Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

(NOT MAGIC OR ANYTHING ACTUAL) Imbuement

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Bump! This now kinda does something! All intended effects are still placebo-ish as usual, but this does help with the metal.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
PudsNull
PudsNull
Legend
This still seems cool to me, I just love talking about things that are pushed towards a more fantasy setting than just your usual discussion of our normal medieval setting.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
This still seems cool to me, I just love talking about things that are pushed towards a more fantasy setting than just your usual discussion of our normal medieval setting.
true, though admittedly this is more of a belief thing, it's still quite nice to have something that nobody can really explain, or deny with evidence, so you simply have believers and non-believers.

Damascus

Legend of Altera
Notes to self:
-Kill a bear
-Kill some birds of paradise (birds, not flowers)
-Invent cold fire
-Kill some hares
-Convince RexJen into letting me live in Minovia
-Kill some long-tailed tits
-Write a book on killing animals
-Get Roy to forge me a halberd with the bones of those animals
-Question what I'm doing with my life
-Go to the next act of the campaign

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
PudsNull
PudsNull
Legend
true, though admittedly this is more of a belief thing, it's still quite nice to have something that nobody can really explain, or deny with evidence, so you simply have believers and non-believers.
Which makes it even MORE cool!

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Notes to self:
-Kill a bear
-Kill some birds of paradise (birds, not flowers)
-Invent cold fire
-Kill some hares
-Convince RexJen into letting me live in Minovia
-Kill some long-tailed tits
-Write a book on killing animals
-Get Roy to forge me a halberd with the bones of those animals
-Question what I'm doing with my life
-Go to the next act of the campaign
don't forget
-Drink
-Get paid for pelts of animals
-use money to buy more Drink
-sleep from being drunk
-wake up hungover
-use drink to get over hangover
-attempt to fly
-fly
-realize its a dream from sleeping drunk
-be hungover again
-???
-profit

Magiik

Lord of Altera
Placebo /ish/?
I'm not going to pretend to understand forging, but I think a big misunderstanding here is that people are under the impression that he's just imbedding a femur into a sword and calling it good.
The actual process is burning the bone, which does something or other that others could explain a lot better than I could. It actually helps to improve the metal a bit, but doesn't do much else.
The placebo part comes in with what bones you use. Kill a bear? Burn its bones with the belief that it'll make you stronger when you wield your sword. Kill a snake? Add its bones to the forging process of your dagger to make it quiet and deadly. Kill the bravest warrior the world has ever seen? Steal his skull and burn it give your sword the warrior's spirit.

It isn't something that actually happens. Killing a bear doesn't make your sword the fabled sword of legend. But, with the superstition of the time, and the fact that we're playing on a fantasy server, the idea makes things a bit more fun. Hence, placebo-ish.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Magiik has worded things perfectly, I'm ashamed I suck at words XD. But yeah, bones are added to the forging process, meaning that they're burned with the coals to heat the blade. The calcification helps to eliminate some more carbon from the steel, makin it more pure, if also less flexible. While swords can work with high or low carbon content, low carbon content was highly preferred in Europe because of armor. And in regards to the "effects", the mind is a powerful thing, if a doctor gives you a pill of you don't know what and says it will cure you, your mind believes it and it can really help with whatever you've got. In this case, here's an example, Roy burns bear bones for Sif's great sword, telling him it will add the bear's strength to his own, if sif believes Roy, then his mind may allow more muscles to be used, believing the body to be stronger from this. If sif doesn't believe Roy and his primal ways, the mind will not do that, and nothing will change due to his doubt keeping the spirit from working. Any further questions, please voice fully so I can best answer them, thank you!

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
You'd need a complicated setup for this to have any actual effect on the material. That and a lot of bones.

LiraKitty

Lord of Altera
Does it really matter though. It's a placebo effect which I think is just really awesome. You don't see that line of reasoning often in fantasy rp.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
You'd need a complicated setup for this to have any actual effect on the material. That and a lot of bones.
Not entirely, just a semi enclosed forge and a fair amount of bones, say the equivalent of 2-3 tibia, in multiples depending on the weapon size, in order to achieve max effect. Though tbf, I'm more worried about how Roy will look when having to dig up corpses for clients' orders XD
"nay! nay! I'm just 'onorin t'e it life by diggin up t'e it corpse ta remove t'e bones fer a craft! ...wait..."

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Or just use chalk.

It doesn't actually have a positive effect if you're doing something deleterious compared to the /normal method/.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I'm bracing for the player who doesn't realize it's a placebo and then goes about RPing as if they have the strength of a bear. That's what makes me scared of this, because I have learned it is silly to assume that all new players have common sense. :')

Just make you sure stress to them OOCly that it doesn't actually have said qualities of bear and monkey, etc.

CaptnBluebeard

Lord of Altera
I'm bracing for the player who doesn't realize it's a placebo and then goes about RPing as if they have the strength of a bear. That's what makes me scared of this, because I have learned it is silly to assume that all new players have common sense. :')

Just make you sure stress to them OOCly that it doesn't actually have said qualities of bear and monkey, etc.
Don't tell them otherwise the Placebo-Effect won't work

Magiik

Lord of Altera
Or just use chalk.

It doesn't actually have a positive effect if you're doing something deleterious compared to the /normal method/.
I don't really see how it's harmful. It's a spiritual thing that lets us have a bit more fun with the tools and weapons our characters come to know and love. It lets us personalize them further.
We've already established that, far from damaging the metal, it actually improves it- slightly. It depends on the kind of tool you want, as always.
And why would we use chalk when you can give your sword the ferocity of a wolf, your knife the deadliness of a jaguar, your spear the darting bite of a viper?

Yeah, perhaps omit mentioning the whole brain-muscle effects relation thing. You'd do well enough with just the spiritual side.