Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

NationStates - The Solar System

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
aranudar flag.jpg

Many of our countries are reaching for the stars presently. However, one Nation is devoting a majority of its' budget to the research of outer space; Aranudar.

As such is so, I looked around and found no information regarding our solar system. I do know this is to be a modern day, mostly-low-fantasy setting, however in order to be realistic, we're going to need details on our home star system.

A few points to start us off.

What is our sun named?

If not Sun, like here on Earth, then what? I know that the sun is also known as Sol. Any words on this? Post below.

What kind of star is it?

I think my personal preference would be a red giant. Post below.

Leading in to the next question: How many planets are there in the system?

This is a rather important one for astronomy and space programs. My own suggestion would be between 3 and 7 planets, all but one being terrestrial. And their moons should be discussed as well.

I would be honored to be given the right to write on details about the system, but as it would be rude to just do that sort of thing without consulting anyone about it, this thread is for public discussion and argument over Astronomy. If the majority vote lies with me making stuff up for our system and Baron gives the go ahead, I'd be willing to write for us. But I would like suggestions from other people.

___

System Name: The Solar System

First Planet: Monu
Planetary Climate: Hot. Monu is the closest planet to the sun, and as such, it is extremely hot. With the size and proportions of the system's sun in play, Monu is so close to the sun that the atmosphere has been completely stripped off by solar flares several times over the few billion years the system has existed. Surface temperatures reach upwards of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit, though the planet's rotation speed matches its revolution speed; meaning one side always faces the sun, and the other side always faces away.
Moon Count:
Moon Names:

Second Planet: Isda
Planetary Climate: Being at a good distance from the sun, this planet's surface is exceedingly hot- but not
too hot. There is no evidence of life still being present on this planet, though there are some signs that water was once present here. Large, hundreds of miles wide clouds cover some parts of the surface at some times, lowering the temperatures to just over 130 degrees Fahrenheit after a few hours of them being present.
Moon Count: 0
Moon Names: -

Third Planet: Altera
Planetary Climate: Earthlike
Moon Count: Singular
Moon Names: The Moon

Fourth Planet: Titan
Planetary Climate: Barren and freezing cold. Again, there is no evidence of life still being present on this planet, though seismic scans of the world have revealed enormous underground caverns and tunnels that stretch on for miles upon miles. What may reside down here is unknown. The atmosphere is made up of nine parts CO2 and one part O2, and is not breathable.
Moon Count: 2
Moon Names: Ventus and Nalbu

(Room for expansion)

"Though I generally dislike limiting RP, perhaps we should consider instituting a rule regarding scientific advancement levels to ensure that all nations venturing into space would actually have the means to do so?

Obviously, if you get an issue saying "we haz SPACE", there's no stopping you from starting a space program. However, just because you have a space program, that doesn't mean you should necessarily have a space station of your own and every satellite known to man. As Baron has said, only major superpowers have historically possessed the means to build space stations.

My proposal is that a nation must have a Scientific Advancement level equal to or greater than double the world average in Scientific Advancement.

Currently, the world average is 62, so the minimum level required to build a space station, under this proposal, would become 124.
Aranudar, Terenas, Mechanica Rationalis, Sincronia, Arcturix, Turious, Curacha, Legisa, and Natrizima all meet this threshold.
Zwerg Mit Eisen, Carausmia, and Ellathyr all have levels over 100, so they aren't too far from meeting this threshold.
Morgnatha and God Send both have levels greater than the world average, but they are still some ways away from the threshold.
Tarjikstan has a scientific advancement level lower than the world average and is a considerable ways away from the threshold.

Please keep in mind that, even if you don't have a space station of your own, you are more than capable of renting out another nation's space station for your own use. For example, even though Tarjikstan wouldn't have it's own space station, Turious would, so it would not seem at all out of place for the good relations between Tarjikstan and Turious to permit Tarjikstan to use Turious' station.

If enough people like this proposal, then I propose we send it to a vote on the Nation States forum."

-Lord Sinclair

[I will regard the above as guidelines until further notice.]

Notable Astronomical Events or Objects

Named Event: Aznable Space Program
Contents of Event: Zwergians and Turians commanding a space station at standard Altera orbit.

Named Event: Mechanica Rationalis Intersystem Manifestation Program
Contents of Event: 3 lunar bases, a couple of interplanetary colonies, an extrasolar spacecraft, runs the GPS grid, has many space stations for various purposes, has plenty of kinetic bombardment satellites at the ready

Named Event: Infestation Space Program
Contents of Event: Roaches of Curacha; no satellites or expeditions launched yet.

Named Event: Godsendian Space Progam
Contents of Event: --

Named Event: Natriziman Space Program
Contents of Event: Small orbital attack defense platform locked in geosync over Natrizima.

Named Event: Ellathyrian Space Program
Contents of Event: --

Last edited:

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I don't know much about space, but the Jannah space station belonging to Tarjikstan is still in orbit. It has Zwergians and Turians on board as well as Tarjiki.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
MR has 3 lunar bases, a couple of interplanetary colonies, an extrasolar spacecraft, runs the GPS grid, has many space stations for various purposes, has plenty of kinetic bombardment satellites at the ready, and has been setting up a space elevator over the last week, though I won't have it reach completion until late March.

Turns out space stuff is way easier when you don't need to worry about carrying life support.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Okay: How many moons does our planet have?

Doesn't have to be just one. Run wild. Most popular vote will get it.

And suggest a name for our planet as well as how far it is from the sun.

If there is no contesting of it, how does 4 major planets and a few dwarf planets sound for the headcount of our system?

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Planet is Altera and there's one moon. It's extremely earthlike and Altera is lore-accepted by at least 5 nations already.

I've been going off a similarly Earthlike solar system. 4 terrestrial, 4 gaseous with plenty of moons, and a couple of dwarfs scattered about.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Altera would have been my vote. Will update the op. Is our moon named Moon, or a different significant name?

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Are there currently any guidelines for how far we should be taking our space programs? To my knowledge, most issues regarding space development are vague in nature.

Taking the vagueness of the Nation States issues into consideration, I've made the nature of Sincronia's space program similarly vague. We have space stations, orbital weapons platforms, and satellites, for sure, but I haven't detailed much past that, even though I've received issues where I've put the majority of the military's funding into space age weapons and technology.

For the time being, assume that Sincronia's presence in space is in accordance to its scientific advancement. In other words, I tend to judge nations' space influence by the scientific advancement scale, under which Sincronia holds the third highest rate of advancement.

223hero7

Lord of Altera
Yup, Turious is indeed participating in the space stuff. The Scientists involved in the Jannah are direct employees of the Aznable Space Program.

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Legend
Retired Staff
LeStrangest
LeStrangest
Legend
Morgnatha are also developing a space program. Nothing has been sent up to space yet but we hope to send something soon. (Just got a space issue a few weeks ago)