Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Role Play Fighting

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Hello everyone. I'm here to talk about something that occurs very regularly in Port Silver and all around Altera. That is that every five minutes somebody is fighting/dueling/maiming or harassing others. This part of Role Play is one of the most enjoyable parts of it, but what many people don't seem to realize, are some easy steps to ensure good Role Play fight. So i am here to try and enlighten those who are confused (though I might just be confused myself!). Please note this is my opinion on Role Play fights, if you don't agree, please tell me why so I can help fix up this post and try to answer the questions you have!
Attempts:
What some people don't seem to realize is the fact that in a Role Play fight, all your moves should be attempts! Unless they are a certainty like your opponent is tied up, but even then, attempts is what makes good Role Play fights. Since the moves are attempts it lets your opponent try to dodge/block/parry the blows, which creates longer and more engaging Role Play (which is what you should aim for!).​
The more moves you allow your opponent to do causes you to think more about the fight, going for head shots are fine, but since they are attempts, the opponent can dodge it and then your wide open for the next attack. This is why using attempts in Role Play Fighting helps to make the fight "better" because each move can be calculated, much less O.P and more engaging for the both of you.​
Defending Attacks:
Defending attacks can be one of the hardest aspects in Role Play, I have personally witnessed many people being confused about when is a good chance to allow an attack, or to dodge it without being O.P. So to combat this confusion, players should always remember that since the attacks are attempts, it means you are more than able to successfully dodge or counter an attack. But this is where people lean into the O.P side of Role Play fighting. Dodging/evading/parrying and countering attacks are perfectly fine when defending, however, make sure you can keep a fairly even amount of successful dodges compared to your opponents successful hits.​
If someone swung a sword diagonally at your chest and you decide to dodge, you can do a few things: *Jumps back avoiding the blade, readies himself for the next attack*, *Uses his shield to block the sword and tries to push his opponent back*, *Barely dodges the attack, receives a small slash across his chest very little blood is seen from the wound*, *The sword cuts through his chest, causing a very deep wound, staggers back clenching his chest*.
All these actions are perfectly fine, each one of them fit into different situations, for example, taking the heavy chest wound would occur if you where thrown off balance, or where already wounded. This is why defending is hugely important in a Role Play Fight. The key way to ensure good/fair defending in a Role Play Fight is to make sure you are allowing hits as much as your dodging. This does not mean that all the moves you allow have to be crippling wounds, but as long as they hit, you are doing a good job!​
Over Powered Role Play Fight:
A very sad part of Role Play Fights are the Over Powered moves. Accidental moves that are O.P are fine, everyone makes mistakes, but there are a few things that people don't realize are O.P but are very Over Powered. Constant hits without letting your opponents recover, ignoring moves to allow yours to hit first, One hit kills at the beginning of fights, i.e *sneaks up behind and aims a hit at there head*. This things can all be avoided by the beautiful method known as MARGIN OF ERROR!!! If you are facing someone who is ignoring physical damage, stamina loss etc, you can use margin of error, this works when someone aims a hit at you when your very open, you can motion the attack puncturing an artery, hitting your shoulder when they aimed for neck etc.​
Things to always remember in a Role Play Fight:
Character skills, i.e very strong or very fast, must be developed over time! Many people make brand new characters with implemented stats like sped and attack. Many people have to realize that starting a character puts you at the bottom of the "skill ladder". Character back story can be used to help explain these stats, but for high ones, your character needs experience!​
The damage your character receives in a fight is very important. If you take a hard attack and you begin to bleed, over time your character will become weaker and slower from this blood lose, which eventually causes your character to die from blood lose. Also your character should tire over the period of the fights duration, using adrenaline is fine, but it will cause you to tire faster once it wears off and be a lot more fatigued.​
Always remember that when your character is attacking, make the moves attempts! When defending allow your character to dodge but allow the same amount of attacks to be successful.​
Use margin of error when defending attacks or when faced with someone you believe is being Over Powered. Don't be Over Powered yourself!​
If you have any questions, please ask me, If you believe I missed something, please tell me! Thank you!!!​

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
Man you forgot inventory combat. It works like this:

If you want to use a rope you have to have string

if you want to use a book as a shield then you have to have one then you gotta get rid of it after 1-2 hits from it

ect.

then you also forgot Environment Combat so like jumping into water to avoid arrows and rolling over counters ect.

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
I haven't seen many things like that, involving the shield, because characters state at the start of the fight what they are using along with the Armour they have on. But the rope part, you are totally correct!

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
I haven't seen many things like that, involving the shield, because characters state at the start of the fight what they are using along with the Armour they have on. But the rope part, you are totally correct!
i mean like if you hit a book with a sword/axe/club it can act as a shield but not effectively it might take 2 hits if you are really lucky before it breaks but then it would be useless know what im saying?

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Ohhh i see, No no, using items like that would never work, The attacker can say that is passes through the book, because in an IRL situation, using something like that would never work.

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
Ohhh i see, No no, using items like that would never work, The attacker can say that is passes through the book, because in an IRL situation, using something like that would never work.
i guess
but planks would work it just means like tough items in general

mistaahh

Lord of Altera
A book is not a shield..A sword would easily pass through it..
And if it won't your arm is broken, believe me..

Also, good job at this talon..

Spark

Broken
A thick leather bound book can stop a sword.... although it may cut through half of it, it will take the force of the impact. As well as the fact that when you are holding it to block there maybe be a very good chance of losing your fingers....

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Depends on the blow and the book.
I'd rather get my arm broken because I used a book as a shield than have my arm cut off.
Planks would certainly work as a shield.
My favourite non-shield shield would be a bucket. Effective against a thrust, but probably not the best against a cut.

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Using ooc items as weapons and tools is very bad in role play, unless you walk into the fight holding that item, you should avoid it, and using a bucket would never work, the shape of the bucket would stop slashes, if you use anything remotely heavy then it would be crushes causing more damage to your character because of the extra force and the chance of that item cutting you etc