Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Location, Location, Location

Raith

Lord of Altera
and what about population? if it gets over a specific point, the amount of populates will exceed the amount of territory you have.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
and what about population? if it gets over a specific point, the amount of populates will exceed the amount of territory you have.
I assume by the time you've got enough that population is a problem, you'll have more than enough points in a category to claim more land. It only grows by one million a day, and an issue can bump you up 5 or 10 points in a field.

Ray1333

Lord of Altera
Territorial Map.jpg @Lord_Sinclair The People's Republic of Orpilia! Do let me know if I made it to close to another nation without knowing-

I have been wound up in family issues and moving recently, to provide a reason for my absence, but I am here once more!

Last edited:

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
so I have a quite a bit of religiousness, does the starting number count or just the amount upwards from there?
Starting stats will count, so religion will allow for some rapid early expansion for some nations.

However, it should be noted that religiousness stats are used to claim, not defend, so be wary of that.

Also, if you start with, say, 70 religiousness points, you can immediately claim 7 territories. However, if that goes down to 60, you'd have to relinquish one territory or have it go into revolt or something.

The idea behind using culture and religion to expand is that culture and religion assimilate territories to your nation. If that assimilating influence wanes, however, then those territories will naturally begin to drift away.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I think we should introduce other metrics into claiming, or change the current ones since right now the claim rules heavily encourage minmaxing towards highly religious, highly militant nations.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I think we should introduce other metrics into claiming, or change the current ones since right now the claim rules heavily encourage minmaxing towards highly religious, highly militant nations.
Well... that's somewhat the point. I mean, militant nations should clearly be expanding faster than more pacifist nations. Just look at the rise of Islam, for example; it expanded rapidly throughout the world because of its dual religion/military focus.

The claiming procedure is designed to be as realistic as an arbitrary "I want that territory" claiming system can be. Culture and Religiousness are both there to simulate how nations can expand by having a dominant sphere of influence that assimilates nearby territories to their own national ways. Defense Forces are there to simulate how nations can expand through military conquest. Most other categories don't really have the rationale to become part of the claiming procedure, so far as I'm concerned, though I'm willing to hear out any well-though out suggestions to the contrary.

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
Well... that's somewhat the point. I mean, militant nations should clearly be expanding faster than more pacifist nations. Just look at the rise of Islam, for example; it expanded rapidly throughout the world because of its dual religion/military focus.

The claiming procedure is designed to be as realistic as an arbitrary "I want that territory" claiming system can be. Culture and Religiousness are both there to simulate how nations can expand by having a dominant sphere of influence that assimilates nearby territories to their own national ways. Defense Forces are there to simulate how nations can expand through military conquest. Most other categories don't really have the rationale to become part of the claiming procedure, so far as I'm concerned, though I'm willing to hear out any well-though out suggestions to the contrary.
so I suppose when everything is set up we expand?

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Expansion will not begin until this weekend, starting Friday. Let's at least give ourselves a couple day for preliminary RP, aye?

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
View attachment 61560 @Lord_Sinclair The People's Republic of Orpilia! Do let me know if I made it to close to another nation without knowing-

I have been wound up in family issues and moving recently, to provide a reason for my absence, but I am here once more!
That location is a little close to Harvendir's borders and would crowd that continent a bit too much, in my opinion, though if the other nations on the continent are up for it, they're more than welcome to accept it.

Volopia Alt Suggestion.jpg
I'd suggest somewhere in the blue if you're willing to play asian, somewhere in the green if you'd like to be an island kingdom, or somewhere in the red if you'd like to be... something else, I guess. If you want to be farther north, I'd suggest taking the far, far north, but try to steer clear of the cyan territory if you go to the north.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
I shall note at this point that the Dictatorship of Centurius does in no way, shape, or form base on any example or image of ANY sort of Asian culture - or ethnicity. In lieu of the apparently set in stone decision that my continent is based on Asia and Asian cultures, I have adjusted the history of my nation and will be posting some snippets of it shortly. In summary, Centurius is a primarily caucasian and african civilization, with populations about the same for both. The upstart civilization is what remains of a larger nation that had been destroyed by civil war. Culture of my region is technology, technology, technology. Just a public service announcement so that I'm not lumped in with the rest of the nations on my continent.

I vehemently oppose playing any sort of asian stylized culture, thank you.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I shall note at this point that the Dictatorship of Centurius does in no way, shape, or form base on any example or image of ANY sort of Asian culture - or ethnicity. In lieu of the apparently set in stone decision that my continent is based on Asia and Asian cultures, I have adjusted the history of my nation and will be posting some snippets of it shortly. In summary, Centurius is a primarily caucasian and african civilization, with populations about the same for both. The upstart civilization is what remains of a larger nation that had been destroyed by civil war. Culture of my region is technology, technology, technology. Just a public service announcement so that I'm not lumped in with the rest of the nations on my continent.

I vehemently oppose playing any sort of asian stylized culture, thank you.
No one said it's too late for you to request to claim different land. I'd suggest moving. Ethnic groups don't suddenly have a gap where there's a completely different ethnicity.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
No one said it's too late for you to request to claim different land. I'd suggest moving. Ethnic groups don't suddenly have a gap where there's a completely different ethnicity.
Was the second in the area, immediately after Sadko's claim and before anyone else's in the area. T'is my region, and I am satisfied with my location.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Oh boy.

Considering overall description of land and country lore, Sammaru is by the other Asian nations, ranges from equatorial to temperate, and has a mix of island and mainland environment. That's my ultimate, eventual goal with claiming. I would presume that any surrounding land (as in, my Ultimate Claim Goal) was part of the original empire, and has since fallen into chaos and is now ruled by scattered crime lords and governors and whatnot.

'Course, THAT is just flavor text and justification. When I have access to my computer I'll make a formalized claim.

I do believe I am the last to claim.

Edit: Glados, chill out

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I'd suggest that you take somewhere in the green area I circled when suggesting a spot for Orpilia (Ray), Gaby. Looks to me to be an ideal spot.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Oh boy.

Considering overall description of land and country lore, Sammaru is by the other Asian nations, ranges from equatorial to temperate, and has a mix of island and mainland environment. That's my ultimate, eventual goal with claiming. I would presume that any surrounding land (as in, my Ultimate Claim Goal) was part of the original empire, and has since fallen into chaos and is now ruled by scattered crime lords and governors and whatnot.

'Course, THAT is just flavor text and justification. When I have access to my computer I'll make a formalized claim.

I do believe I am the last to claim.

Edit: Glados, chill out
I'm not un-chill, I simply won't alter my original intentions for my region and nation based on the things thought up by others after my own.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I'd suggest that you take somewhere in the green area I circled when suggesting a spot for Orpilia (Ray), Gaby. Looks to me to be an ideal spot.
It's really island though, and too far away from the other Asias. Bleh.

Might pick the blue area. Are there any other nations near the blue area that I should watch out for?

I'm not un-chill, I simply won't alter my original intentions for my region and nation based on the things thought up by others after my own.
With all due respect, I've heard nothing of your nation until it joined the region. I heard of Lighttwig's Asia plan long before that.

We're all compromising in order to have a system that makes sense. I don't understand why you're arguing so vehemently.