Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The saga of Cudgelquakes

arcosanti

I think I might like it here
You never knew about it before?
I had - but it wasn't available for OS X last time I was DFing. It's like wearing glasses for the first time - suddenly I can see everything so clearly!

But based on a closer reading of the update? If I find a Dodok Melbilelis Cheese [5] anywhere in the fort, I'll know who to blame. :confused:

JustShadow

Zalenfal Guardian
I love how on both graphs I've been put as one of the highest, but I still have no idea how to play this game after two weeks of 'learning' xD

S

Stevey

Why does the organisation level out on my turn? You have no idea how I OCD on organisation, if you see my fortresses they are all built around efficiency :p

S

Stevey

22nd Granite, 552
Some more migrants 'ave arrived ! excellent ! les'ave a look:

Animal Trainers, hmm useless, Mason and stone detailer, ah excellent ! a doctor, a brewer, leatherworker ah these dwarves will be put ta great use !

Aerite, first we're needen a defense an' we need a military fer it. These new dwarves will make a good squad, we only 'ave seven crossbows so that will have to do fer now.

23nd Granite, 552
mae first military order is ta slay this opossum das been lurken 'round the fort, ae believe it to 'aven evil plans

ae'm not sure why thems not fighten with crossbows though !

27th Granite, 552
all dwarves ta yer combat stations! we're 'aven an intruder!

les 'ave a closer look:

aereat das et, kill it!!!

17th Felsite, 552
ah good today an elven caravan has arrived

les' kill it!!

1st Hematite, 552
today one of me dwarves made me an excellent drinkin' cup

19th Hematite, 552
even more migrants! draft them into the military!

arcosanti

ae'm not sure why thems not fighten with crossbows though !
Has ammo been assigned to the squad? Otherwise, the crazy buggers will just run out there and melee the heck out of the target....

27th Granite, 552
all dwarves ta yer combat stations! we're 'aven an intruder!
...did you really get a human as a forgotten beast? Or was this an evil human? I assume the actual combat was anticlimactic because we don't have the play-by-play? I don't think I've ever had this happen in a game.

Oh! Or please tell me this was the necromancer showing up all alone without his army of zombies and got a good old-fashioned dwarven beatdown. :D

wanderin_robin

Admin au Naturale
...did you really get a human as a forgotten beast? Or was this an evil human? I assume the actual combat was anticlimactic because we don't have the play-by-play? I don't think I've ever had this happen in a game.
Ive had it a couple of time, the human will wander on to the the map, then leave soon after without doing anything

S

Stevey

Has ammo been assigned to the squad? Otherwise, the crazy buggers will just run out there and melee the heck out of the target....
Yes, I think it was because I assigned them to attack right after forming the squad so they didn't have the time to pick up any equipment - they're doing fine now.

Sadly he left before I could get to him :( I've had these humans visit quite a few times and they always leave soon after.

S

Stevey

Out of character:
Wow its spring faster than I thought ! There was so much stuff I still wanted to do. I've got all the dwarves organised into different industries and tasks, I have done a lot of exploratory digging around the fortress trying to find some good metals, but the only thing I could find is copper and the odd tin to make some bronze. I haven't been able to find either iron or coal. I've also dug a channel to the caves to do some exploration and sealed it off with a drawbridge.

The brewing industry is booming, and we have I think three legendary stonecrafters creating crafts constantly. I've started making charcoal and smelting copper and bronze, ready for being made into weapons. I've bought some bars and a lot of weapons and armour off the dwarven traders. We also have a ton of meat and cheese from the traders, make sure it's stored in barrels and process them into meals quickly.

