Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

RP months and years, ideas?

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Some misinformation i need to address:
People dont age in MC at any significant rate because of the magic of the sisterhood granted them by Shalherana. This rejuvenates us and keeps us young.
People only age when they essentially lose the will to live, and thus "ask" the sisterhood to no longer rejuvenate them.

There are also no seasons in MC, and in all honesty no real progression of time.
If I place a block, 10,000 years from now that block will be exactly the same as it was when I placed it. (assuming no one touched it)

Also, its hard to make a reasonable way to have time, since everyone isnt always playing that way.
Also, our reflexes and reaction times stay the same. Making MC days the standard for time might mean making it so that people go through 5 days just chopping a tree. (which might end up a good thing)

From an rp perspective, theres no real way to do this. It would be cool, but i honestly and truly believe that there is no sensible proper way to do this without ruining a lot of things.
And so i continue to advocate the system we currently have.
Which is essentially, "its magic" in regards to time.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Which is essentially, "its magic" in regards to time.
Whoa! I never knew this, this is awesome!
Hmm, perchance we could make a sticky post in the Roleplay section about this? Such information should be spread, methinks!

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Yes, I read the lore avidly(lovely word) and I've never come across the above information. In a bit, I'll post what Fitz said about it.

Karasu1996

Lord of Altera
Minecraft time to real time conversion

The following are approximations of Minecraft time to real time:
  • 1 Minecraft second = 0.0138 seconds of gameplay.
  • 1 Minecraft minute = 0.83 seconds of gameplay.
  • 1 Minecraft hour = 50 seconds of gameplay.
  • 1 Minecraft day = 20 minutes of gameplay.
  • 1 Minecraft week = 2.3 hours of gameplay.
  • 1 Minecraft month = 10 hours of gameplay.
  • 1 Minecraft year = 121.75 hours or 5.07 days of gameplay.
The approximation of real time to Minecraft time:
  • 1 hour of gameplay = 3 Minecraft days.
  • 1 day of gameplay = 72 Minecraft days, = 2.4 Minecraft months.
  • 1 week of gameplay ≈ 1.5 Minecraft years, ≈ 17 Minecraft months, = 72 Minecraft weeks, = 504 Minecraft days
  • 1 month of gameplay ≈ 6 Minecraft years, = 72 Minecraft months, ≈ 308.5 Minecraft weeks, = 2,160 Minecraft days
  • 1 year of gameplay = 72 Minecraft years, ≈ 876.5 Minecraft months, ≈ 3,757 Minecraft weeks, ≈ 26,297.5 Minecraft days
Months are assumed to be 30 days long. Years are rounded off to 365.242199 days, and all close (contains ≈) measurements are rounded to the nearest thousandth, or 0.00x.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
That's literal conversion from Minecraft to real-life, if you didn't know. The above information can also be found on the game's wiki. I think that we should have our times somewhere between Minecraft days and real-life days, in that we don't age too slowly as characters or that a single conversation takes up a whole day in-game.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Or we could keep how we've been doing it, which has no really evident problems, and come up with some month names.

Don't fix what ain't broke.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
The only lore to do with time I've found is the Alteran timeline, and that only states that we're in or around the year P.C. 2539.

Knowing what that is would be rather useful :p

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Lorewise change all you want but trying to make everyone age their characters by so and so amount for so and so time is ridiculous.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
I disagree that
trying to make everyone age their characters by so and so amount for so and so time is ridiculous.
It is, in my opinion, another way of being overpowered. It's basically saying that you want the ability to age whenever you want, almost like eternal-but-changeable-to-my-liking youth. In fact, I think it is exactly that.

abbeyvie

Lord of Altera
Legend
abbeyvie
abbeyvie
Legend
I disagree that
It is, in my opinion, another way of being overpowered. It's basically saying that you want the ability to age whenever you want, almost like eternal-but-changeable-to-my-liking youth. In fact, I think it is exactly that.
I don't consider it OP.. Unless they are gaining a 'massive' in-character advantage. OOC wise.. It supplies more RP.. More history.. Back to my point.

You can't force people to age their characters, and if you force them.. Punishment is outrageous.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Ahem, yoda and jak:
People dont age in MC at any significant rate because of the magic of the sisterhood granted them by Shalherana. This rejuvenates us and keeps us young.
People only age when they essentially lose the will to live, and thus "ask" the sisterhood to no longer rejuvenate them.
No one will be forced to age.
People who want to can.
And can similarly stop whenever they need/want to.

This is not OP.
Because everyone can do it.
And thus is not an unfair advantage.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Sorry, I used the word "age" here for simplicity, the exact lore on this is more specific.
Essentially:
The sisterhood exists as our secret weapon against the war on Grief.
When we lose a soldier, the sisterhood just brings em right back.
As such, the sisterhood only revives people who are useful.
Babies arent useful. So they let them age and develop until they are productive members of society. then they stop aging, because further aging would reduce their usefullness.

Mind you, they dont actually stop aging, just slow it down considerably. We do still age at a slow rate. And events that have a psychological toll on us can cause effects that look similar to aging.

Anyway, the sisterhood doesnt revive people who have lost the will to live because then they arent useful. If they brought them back, they would still just be sad sacks.

Everything the Sisterhood does is to try and give Altera as much of an edge against Grief as possible.
Then she unleashed her secret weapon, Dark Bloods, which the Sisterhood cannot cure.
And thats where we stand.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
well it ought to be somewhere in the players hand book section.
If its not, then its just something that never got moved from the old archive into the new PHB after Fitz started reorganizing things a few months back.
Its really not a priority, but i promise you thats the way it works.