Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

ThatMorbidBanter's Application [Accepted - Squidziod]

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
1. What is your Minecraft username?
ThatMorbidBanter

2. How old are you?
Seventeen.

3. What country are you from?
The United States of America.

4. Have you read the King's Law, Tome of Citizenship, Official Lore, and the Survival Guides yet?
Well, it was a requirement, so yes.

5. In your own words, how would you define metagaming and powergaming?
After reading your definitions of meta and power gaming, I must say I was either entirely wrong as to their meanings, or was misinformed. Anyhow, now that I do know what they mean, meta gaming is a form of role-play where a character takes information that could only have been know out of character, and applies it, making plot development useless. Power gaming is similar, except it is more along the lines of making a character overpowered. Giving them incredible abilities with no drawbacks or flaws. For instance, a character who may fly or teleport is an interesting idea, but if it has no drawbacks, cooldowns, or flaws, they can abuse it. It also can mean taking away another player's ability to chose what they do, such as ordering them to do something along the lines of "*knocks away Player, making them break their back and trip and fall on a root that wasn't there before and die*".

6. Do we allow X-Raying mods or X-Ray texture packs on the server?
Well, I take it you do not.

7. Name one of our current Mentors.
Snerus. Can't say I've met him, though.

8. Tell us about yourself!
Well, I suppose I can talk about myself a bit. I write, dabble in voice-acting and roleplaying, and am an avid reader of classic and... older, books. I enjoy reading the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft, and base a lot of my characters on their detailed writing styles. I am, however, generally opposed to doing anything romantic roleplaying or acting, as I am in a very committed relationship. Other than that, I hope this little note catches your attention, and goodnight.

Note:
I have written a different character, hopefully my last, and I pray you will enjoy it.

Character Name: Tavrik Ivald

Character Age: 65

Character Race: Dwarf

Appearance: Is 5 feet exact in hight. Body is heavily muscular with runic tattoos all over. Has fiery red hair and twinkling emerald green eyes, suggesting of a kind spirit. Wears clothes of green and brown hues to represent nature, and ties his beard in a braided knot.

Written Test!
"Easy lad, mind those bellows!" Roared Urlogik, pointing a stern finger at his slacking son, age causing the appendage to tremble a mite. He had worked for weeks, nay, months on this sword, soon to be his most illustrious achievement of his shinning career as a smith, and he would not allow anything which drew breath to bring this effort to naught, with the inclusion of his own son.
"Aye, sorry ye' dusty old iron!" Was Tavrik's response, "We'll ne'er have the damned sword at the ready lest ye' stop shoutin' at me."
Urlogik merely grunted in an irate manner before returning to his tedious quest, hammer meeting sword until it was as though all the thunder and lightning of a mighty typhoon had taken residence in the space betwixt the two, all the while the strong westerly wind of Tavrik's bellows fanned the wildfire of the forge, resulting in what might be described as a glorious apocalypse of worksmanship. And as this Ragnarok died, the tremendous din becoming as the quiet of the open sea, Urlogik Ivald held aloft his magnum opus: the sword Durgaahustidwaer, or the "Royal-Bedrock-Sword", a blade of such magnificent proportions, such sharp edges, and for the weight of but a feather, it might have been light as the air. He knew in the core of his being that it would be this saber which would finally make it known that none other should have the title of Guildmaster of Dwarven Smiths, for none other could match him in his craft. This... this would make it known.
"It is indeed a miracle, is it not benbin?"
"Ya', it does seem special vada..."
"'Special'? What do ye' mean just 'special', Tavrik?"
Tavrik shuffled his soot-covered boots a smidge, the knowledge that what he was about to confess may distress his father heavily weighed upon his mind.
"It has come to be my belief, vada, that we may be wrong for makin' nothin' but tools of use only for a butcher or hunter? Why is it we dunne' make items o' peace, shovels or plantin' devices that we might for once make life not steel, as the Druids teach?"
Urlogik let loose an exasperated groan, as if he had been reminded of something which had long bothered him.
"My son, I cannot count the occasions on which I have stated that we are dwarves! We work with the lower fruits of the earth, the greatest bounties of the land lie beneath and we are those who harvest! You speak of growin' yer damned weeds, and yet ye' know all too well that no blasted leafy things can grow in these caves, and there's to be not another word on it, for I'll box yer ears if ye' dunne' leave these dûrrzûs notions of Druidism and peace to their graves!"
"But vada, if you would only-"
"Nay! I've had enough of yer silly talk at this hour. Get yerself to yer quarters and if it please Korog, find some passion other than hargar and Druidism!"
"Please just li-"
"ENOUGH FANTASY BOY! TO YOUR QUARTERS, NOW!"
As Urlogik barked curses in frustration, Tavrik walked to his chambers, his melancholy rekindled once more. Would his father never understand their ways of iron and pride were folly? What good had it done them, following the ideas of superiority against their fellow races, forging them weapons to cleave each other to blood-soaked bits? No, it may have been the way of his ancestors, but not of himself! He much preferred the ideas of life as was said by the Druids, ways of peace and contentment, violence only when necessary in defense of what is worthwhile, and magic through powers of nature and the Divine. If only he could practice as they did... These thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of his closest companion, strange though it was, as the delicate bird, his pet, perched on his charcoal writing slate, it's wings shining blue as the sky.
"Oh Diarmhárr..." Sighed Tavrik, "I know I be but still tender of age, but I do wish that I could see the lands outside these dûrrzûs caves!" At this, the bird descended upon something on Tavrik's workspace. He picked up the object, a tablet his father had given him upon his recent thirteenth birth season.
"But... if I am gone, then who shall care for vada?" He thought aloud, coming to the epiphany that he was not just responsible for himself, for Urlogik, Diarmhárr, and even the shop, but his mind was made up.
"Someday, Diarmhárr. Someday I shall stride upon yer old home on the surface, and I might bring change, and the ways of the Druid to all people! But until then... I shall forge on ever ahead!" And he chuckled at his own wordplay as he turned once more to his study of the books lent him by the Druids...