The military is also set up with most eligible dwarves drafted into the military. I usually go for two or three crossbowdwarf squads. I've also added a few extra traps. I recommend hunting wildlife with the marksdwarves so they can train up their skills and keep the rest training constantly - better prepare for when this necromancer decides to come and take a look :p

Here is the save file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46464258/Cudgelquakes.rar

JustShadow

Zalenfal Guardian
I've decided to step out of this, for this revolution at least. I'm going to see my dad tomorrow, for two weeks. As a result, I won't have much time to actually spend playing the game. So Jak can go straight after Robin :)

wanderin_robin

Admin au Naturale
What follows is coresponce between 'Wandering' Imsalbomrek, Interior Designsdwarf, and his mother.

Autumn 552
Dear Mummykins,
New job today, the kings some sending me to some fortess in the back of beyond that needs a bit of a makeover. Oh I'm so excited mother dearest, I've been packing for two days and I can hardly lift my little jaguar leather backpack. Nearly had to leave behind that pair of Giant Cave Spider silk gloves that Uzol got me last summer, you know the ones, the dusky grey pair that are absolutley to die for. Found a lead for Cog my rabbit, (hes got so big and cute since you last saw him you would not believe) and set off in the caravan with the other migrants heading for 'Cudgelquakes'

The journey was so very dull darling, trees and fields, somtimes a hill but oh how droll it all was. The company wasn't much either, all gruff miners and farmers, not at all like the crowds I was mixing with back at the Interior Design College. Actually there was one thing, a big creepy looking tower, gave me the shivers it did!

Arriving at Cudgelquakes I was dissapointed to find no welcoming party had been laid on for my coming. I mean seriously, I had to fetch my own cheese and wine roast, what is the world coming to?! The expedition leader had no idea who I was or why I was here, those administrators back home are totally useless darling! I decided it was best to get myself settled into fortress life.

cheese and wine.png

They do make some darling little stone crafts, I've sent you a pair of gorgeous slate earrings back with this letter, though I still haven't seen a jewellers to get you something pretty for your birthday.

Love from your little Imsykins

P.S. Just been informed there is no clothier in the fortress, no wonder everyone is walking round in those awful river otter leather caps, they were last in fashion that season where gabbro armour stand were all the rage!

Spring 553
Dear Mother Darling,
Finally got round to start my proper job, can you believe the so called 'Sovereign' of this place had me doing maid duties for the past two seasons? Moi, a maid?! That wasn't the straw that broke the one-humped camels back though...

Oh no, that was finding this locked room at the bottom of a (one of the numerous) staircases. After finding some strong, burly dwarf to force it open I was horrified to discover the skeleton of one of the former residents surrounded by piles of cheese! I don't know what that 'Lars' was thinking, I mean honestly, the room wasn't even smoothed and there was rubble and cheese everywhere.

corpse and cheese.png

After the "dwarf corpse aged cheese" fiasco, I set about invoking my powers as Master Interior Designsdwarf. Turns out I was better qualified to lead this fortress all along.

better qualified.png
Ill leave the psycopath 'Sovreign' to being the manager, should keep him occupied as he'll have plenty to do, starting with ordering a coffin for that poor dwarf he locked downstairs (this fortress seems to have an unusual lack of burial recepticals, not sure if its was just overconfidence in the 'Sovereigns' leadership or an oversight, but I've put it on my list of things to do, Im using that little chicken leather notebook you picked up for me in Stukonmeg, you know the really cute one with the image of rope reeds sewn on it?)

Now Im mayor I've had to address a few problems before starting this fabulous makeover, first of all with the military, just look at what there schedule was, no wonder they all had long faces! I scheduled them in a few months off every year to have a break from military tasks to give them a bit of 'me' time. A pampered dwarf is a happy dwarf.

intesive training.png

PROtip Lars, when squads are set to train 10 minimum they will only train properly if 10 dwarves in their squad show up. Only one of your squads had 10 dwarves, so only that one did any proper training. Also if one went for a drink or a snack everyone else would stop. This unfortunate lack of training was fun later on :D
Also, whoever was in charge of the last military only set one of the archery targets to be used, and you know these soldier types, if they're not given orders to do something then they wont do it, so even though the room was full of targets those silly fools were taking it in turns to use just the one!

