Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

RP months and years, ideas?

Spark

Broken
1am, lying in bed and I think what everyone does when they are attempting to sleep, are there names of months in Altera?...as you do. So I went sifting through this forum section back to january 12 looking for a similar thread, nothing.

Anyways I decided to make it (as you may have noticed). Are there months in Altera? Time has always been relative to each player, being as short or as long as they wanted it to be between RP interactions. This is all good but what are there names of the months? If there are any months of course. If there arn't any could they be made? Either by the lore team or community. I think they would make a nice little addition to the lore and just roleplay on the server in general. For example: "I bought this armour back in >insert cool month name here<, look how damaged it is already!"
I just thought it would be cool, moving on..

Years...again have never really been defined, just ignored or made up randomly. I was thinking, what if the lore team or staff in general, could set a date of when a new year begins. This could be scheduled only a few weeks before the "new year" and be at a random time which was dictated by the amount of things that have happened or are happening. For example the GoC could take a year (RP time) from begining to end. So at the end of the GoC event a post could be made on a set announcement thread saying something like, the new year starts 1 week from now or something.

This could help towards an actual timeline or just a general way of aging your character and an idea of how long events are meant to take place for IC.

Opinions?

hshotwell

Lord of Altera
Yes Yes and Yes, although I believe that there are some years on the wii timeline...I could be mistaken, to lazy to look it up.

abbeyvie

Lord of Altera
Legend
abbeyvie
abbeyvie
Legend
It would be neat. I would suggest timing the ig months to irl years. Good names could be after gods, like our calender. Years are tricky.. And cam't be forced upon players to follow.. Humph.. Give me a bit.. Manager awayyy!!

Yoda

Lord of Altera
What a strange coincidence! I messaged Fitz regarding this just this morning. He says that this is on his priority list, however not that high up.

frank frappuccino

Lord of Altera
It would be neat. I would suggest timing the ig months to irl years. Good names could be after gods, like our calender. Years are tricky.. And cam't be forced upon players to follow.. Humph.. Give me a bit.. Manager awayyy!!
Have that calender with the norse gods names!!! MUHAHAHA THE NORTH WILL RISE AGAIN uh... I mean... Uh.. Hello. I am however a tiny bit confussled do you mean that one IRL month equal one IG year or that on IRL year equals one month IG?

Spark

Broken
Yes I'm guessing you got that the wrong way round Abbey :p

I think forcing aging on people wouldn't be a bad thing. I'll use my example of the Game of Crowns, this is a 3 week long event, one week after that its then a month IRL. Theres only 12 of these in an IRL year, meaning at least 12 years of RP aging, in an entire IRL year...which is quite a small amount. This makes it a bit more immersive because your character can actually progress in age, knowledge, etc. Say you make your character is learning magic, you could base his/hers progress alongside how long they had been doing it. So it would also help with character development I guess.

abbeyvie

Lord of Altera
Legend
abbeyvie
abbeyvie
Legend
Yes I'm guessing you got that the wrong way round Abbey :p

I think forcing aging on people wouldn't be a bad thing. I'll use my example of the Game of Crowns, this is a 3 week long event, one week after that its then a month IRL. Theres only 12 of these in an IRL year, meaning at least 12 years of RP aging, in an entire IRL year...which is quite a small amount. This makes it a bit more immersive because your character can actually progress in age, knowledge, etc. Say you make your character is learning magic, you could base his/hers progress alongside how long they had been doing it. So it would also help with character development I guess.
Welp.. I hugely disagree with that statement. :p I shall get you to see through my perspective.

Forcibly making characters age is bad.
You cannot forcibly age a person, because their characters are developing at a different pace.
~Character Development Pace: the rate/time period that your character grows/learns new knowledge, responsibilities, and emotions.
In this community character development stages happen at all times when our characters learn something new. We have a rhythm to have them age, if we want to, to have them change opinions and thoughts, and to have them be taught in things like the arts of magic.

If we quicken the speed of development, we are stressing out players to quickly mature their characters. Maturity can come with age. Forcing aging is creating a stressful/frustrating time with changing your character. Imagine a person who could only hop on for 2 weeks a month. They would need to have a rapid speed.

Role-plays aren't suppose to be quick and rapid. Cutting aging is like cutting minutes you can RP. Someone might want to RP as a 5-year-old child for a long time, as a long period in that character's life. They were five for 6 months. By the end of that six months they had to be 11. It ruins RP opportunities as a certain age. Limiting creativity and their creations, is a terrible idea.

