Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Location, Location, Location

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
So long as Harvendirs borders are close too Diaedors, preferably on the same island and to the south I'm good :)

Last edited:

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
Originally I was looking at that Korean looking peninsula to the far east of the map, but now that I look at how big territories are I'm not too sure, I want to stay small-ish. So far, the land I'm looking for should...
  • Be an island or a series of islands.
  • And be near other "asian" nationstates.
Anyone care to offer some ideas?

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
Imdolia is based on Tuva/Mongols. You can live near us! C;
Sounds good. Here's my claim then. I wish it was further from the shore, but it's an island in the soon to be "asian" region it seems. gfokf22.jpg

Edit: My city will be located in the "highest" tile in my territory, in other words, the north of the main isle.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
A compiliation of all claims and capitals thus far:
Territorial Map.jpg
So long as Harvendirs borders are close to Diaedors, preferably on the same island and to the south I'm good :)
I went ahead and placed you on the southern end of that continent and put your capital on a hill by the river with the mountains at its back. Let me know if this suits you!

So far, the map is looking pretty good, though you can see that the majority of nations have blue and/or red as the main color on their flags.

I do have to say, though, that some nations are in really, really good shape, right now. Some of these nations have no one else within a thousand miles!

I also have to say I'm a bit surprised that no one's gone for the deserts, yet. I expected the deserts to be hotly contended, considering half of all the old nations wanted one.

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
Territorial Map.jpg
the top right is where I would like Nicronica to be, the capital being Nicea, by the small lake inside that territory marked with black line [Im not good with paint, sorry]

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
How will expanding be done @Lord_Sinclair?
Brogan, did you even bother to read Sinclair's claiming rules on the other thread? xD
I'll copy it here for you.

How?
This is where I'll explain in more detail how I imagine the territorial expansion would work.

Each nation picks one, and only one, territory to claim to start. As aforementioned, "old" nations will be granted first pick.

An immediate benefit of this plan is that there would be a host of unclaimed territories for new nations to easily slip into whenever they arrive. I intend to make sure that expansion is a gradual process rather than a rushed "claim ALL the land!" ordeal.

By the time the map is ready and players have made their picks, the new nations should have a couple of weeks of progress under their belts in order to provide a general idea of the strengths of the various nations. No RP of consequence should commence before everyone has been placed on the map.

Once RP begins, each nation will be able to expand in accordance with their new stats. This is one area of my plan in which discussion would be beneficial to better iron out which stats would be used.

As an example, I have already used the Defense Forces stat, during the Nomads War, to determine how many "units" a nation would have as if we were playing Civ 5. This stat could be used to provide nations with military units they can then proceed to use to occupy other territories and expand their empire.

The method used for claiming unclaimed territories should be voided when attempting to claim player owned territories. To promote RP, I do think it's necessary to turn the system over to RP after a while. Any territorial claiming system should only apply to unclaimed territories that players can't really RP with someone else over.

I believe it would be wise to have different types of units, but I don't think economic units should be one of them. When rethinking things over, I concluded that using the economy stats would likely lead to lots of nations getting lots of land far too quickly. Players can still try to use their economic stats to deal with other players, but those stats shouldn't be used when dealing with unclaimed territories.

Instead, I believe we should take a cue from Civ 5 and primarily base units off of Defense Forces, Culture, and Religiousness, as those are the main categories that would lead to border expansion in Civ 5. I also believe that relying on this structure would be fairer to all nations, as there will most certainly be some nations that do not want to be forced into becoming military powerhouses to expand territorially.

A more concise explanation is as follows:

> A nation may lay claim to a neighboring territory for every 5 Culture points they gain.
> A nation may lay claim to a neighboring territory for every 5 Religiousness points they gain.
> A nation may lay claim to a neighboring territory by keeping a Defense Force unit in the territory, unopposed, for the length of the claiming period.
> A nation may only have as many Defense Force units as they have Defense Force points divided by 10, rounding down.
> RP is the only way to attempt to claim a territory already controlled by a player. Stats may be used to guide the RP, but the procedures used to claim unclaimed territories do not apply to already claimed territories.
> All claims by all nations are updated weekly at the same time. Defense Force units must be present and unopposed in the territory they wish to claim at the update time for them to successfully gain the territory.

As the concise explanation implies, the method used for claiming unclaimed territories should be voided when attempting to claim player owned territories. To promote RP, I do think it's necessary to turn the system over to RP after a while. Any territorial claiming system should only apply to unclaimed territories that players can't really RP with someone else over.