Last edited:

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Hello there Tobias Welsh

I've read over the initial draft of your application and I've noticed a few things that needed to be adjusted.

-Your definitions of both Metagaming and Powergaming are incorrect. Please review the Kings Law and our Roleplaying rules

-We're a medieval/fantasy themed server, so unfortunately your character cannot have a metal hand as it doesn't fit our server.

Please review and correct, I'll review it again once you've finished.

Warm Regards;
Paint

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Hello there Tobias Welsh

I've read over the initial draft of your application and I've noticed a few things that needed to be adjusted.

-Your definitions of both Metagaming and Powergaming are incorrect. Please review the Kings Law and our Roleplaying rules

-We're a medieval/fantasy themed server, so unfortunately your character cannot have a metal hand as it doesn't fit our server.

Please review and correct, I'll review it again once you've finished.

Warm Regards;
Paint
In case you did not know, I have updated the post. I hope you find it to your standards.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Hello! Thank you for your continued effort to make your application passing. I will be taking over this application from here on out. Before your application is passing grade, there are yet still some things I'd like you to take a look at please.
  • No metal armor of any condition is allowed to be started with, sorry.
  • A story of sacrifice is fine, but I'd like you to remove direct interactions with the Grey Lady (and indeed any deity). References are fine, but direct interactions are not something that happen without a great deal of effort, hence not being appropriate subject material for an application story.
  • Being direct descendant of high royalty is a character cliché I'd prefer you avoided.
I hope you will continue to work with us in getting your application passing, and I applaud all you've done thus far! The rest of your application looks stellar, so I hope to see you finish. Like you did above, post here when you've made the proper amendments. Thanks again.

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Hello! Thank you for your continued effort to make your application passing. I will be taking over this application from here on out. Before your application is passing grade, there are yet still some things I'd like you to take a look at please.
  • No metal armor of any condition is allowed to be started with, sorry.
  • A story of sacrifice is fine, but I'd like you to remove direct interactions with the Grey Lady (and indeed any deity). References are fine, but direct interactions are not something that happen without a great deal of effort, hence not being appropriate subject material for an application story.
  • Being direct descendant of high royalty is a character cliché I'd prefer you avoided.
I hope you will continue to work with us in getting your application passing, and I applaud all you've done thus far! The rest of your application looks stellar, so I hope to see you finish. Like you did above, post here when you've made the proper amendments. Thanks again.
I updated the application, I hope you like it!

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Thank you for updating your application, and sorry for not reading it sooner. So although your story has been rewritten, there are still a number of issues (some of which were found in the last iteration even) which are as follows:
  • I'd like you to remove direct interactions with the Grey Lady (and indeed any deity). Your character can't have a romantic relationship with and god.
  • Your character can only be novice level in any skills or disciplines, meaning he can't "[Excel] in all forms of combat and strategy." Those are developments we like to see happen in-game through RP.
  • Characters can't be ill with plagues or other deadly and highly contagious diseases, since the introduction of such ailments would greatly affect our world.
Again, I hope you'll continue to work with us to get your application passed. Just like before, post here so I know when you've made the proper amendments. There's no need to post on my profile, I'll see the notification just fine if you post here. Thank you!

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Thank you for updating your application, and sorry for not reading it sooner. So although your story has been rewritten, there are still a number of issues (some of which were found in the last iteration even) which are as follows:
  • I'd like you to remove direct interactions with the Grey Lady (and indeed any deity). Your character can't have a romantic relationship with and god.
  • Your character can only be novice level in any skills or disciplines, meaning he can't "[Excel] in all forms of combat and strategy." Those are developments we like to see happen in-game through RP.
  • Characters can't be ill with plagues or other deadly and highly contagious diseases, since the introduction of such ailments would greatly affect our world.
Again, I hope you'll continue to work with us to get your application passed. Just like before, post here so I know when you've made the proper amendments. There's no need to post on my profile, I'll see the notification just fine if you post here. Thank you!
So making a character based off of this supposed elf that was beloved by the Grey Lady is against the rules? I just want to be 100% positive on that point.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Having a character that is so well favored by any god is not a dynamic we allow any character to achieve in their origin story. So you character can not be "beloved by the Grey Lady," no.

