, but mreh, Elves are just RPed as pointy-eared Humans these days.

I take offence

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
*spam clicks "agree"*
Some folk need to read the looooore~
It's getting to the point where I feel one of those infamous whiny Ced rants coming on in the roleplay discussion thread :I

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
It's getting to the point where I feel one of those infamous whiny Ced rants coming on in the roleplay discussion thread :I

RANT NOW. DO IT. RANT.

-K9