Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

New Map - Sneak peek (???)

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
It's Saturday, and as you know it's new biome day on the new map.

Today's biome is something that was just barrrrely hinted at on the first thread when Elz showed a picture of a baby lava lake.

So, without further ado, I present one of my personal favorite biomes. The Lavalands.

Scolding heat, rending flesh, blistering rocks. The dry and hot obsidian scorch the landscape. The Earth herself pushes through the rock in many places of the lavalands.
2016-05-14_19.17.33.png

Extreme heat and dangerous pitfalls await those who are desperate enough to scout out these lands. It would take someone with tremendous amounts of courage and endurance to survive here.
2016-05-14_19.17.27.png

Billowing smoke and clouds of ash cover nearly every solid surface. Lava vents and valleys cut through the tortured landscape. Nothing lives here...
2016-05-14_19.18.06.png
...Or does it.

The occasional foliage and green spots can be found in the extremely fertile volcanic soils here.
2016-05-14_19.18.18.png

A place near and dear to my heart, a cliff jutting out overlooking the lavalands, filled with rich soil and clean air.
2016-05-14_19.13.17.png

Where lava meets water, stone is common. Rain eventually fills all the calderas and lava pits around here. Those areas with water are among the oldest areas of the Lavalands.
2016-05-14_19.18.37.png
Some areas that have cooled down even see occasional ice deposits gather around them. The sheer black of the obsidian foils the white of the ice nicely here.
2016-05-14_19.19.10.png

As water and time take their effect, lichens break down the volcanic stones and turn them into rich soils, upon which grasses may grow. (Props to anyone that can name this process).
2016-05-14_19.20.06.png
One of the largest volcanoes on the new map is immensely big. Size-wise it's larger than the one near Scourge, but the caldera itself is smaller. A treacherous climb for any would-be adventurer.
2016-05-14_19.20.38.png

The second-largest volcano in this new world is a newer and younger volcano. Much taller than the shield volcano posted above, this cone volcano is extremely active, as can be seen by the large amounts of lava surrounding its base.
2016-05-14_19.24.05.png

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Oh, guys, I forgot, there's a second area of completely. different. lavalands.

I call it the Rift. It's a large lava rift that rips the large desert in two.

It's night on the new map right now, but as soon as it's day, I'll post some more pics.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Is this map actually optimized for 1.9 - meaning also using 1.9 blocks, unlike the other maps who were always a few builds behind in terms of main map blocks?

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
PART 2

The Rift is a large scar running through the large desert. It appears to be a cut in the landscape made of grey clay and sand.

Here we see the river running near the end of the southern portion of the Rift.
2016-05-14_21.20.26.png

Sand and oppressive heat do not make the lava sights any less beautiful.
2016-05-14_21.20.48.png

None know how the Rift came to be, but it's sandy points stand out bizarrely out of the melted wasteland.
2016-05-14_21.21.33.png

Almost like a torn landscape...
2016-05-14_21.22.00.png

Just one small portion of the Rift.
2016-05-14_21.22.59.png

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
>medieval fantasy roleplaying video game
we need to have at least some base in reality. just because it's roleplay doesn't mean we can excuse extremely alien worlds

there's also the factor that you can't settle close to 'the Rift' due to the extreme heat, and further distances put you at risk for volcanic smog and poisonous gasses. and if it's an active volcano (as the lava would not be exposed to the surface if it was not an active volcano), settling anywhere near it puts you at risk for eruption and lava flows.

that goes for all the volcanoes actually. shame on you if you settle near them, because that'd be legitimately impossible.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
we need to have at least some base in reality. just because it's roleplay doesn't mean we can excuse extremely alien worlds

there's also the factor that you can't settle close to 'the Rift' due to the extreme heat, and further distances put you at risk for volcanic smog and poisonous gasses. and if it's an active volcano (as the lava would not be exposed to the surface if it was not an active volcano), settling anywhere near it puts you at risk for eruption and lava flows.

that goes for all the volcanoes actually. shame on you if you settle near them, because that'd be legitimately impossible.
So people shouldn't settle near active magma. And? That leaves only the rest of the less-than-a-mile-distanced areas of the map to settle. I'd prefer to have worlds that don't stringently follow natural real life patterns of development and existence in favor of interesting environments to explore and look at. What makes a good map is not a hardcore realism setting, it's variety and interesting bits.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
So people shouldn't settle near active magma. And? That leaves only the rest of the less-than-a-mile-distanced areas of the map to settle. I'd prefer to have worlds that don't stringently follow natural real life patterns of development and existence in favor of interesting environments to explore and look at. What makes a good map is not a hardcore realism setting, it's variety and interesting bits.
These'd be impossible to explore in a medieval setting though. They're challenging enough with modern safety.