Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Putting an end to excessive violence

M

Morgan Freeman

The management team is completely unanimous in this - enough is, frankly, enough.

We have noticed a sharp increase in the number of serial killers, psychopaths, and individuals who launch into violence at little or no provocation.

Frankly, we do not like what we see. It is disturbing content that we do not really want to see on the server, and with few exceptions it is not done maturely enough or well enough to warrant exceptions.

There is, in-development, in-character and out-of-character consequences to pursuing and repeatedly pursuing this path, including, but not limited to:

A character forfeits their ability to be revived by committing murder.
Server-enforced judgements from fair trials that may lead to the permanent retiring of a character.
Warnings and bans, if IC punishments and reputation loss are bypassed by continual creation of new characters.

This was originally planned to be released when everything was in place, but at this point enough is enough and it needs to be signaled.

Update 1:
The thread was full of misinformation and confusion, so it's been cleaned.

Please understand that this is a signaling of intent thread rather than something with rules in it, so people start to tone things down, preferably without us being forced to implement things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
Three questions:

In self defense from an attack, is it still ok to kill someone?

How would this affect characters like the corrupt? I've seen barely provoked attacks happen quite often with members of this group.

Can you define the term barely provoked?

Scardrac

Felsummer
I think this thread has been more so directed to the type of characters rather than the actions themselves. Randomly psychopathic or unprovoked murderers have become too common and disrupting. Self defense should not be an issue. Barely provoked is just having a random conversation with someone and deciding they'd look better with a hole in their neck.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I think this thread has been more so directed to the type of characters rather than the actions themselves. Randomly psychopathic or unprovoked murderers have become too common and disrupting. Self defense should not be an issue. Barely provoked is just having a random conversation with someone and deciding they'd look better with a hole in their neck.
This is pretty much what this is about.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
What I meant with my question was more "is mercenary work considered barely provoked?"

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
What I meant with my question was more "is mercenary work considered barely provoked?"
I'm sure that's fine.~ As... removing that/putting consequences on mercenary work... is.. restricting RP quite a bit.~ Feel free to correct me.
Barely provoked, again, being.
Barely provoked is just having a random conversation with someone and deciding they'd look better with a hole in their neck.
:D It's directed towards the psychopathic murders who only kill because they're in the mood to do so.~

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
What we're saying is the growing trend of people who kill others with no motive besides "Lol my character does it because they can okay" or possibly "[Character] is a sociopath of course they kill people" is a problem that we're cracking down on. Sociopaths don't kill people wantonly, and in fact aren't malicious for the most part.

matyio

The original mute
guys, lets look at this analytically for a second. the definition of murder is (taken from Google):
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
verb
kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation.

with that knowledge we know that attacking someone out of the blue and killing them is one of the things being asked to be stopped. now we look at self defence:
noun
the defence of one's person or interests, especially through the use of physical force, which is permitted in certain cases as an answer to a charge of violent crime.

so when you defend yourself and take someone's life it is not murder. Well assuming altera is using a similar system to that of the uk, at least I think this is the uk system, it might be the European but still. If a person attacks you you are allowed to relatilate in defence with equal to or less that the amount of force that they do. what this means if if a guy comes at you with a gun you are legally allowed to shoot them if you have a gun. Ignoring the illegality of possessing a gun that would be equal force.

so if you were to kill someone who is trying to kill you it is not illegal. However if you were to kill someone who slapped you that would be murder.

Bitochondria

Lord of Altera
I think what they're trying to say is: "Stop rofl killing"
What we're saying is the growing trend of people who kill others with no motive besides "Lol my character does it because they can okay" or possibly "[Character] is a sociopath of course they kill people" is a problem that we're cracking down on. Sociopaths don't kill people wantonly, and in fact aren't malicious for the most part.
That's pretty much my definition of Rofl-killing
To kill another character without provocation simply because
A.) You are bored in real life
B.) You hate someone's character/Someone
C.) You find it funny to kill characters
D.) That you want to kill to seem tough

To sum it all up, ROFL killing to me = Killing for no reason whatsoever

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
That's pretty much my definition of Rofl-killing
To kill another character without provocation simply because
A.) You are bored in real life
B.) You hate someone's character/Someone
C.) You find it funny to kill characters
D.) That you want to kill to seem tough

To sum it all up, ROFL killing to me = Killing for no reason whatsoever
That's a solid definition. I'm gonna use that somewhere.