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Having a character that is so well favored by any god is not a dynamic we allow any character to achieve in their origin story. So you character can not be "beloved by the Grey Lady," no.
Alright, then back to the drawing board!

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
I've finished another draft, so please, take a look and tell me what you think!

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
This is looking a lot better! I would however, like you to revise the wording in the last four lines or so. I really can't stress this enough:

"Characters begin with basic skills and gear. No advanced armor or weaponry. Skills and abilities are appropriate to a novice level. Skills should be learned through roleplay, not through backstory."
This stands not only for combat abilities, but for any abilities at all. We want your character to be developed in-game, so don't worry about assigning him abilities in your back story. What should make your character interesting is how he conducts himself as a person, not his skills or abilities. See if you can shift the focus off of his abilities a little (mostly in the last four lines or so, like I said) and I think you should be good! Thanks again for sticking to it!

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
This is looking a lot better! I would however, like you to revise the wording in the last four lines or so. I really can't stress this enough:

"Characters begin with basic skills and gear. No advanced armor or weaponry. Skills and abilities are appropriate to a novice level. Skills should be learned through roleplay, not through backstory."
This stands not only for combat abilities, but for any abilities at all. We want your character to be developed in-game, so don't worry about assigning him abilities in your back story. What should make your character interesting is how he conducts himself as a person, not his skills or abilities. See if you can shift the focus off of his abilities a little (mostly in the last four lines or so, like I said) and I think you should be good! Thanks again for sticking to it!
So, take out anything referring to his abilities at all? Does this include his studies, training, etc.? In other words, if he were to have trained and studied before, would these skills be useable in a role-play situation (i.e. A show of wits or swordsmanship?), or are things developed in role-play the only form of learning, meaning he enters as a blank slate with no skills, but they develop over time?

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
More so the latter statement. It's not so much that your character can't know anything more so that they can't be great at anything. Your character can know novice level cooking or fighting or whatever, but to become adept, they need to develop in RP. So yes, RP is the only source of learning and development, and the only way of achieving advanced skills for your character.

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
More so the latter statement. It's not so much that your character can't know anything more so that they can't be great at anything. Your character can know novice level cooking or fighting or whatever, but to become adept, they need to develop in RP. So yes, RP is the only source of learning and development, and the only way of achieving advanced skills for your character.
Thanks, I apologize for taking up all this valuable time, I'm just trying to make sure I meet all standards perfectly. Thank you again.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Don't worry! I'm just glad you haven't gotten frustrated with me for holding you to our standards. Poke me again when you've made the amendments.

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Don't worry! I'm just glad you haven't gotten frustrated with me for holding you to our standards. Poke me again when you've made the amendments.
Well, you asked me to poke you. I do hope you don't mind his being a tad tall for a Dwarf. And yes, this is a story from his boyhood.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Alright, you've made a great improvement over your last test, which has me very excited! I'd like you to remove the butterfly that follows him around, and shorten him a few inches. I'd prefer that your character isn't too far out of the normal range for his race (and four inches is too much) and we don't allow disney-esque animal companions. Do those two minor edits, and you'll be good to go! Nice job!

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Alright, you've made a great improvement over your last test, which has me very excited! I'd like you to remove the butterfly that follows him around, and shorten him a few inches. I'd prefer that your character isn't too far out of the normal range for his race (and four inches is too much) and we don't allow disney-esque animal companions. Do those two minor edits, and you'll be good to go! Nice job!
Alright, I changed it to a bird, and only made it a sort of childhood pet, no longer breathing in his adulthood. Also, he is now a tad shorter. Better?

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Congratulations!

I'm pleased to announce your application has been approved. I hope you enjoy your stay in Altera. Before logging on make sure you read the Survival Guide. It will help you on your way to get established in our World. If you need to know any additional information, everything can be found in our Tome of Citizenship. Make sure you consult either of these two before asking a question ingame.

For easy reading- Here's our Starter Guideonce you login!

If you're stuck unable to interact with anything or chat, try using /warp whitelist, if this doesn't work then please message a staff member with the problem.

You are probably eager to jump into the game, so there is no need to read all the links. Just use these as a reference for later.(very useful, by the way.)
Survival Guide
Tome of Citizenship
Commands Guide
How to create your character profile
Town Census
Server Rules
Using Titles ingame
Rules for Roleplay
The Players' Handbook

Lastly, please make sure you understand the following points. It's very important. As a new player, once you play you may be tempted to "test" out an x-ray mod... don't do it! We have a zero tolerance policy for it.

1) We have active members of staff monitoring players suspected of using X-RAY. We have extensive logging capabilities which also highlight to us when X-RAY is suspected. Anyone caught using X-RAY mods or Transparent Texture Packs will be permanently banned without appeal.
2) Anyone found to be griefing our server and subsequently blaming their sibling, friend, dog or any other person other than themselves will be banned irrespective of their innocence.