If we had this, how would we enforce this? Banned: Not Aging. It's one of the silliest things to be banned for. Not aging..

Everyone moves at their own pace. :p

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
I think having time-names, for example, month names, would be good. Maybe basing it off Pagan holidays; Yule (Christmas.), Winter Solstice (Shortest day.), Litha (Harvest time, late summer.), Summer Solstice (Longest day.), etc etc. I don't know how many holidays there are, but they're all about the turning of the years, and there aren't more than 10.

Other than that, I don't know if the timing should be strict. It would destroy the fun character device of "I've been away for months." Because people would say "Actually it's only been 3 and a half weeks."

But having names for times would be lovely :3

EDIT: From the 31st of October, to October the 3oth, the holidays run:

Samhain (31st Oct - Remembering the dead.)
Yule/Winter Solstice (21st Dec - Basically Christmas, but without Jesus.)
Imbolc (1st/2nd of Feb - Preparing for Spring.)
Ostara/Vernal Equinox (21st Mar - Celebrating the balance of Spring.)
Beltane/May Day (3oth Apr - Beginning of Summer, lots of bonfires :D)
Litha/Summer Solstice (21st Jun - Midsummer celebrations.)
Lughnasadh/Lammas (1st Aug - Harvest time!)
Mabon/Autumn Equinox (Sep 21st - Second harvest time!)

... When I get bored I research stuff.

sonnybassplayer

Legend of Altera
Well making timing clear would be pretty cool, but if done, it shouldn't be so fast, and not forced to players...it may be a reference point anyway, like "you want to make time pass in a clear and constant way? Use our timing!" or something like this...my character is 32 years old, I wouldn't like him to be 44 on few months :/

Spark

Broken
If someone is that inactive they can just not change it.

Ok so sure someone wants to RP as a child, but when all of these big server wide events happen it has to progress time. If say you were RPing as a child back before the exodus, and now he/she is still 7 years old...it doesn't make any sense at all.

If someone comes on twice a month they could easily stay the same age because they havn't had any RP interaction during that time. But when someone has been roleplaying through big events or small events, they would have ages. It doesn't make sense for them not to.

I'm not talking about progressing a year every month at the same time of the same day. But relative to events that have happened server-wide. so if nothing happens for a month the year doesn't change because theres nothing that would cause a major increase in time (the high tides event didn't last a couple of weeks IC did it).

Banning people as a result? Bit of a stupid overexageration.

Jeroxia

We demons of our solemn hour
Good
What happened to the good old Choosing to age?
But I like the names for months!
And I would be glad to help out for names and such
And what about alterable celebrations at random dates?
Not Christmas when it's Christmas but kings day every year from when the king is crowned

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
A server-wide timescale would actually do grand things for my immersion in the RP.

As it stands I have to try and guess at the progession of time as my character ages appropriately.

abbeyvie

Lord of Altera
Legend
abbeyvie
abbeyvie
Legend
(For Spark)

You can't control, I can't control, We all can't control when other players choose to age. If they don't age from the Exodus, and they are still a child.. It isnt our problem. :) They always have an option to age. For events, yeah it would be amazingly cool if they chose to age.. But they don't have too. The only thing you can change is your own character. Aging isn't a requirement, like how death isn't a requirement either. Most people enjoy the control over how their characters play out.. How they grow.. How they age..

You could always age yourself during these events. You cannot force or change how someone else grows their character.

(The Rising of the Tides was 5 in-game weeks)

bettemus99

Roleplay keeper
<.< to me, a day is a week in Altera. A week is a month. About two months is a year.. or more. Or less. Just saying.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Perhaps, when Fitz gets round to it, there could be an interactive HollowCalendar? Y'know, with its IRL time stated within the date, and the ability to save dates- such as birthdays.

Anithola

Lord of Altera
Whenever i talk about months i refer to "moons" as is - I arrived in port silver roughly seven moons ago, also, when talking about years i say winters, - Five winters ago i killed a bear as big as a shack. etc.. :p

Spark

Broken
Ok, instead of forcing it, why not use it as a guideline for those who want to follow it. People who want to keep their age can.

Jeroxia

We demons of our solemn hour
Good
If For example I decide to be a Child Character who follows the Guideline, And You Play a Adult Who does not follow it.
In the End My age will overtake yours... Which would Create very awkward RP's that make no sence at all.
It's Everyone Follow it or noone in my opinion.