As I was sorting out some of the proffessions, broadening out the skills base from the three or so jobs Lars 'The Dictator' had set for everyone, so we could make more pretty things the fortress was suddenly beset by new migrants! Some were from the Royal Society of Interior Designdwarves as well, I've never been so ashamed as I was nearly a season through my first proper job and all I'd done was discover a skeleton and some cheese and reschedule the military. I quickly made some appologies, threw some parties and hurriedly started work on improving the rather paltry dining hall.

dining hall.png

While some of those butch, rugged legendary miners set to work carving out the new hall I took a look round some of the engravings in the residential levels. My my, there are some fine engravings but the lack of variety is mind-numbing, entire rooms are carved with this image over and over again.

repetetive.png

When the obssesed stone detailer deviates from this path it's never into anything fantastical, I mean leeches? Is that the best they could come up with?

leeches.png

I also found one glorifying the murder of an elf at this very fortress! I tried to reason with the hammerer about getting the detailer punished for idolising this horrendus act, turns out the hammer was Lars 'The Tyrant', who'd actually give the order to beat up those poor elves in the first place, I really can't win my dear.

elfmurder.png

I was begging to get a little worried about the artistic talent this fortress had to offer when one of the dwarves went in a funny mood. Few weeks later it turned out they had produced quite possibly the most dull artifact in existence.

dull aretefact.png

Oh woe is me, I've been sent to work with a bunch of creativley retarded morons! I'm getting a little worried I'll have to do all the engravings myself, last time I tried my hand at it I had blisters for weeks, and the schist dust never washed out of those cute little alpaca wool trousers.

Love from your pretty pebble,
Imsal

S

Stevey

Love it Robin! Thanks for the protips, I thought making a room into an archery range from one archery target would make them use all the targets within that same room? I'll need to do some testing. Really good point on the minimum train amount, I've seen it before but I forgot!

wanderin_robin

Admin au Naturale
Late Spring 553
Dear Mother Dearest

Oh mummy you've no idea the week Ive had, the stress, oh!
Started off fairly normal, you know, planning out some rooms and getting some offices built when out of the blue

ambush! - Copy.png

Gave me the fright of my life! Naturally, as mayor, everyone looked to me for a plan. This wasn't what I'd signed up for mother, I'll be writing a strongly worded letter to the king, just you see. Anyway, since it was only a teensy goblin ambush I decided to send the full force of the army to crush them, and hopefully get them some experience.

arrowstorm.png

Ooh you should have seen it mother, a literal storm of bolts tore through them! The sight of the ranks of marksdwarfs straining and reloading set me all a-quiver! Unfortunately a goblin pikeman managed to take out a gatherer, oh I could hardly look at his mangled little body.

death - Copy.png

Then almost as soon as all the goblins were defeated, oh my god you will not believed what happend...

zombie - Copy.png

chuff.png

Bother.

The ranks of poorly trained soldiers were brutally cut down as they retreated to the fortress by the hordes of the undead. Don't worry too much mother, Ive sealed all the entrances and we've got enough food, drink and fabulous clothing to keep us going. The night times are the hardest, I cuddle up to little Cog and listen to the sounds of the goblin corpses shuffling around the land above, and the cries of the dwarves trapped outside. I'm not cut out for this job mummykins, I'm really not.

oops - Copy.png

Hopefully this pidgeon delivers this letter to you darling, and it hasn't turned into a zombie that tries to eat your face.

Lots of love
Imsykins

arcosanti

Robin, I'm sad that I can only like your posts once. I've enjoyed reading them again and again.

And wow - I can't imagine a worse time for that necromancer's tower to rear its ugly head. This should certainly be interesting fun - and still only spring!

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
So the undead horde will be out there while I manage the fortress?

Hobbit power, to the rescue!