Somewhat key to this system, we would also have to establish a time it takes for units to move between territories. First, for convenience, we should assume that all units can immediately travel over water rather than force additional naval units to be made. Secondly, I believe a "Risk" movement style, with units moving one territory per week, would be ideal during the claiming period. Once nations have held a territory for a week or two, though, roads should be built connecting the territory to the heart of the nation, thus allowing units to travel much faster throughout the nation.

I must stress that this claiming procedure is by all means open for discussion. I feel that any procedure must rely on stats in some way or form, however, to prevent a free-for-all situation with no checks and balances.

BarbarianGaming

Lord of Altera
Brogan, did you even bother to read Sinclair's claiming rules on the other thread? xD
I'll copy it here for you.

How?
This is where I'll explain in more detail how I imagine the territorial expansion would work.

Each nation picks one, and only one, territory to claim to start. As aforementioned, "old" nations will be granted first pick.

An immediate benefit of this plan is that there would be a host of unclaimed territories for new nations to easily slip into whenever they arrive. I intend to make sure that expansion is a gradual process rather than a rushed "claim ALL the land!" ordeal.

By the time the map is ready and players have made their picks, the new nations should have a couple of weeks of progress under their belts in order to provide a general idea of the strengths of the various nations. No RP of consequence should commence before everyone has been placed on the map.

Once RP begins, each nation will be able to expand in accordance with their new stats. This is one area of my plan in which discussion would be beneficial to better iron out which stats would be used.

As an example, I have already used the Defense Forces stat, during the Nomads War, to determine how many "units" a nation would have as if we were playing Civ 5. This stat could be used to provide nations with military units they can then proceed to use to occupy other territories and expand their empire.

The method used for claiming unclaimed territories should be voided when attempting to claim player owned territories. To promote RP, I do think it's necessary to turn the system over to RP after a while. Any territorial claiming system should only apply to unclaimed territories that players can't really RP with someone else over.

I believe it would be wise to have different types of units, but I don't think economic units should be one of them. When rethinking things over, I concluded that using the economy stats would likely lead to lots of nations getting lots of land far too quickly. Players can still try to use their economic stats to deal with other players, but those stats shouldn't be used when dealing with unclaimed territories.

Instead, I believe we should take a cue from Civ 5 and primarily base units off of Defense Forces, Culture, and Religiousness, as those are the main categories that would lead to border expansion in Civ 5. I also believe that relying on this structure would be fairer to all nations, as there will most certainly be some nations that do not want to be forced into becoming military powerhouses to expand territorially.

A more concise explanation is as follows:

> A nation may lay claim to a neighboring territory for every 5 Culture points they gain.
> A nation may lay claim to a neighboring territory for every 5 Religiousness points they gain.
> A nation may lay claim to a neighboring territory by keeping a Defense Force unit in the territory, unopposed, for the length of the claiming period.
> A nation may only have as many Defense Force units as they have Defense Force points divided by 10, rounding down.
> RP is the only way to attempt to claim a territory already controlled by a player. Stats may be used to guide the RP, but the procedures used to claim unclaimed territories do not apply to already claimed territories.
> All claims by all nations are updated weekly at the same time. Defense Force units must be present and unopposed in the territory they wish to claim at the update time for them to successfully gain the territory.

As the concise explanation implies, the method used for claiming unclaimed territories should be voided when attempting to claim player owned territories. To promote RP, I do think it's necessary to turn the system over to RP after a while. Any territorial claiming system should only apply to unclaimed territories that players can't really RP with someone else over.

Somewhat key to this system, we would also have to establish a time it takes for units to move between territories. First, for convenience, we should assume that all units can immediately travel over water rather than force additional naval units to be made. Secondly, I believe a "Risk" movement style, with units moving one territory per week, would be ideal during the claiming period. Once nations have held a territory for a week or two, though, roads should be built connecting the territory to the heart of the nation, thus allowing units to travel much faster throughout the nation.

I must stress that this claiming procedure is by all means open for discussion. I feel that any procedure must rely on stats in some way or form, however, to prevent a free-for-all situation with no checks and balances.
I tried to avoid reading walls of text just like that.
EDIT: Here's a hint, I didn't read your wall of text.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
What Val said is correct, but I may modify the religion points required to 10 per territory. I thought religion points started close to 0 and grew over time, but some nations have started with upwards of 80 points. Needless to say, 80 would equate to 16 territories immediately, and that's a bit too many too quickly, I believe.

Then again, religion doesn't really help defend territories, so...

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
What Val said is correct, but I may modify the religion points required to 10 per territory. I thought religion points started close to 0 and grew over time, but some nations have started with upwards of 80 points. Needless to say, 80 would equate to 16 territories immediately, and that's a bit too many too quickly, I believe.

Then again, religion doesn't really help defend territories, so...
so I have a quite a bit of religiousness, does the starting number count or just the amount upwards from there?