Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Role Play Fighting

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
The thing that irritates me the most is people meta gaming when I shoot them with an arrow. I'm a Forest Elf who practices every day with his bow, I've tested the air, I'm judging your actions waiting for the perfect shot. Eventually I'll release the drawn-back string eventually, if I do shoot, chances are it'll hit. I won't always shoot, sometimes I'll just let it slide slowly and return the arrow to my quiver, I only shoot if I'm sure I'll hit. But sometimes I do miss, usually because they've dodged the shot because they saw it coming, sometimes because I didn't judge right. But when someone just does something like *dodges out of the way* it annoys me like nether. And then people get angry because it's OP but it's not OP, it's quite normal actually. Nothing about this is over powered. Just because you can't dodge it without meta-gaming doesn't make it op. Arrows are arrows, and I'm going to riddle you full of them if you annoy me. Your fault, not mine. I've rp'ed out every step, so it's not like the arrow just magically appeared. Arrrrrrgh! (When referring to me/I, I mean Elrohir.)

-K9
See my comment at Kvothe's XD

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
We have the sisterhood for cases like that.
Or there are bystanders, or, if the guy is paranoid, maybe even traps. But to be fair, if he is sleeping in an area so easily accessible (I.E. he didnt lock the door XD ) then he gets whats coming.

Now, if the person doing the shooting is doing it for no reason, just because, then that would be bad roleplay. But doing that isnt necessarily OPing.

The judgement here is that the injury of the character is far better than the character suddenly becoming god-like and somehow avoiding an arrow fired from three feet away while sleeping

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
A thick leather bound book can stop a sword.... although it may cut through half of it, it will take the force of the impact. As well as the fact that when you are holding it to block there maybe be a very good chance of losing your fingers....
thanks that was what im trying to imply i mean look at the minecraft books they are clearly at least 150 pages and leather bound

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
Using ooc items as weapons and tools is very bad in role play, unless you walk into the fight holding that item, you should avoid it, and using a bucket would never work, the shape of the bucket would stop slashes, if you use anything remotely heavy then it would be crushes causing more damage to your character because of the extra force and the chance of that item cutting you etc
the idea is that you can only use rp items so you would had to aquire them rp not ooc

Darko

Lord of Altera
Now, if the person doing the shooting is doing it for no reason, just because, then that would be bad roleplay. But doing that isnt necessarily OPing.
Legion I agree with what you said there. Although I have a question about what classifies it as no reason. One time in Port Silver, Darko was being mean to people cause he was in a grumpy mood. Not attacking anyone, just insulting this one person who had attacked a close friend of his. Calling her names etc. Then, I look in chat, and see that someone hiding on a building shot at me with in arrow. I asked oocly why, and he responded with "Because he was being very mean".

Now I get you might not like mean people, but it feels wrong firing an unblockable undodgeable shot at someone for "being mean".

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Legion I agree with what you said there. Although I have a question about what classifies it as no reason. One time in Port Silver, Darko was being mean to people cause he was in a grumpy mood. Not attacking anyone, just insulting this one person who had attacked a close friend of his. Calling her names etc. Then, I look in chat, and see that someone hiding on a building shot at me with in arrow. I asked oocly why, and he responded with "Because he was being very mean".

Now I get you might not like mean people, but it feels wrong firing an unblockable undodgeable shot at someone for "being mean".
This is a perfect example of a very particular type of meta gaming. In fact its such a good example that Im going to use this as my example when explaining in the future.
The issue here is that the person firing the shot is acting as if he was playing a video game. (And to be fair, he is playing a video game)The trouble arises because the shooter knows there are no real life consequences to his actions, and thus isnt acting totally in character.
In real life, you would not kill someone because they were "being mean." But in a video game, you might.
This type of meta-gaming is essentially blending IC and OOC, resulting in a confusing, nonsensical blob of out of character actions whilst imposing their results in character.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Yesterday near the Merry Mead several other characters were interacting.
One character was trying to do something wicked to the other two.
I happened to be sitting on a nearby rooftop and watched it all go down.
I hop over and attempt to stop the wicked doing character. Albeit I just used words and a loaf of bread, no arrows.
All of this was done ICly.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Yesterday near the Merry Mead several other characters were interacting.
One character was trying to do something wicked to the other two.
I happened to be sitting on a nearby rooftop and watched it all go down.
I hop over and attempt to stop the wicked doing character. Albeit I just used words and a loaf of bread, no arrows.
All of this was done ICly.
But you see the "no arrows" bit is an important difference.
If you were sitting in a diner and someone was making a ruckus and being generally awful, many people would yell at them.
But no one would kill them.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
But no one would kill them.

I've known people to be killed for shoes, lunch boxes and items of even less value. You'd be surprised at what the human race is capable of doing, for positive and for horrible and idiotic negatives. But I do agree, it takes a special kind of messed up to kill someone for such terrible reasons, and we must also remember: Very few people have the stomach to take anothers life. That being said, a life is worth a lot less in Hollowworld thanks to the lovely sisterhood.

-K9

Jupa15

Settling in Altera
I no longer feel like fighting now.... If some one -really- bugs me, ill just make them sleep -some how- and toss them in cold water... {teach them to drink my drink then whine about my wine... }

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
Thank you everyone for all your posts on this thread, I wanted to help and teach people about what I knew, but this has turned into something much more than I expected, thank you everyone for all your helpful and educating posts :)

CaliburofSouls

Lord of Altera
Note: Don't be an idiot when you do get into fights. My character is nearly impervious to blows that would kill most anyone else, but has loads of vulnerabilities and weaknesses that nobody has once considered when fighting it. I'm not joking when I say people have tried to stab Vorar in the chest. The super-thick, double plated armoured chest made of a metal with incredible resistance to damage.

To quote Legion, "Putting armour on Vorar is like putting a bulletproof vest on a tank."

And yet Vorar can be defeated in hundreds of ways with ease, which nobody has even tried, save for one or two people (they did pull of damaging Vorar, BTW).
For example maybe stabbing it through the face? (By face I mean the big eye thingie in the middle of Vorar's face)

Megadonkey30

Lord of Altera
MD30
MD30
Thank you everyone for all your posts on this thread, I wanted to help and teach people about what I knew, but this has turned into something much more than I expected, thank you everyone for all your helpful and educating posts :)

No no, Thank you for your wisdom o Roleplay fighting Teacher :3